Old 06-22-2002, 10:35 PM   #1  

Default How much carbs should i be eating

Hi

If I want to loose a pound a week, how much carbs should I eat per day.

I have heard the range should be about 60.

Thank You...

Suzanne
Old 06-23-2002, 12:15 AM   #2  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

That sound about right. if you are doing a higer carb woe. many people go on maintainance and eat about 60 a day. it will have to tdepend on your body. what you should do is first start to lower your carbs, or go cold turkey for about a week. that will help change your body to getting used to burnig the fat for fuel. that is the reason that atkins has it's 2 week induction. if you do not, then you may have a harder time getting your body adjusted and not be able to follow the woe as good. I find that if i do ot go all the way down to about 30 a day then i do not do as good and still have cravings. then slowly increase your carbs, by 5 a day and hold for a week see how much weigh you lose then increase it by 5 more. this way you can adjust your body to lose the 1 lb a week.

whch plan are you trying to follow? and how much weight do you have to lose. that all plays part in the info and how much to eat. also do not think that this woe is a free for all with fat. you must be moderatly controled with the fat to actually lose weght because if you eat 3000 cal a day and only 30 carbs you still may put on the weight. so there are many variables to be so controled with your weight loss.

by the way welcome and hope to see you post often
Old 06-23-2002, 12:27 AM   #3  
Old Cackler

Default sue... why aren't we asleep???

but i'm going in a few minutes. hope you are too
Old 06-23-2002, 07:13 PM   #4  
Lifetime Member

Hi Suzanne.

How many carbs you should eat is actually a very complex answer. Before we can really help you, we need to understand a few things about you. For instance, as Sue so correctly asked, how many pounds are you trying to lose, and are you trying to follow a particular plan of low carbing?

There are many different plans, and each one has a different way of approaching the entire issue of how and why to eat a low carb diet. It actually is not a diet, but a way of life. That is, we should be eating this way for the rest of our lives. It is not for losing weight, but that can be a great side benefit.

Let us know why you want to try low carbs or whose book you read about it. Some plans have you eat as few as about 10 gm. carbs per meal. Some allow as many as 100 per day. In fact, it is not as simple as eating fewer carbs. The reason that is so is explained in most of the books.

If you have not read one of the low carb diet books, I highly encourage to run to the second hand book store or the library and pick one up and read it.

And come back here often, ask any question that is burning in your mind, and we will try to help as much as we can. If it is about low carb, we might be able to help more than if you want to know the reason for our existance or the square root of 6.924. But you never can know what we know, unless you ask. We are delighted to help.

Hope to hear from you soon.
Old 06-24-2002, 04:45 PM   #5  

Hi Ladies:

Thank you for all your information. I have been following WW for about 3 years at home. I have about 10 pounds to loose, and record my data on fitday.com and it is showing I eat a lot of carbs. I do like my pasta,bread,etc. so I was just wondering a ball park fiqure as to how many I should be eating. I have been eating very healthy for a few years now. (well I do cheat ) but not a problem. It is this last 10 pounds to go. I will go and get a book like you suggested, that is a good idea.

I was thinking if I cut my carbs, I may move the last 10 pounds.

Thanks for the great info..

Suzanne