Old 06-11-2002, 01:21 PM   #1  
she who must be obeyed

Default Chick Help Needed....please!!!!!!!!!

I need help!! My husband's brother hits the big 40 next Tuesday. My husband tried to purchase a newspaper from the day he was born, but it was not in stock.

So now, I have been instructed to try to think of something unique for the BIL. My brother in law is a very unique person, he is a little off center but a great guy.

When my husband turned 40, we were in Hawaii on a second honeymoon, my husbands brother had champagne and a wonderful dessert delivered to our hotel room. We thought of doing something like that, but didn't want to copy.

Anyone have any ideas. The BIL lives in the Washington DC area and we are in Atlanta so we need something that we don't have to deliver ourselves.

Come on chicks I know you can help me!!

Thanks
Debbie
Old 06-11-2002, 02:00 PM   #2  
Senior Chicky

Angry

The Big 40!

Suggestions? Hmmmm.

Memorabilia for the date of his birth - why does it have to be a newspaper? Is he into records, cars, any type of collectables?
What was the "in" toy in 1962?

How about putting together a scrapbook. Maybe one picture per year mixed with world or personal events?

Do you know if there is a party planned for him?

Ok, let me keep thinking.....
Old 06-11-2002, 02:12 PM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Good Idea Mamaj - does your hubby have any baby pictures of him, maybe you could get one blown up and frame it or a family pic...??

How about a cookie bouquet instead of a flower one ? maybe there's a place that can make a basket and put some stuff in it like from the year he was born, they have places on the web I'm sure.

Let me do some surfing and if I find anything I'll let you know.

Go to Yahoo and type in the search area "the year you were born" and it will come up with a list of places.

Here's one www.onthedayyouwereborn.com

How about a singing telegram ?? they have lots of fun ones to choose from.

Love, Leens

Last edited by Leens; 06-11-2002 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-11-2002, 02:53 PM   #4  

oooooooohhhhhhh to be the big 40 again!

sigh

I'll think on it, off hand all I can think of is if we all send him a bunch of birthday cards.

40 cards from 40 strangers...how strange!

peach
Old 06-11-2002, 02:55 PM   #5  

My dear hubby found a LIFE magazine at a flea market issued the month and year I was born.
Old 06-11-2002, 02:59 PM   #6  
Senior Chicky

Deb ~

A couple more ideas.

At www.seniorstore.com they have the personalzed and framed paper for 1962. I looked at the delivery time and I think you could get it and sent to him in time. They also have some other cute ideas for personalization.

Overthehillgifts.com has the Your Year Video which looked pretty neat.

How about some entering "your second childhood" thoughts?
Gag gifts are alot of fun for that.

I told Susie to put her thinking cap on too! I think it scared her that she'll be 40 next year and afraid of what I'll come up with! She needn't worry as I'll turn 50 and she'd get revenge on me!

J

Peach-I took too long to post and just read your post! I love the 40 cards from 40 strangers thought! What a hoot!
Old 06-11-2002, 03:26 PM   #7  

Just slipped my self right on in there Janice!!!!

I still don't have any ideas Debkay!!! But when I do....Hey! is he like my dh?....you know....cheap? Send him 40 state quarters....or $40 dollar bills (one a day of course...tucked in Barbie Dolls clothes!)

ok...I think that about shoots my wad!

But one of these days, I'll think of something REALL REALLY BRILLIANT! (don't hold your breath ok?)

peach
Old 06-11-2002, 04:12 PM   #8  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

I know one bad but heavy idea. 40$ in PENNIES!!!!
Old 06-11-2002, 11:39 PM   #9  
WW Moderator

Default 40

When our brother turned 40, we looked for the year he was born on Ebay and found some great ideas. We bought a TV Guide, some coins that were pressed that year, some stamps, and a board game. If he is a collector, a First Day cover from the month and year would be great.

If you want something good to send by mail, try Harry and David. They have the best fruit you will ever eat! He wouldn't care if it was remotely like what he sent you, it will be too delicious! Or deliver him 40 flowers with some congratulations balloons! I gave flowers to my Dad this year for his 71st birthday and he was really happy. He said he never got flowers before, and he honestly liked it. You could also make reservations for him at a hotel with a jacuzzi suite. Ok, it seems like most of my answers are based around sex, food and flowers. Maybe I should copy this to my husband, I have a birthday coming up in a couple of months!
Old 06-13-2002, 07:03 AM   #10  

Wow! Talk about a challenge -- and in so short a time, too.

OK. Thinking cap on. I love the idea of a scrapbook. It's cheap and something that can be put together quickly -- although with a lot of work. Surf the net for any articles regarding the year he was born.

The ideas already given were great but I'll add the on-line encyclopedias would be good also. You should be able to enter things like "USA 1962" and get some good things.

If you have time (and patience), contact some of the elders in your family and ask them for stories from his youth (things you husband may not be aware of). Type them up and include them in the scrap book with a picture of the elder.

If he's into hobbies or collectibles or some sport, surf the net for articles and pictures about that thing from 1962 (i.e., if he's into racing, who was the top racer in 1962, etc.). Add that information to the scrap book -- maybe include today's "in" thing as a comparison (i.e., today's top racer).

That's all I can think of without some more coffee. Whatever you decide, would you mind sharing? My baby brother turns 35 this year and I'm thinking a scrapbook would fit my budget and be something he would enjoy.

Old 06-13-2002, 07:40 AM   #11  
she who must be obeyed

Default Thanks for all the great ideas!!!

My husband managed to find a Time magazine from the week his brother was born, and we have a Life magazine from the same time. We are going to take them and have them framed for him. We won't be able to have them to him by his birthday, but will deliver them to him when we visit over the 4th of July.

Thanks again
Debbie