Old 05-23-2002, 11:54 PM   #1  

Question Some Low Carb Questions???

I have some questions about the low carb way of eating. So here goes. . .

Being that I'm not on any specific diet or plan, do I have to cut out my carbs totally for the efect of the low carb diet to work?

If I increase my prot. and lower my carbs, will that work just as good as if I cut carbs almost out?

The problem is, I know that I eat way to many carbs and think that is why I am (very slowly) loosing. I want to make a change but don't want to give up all my carbs. I have heard of people drinking the prot. shakes and that making a whole lot of a difference. Is that true or not?

I know a lot of questions, but I would rather be informed about what I want to do then to do it blindly and not have it work.

Thank you to all that answer my questions.

Bella23
Old 05-24-2002, 01:51 AM   #2  
A new Mom

bella... I can't speak for everyone, but I know I lose faster on what I refer to as a "restricted" carb program. I don't eat (on my op days anyhow) refined carbs like sugar, white flour, white rice, or potatoes. instead I eat brown rice, whole wheat pasta, and get my carbs from good things like fruits and veggies. I try to always opt for the higher fiber options. I also food combine which means I eat fruit by itself and dont mix carbs with proteins or fats... only veggies. I find this the easiest way for me to stay on program... when I just try to cut carbs way back but still eat them with fats/proteins I tend to end up binging. I don't count my carbs though, and some days I have more than others. It just depends on what I feel like having for lunch... pasta or meat for example.

I think the key is to find the best low or restricted carb program for you and that is one that you can see lliving with for the rest of your life.

I wouldn't think that just adding a protein shake would do much, but I suppose if you drank it with a high veggie meal it would fill you up more. and in that way it could help. I don't know.

hth

Lara H
Old 05-24-2002, 08:34 AM   #3  

Since you asked--yes, a protein shake as a replacement meal will help you follow your program. I have been drinking shakes in the morning myself since I am not such a big breakfast person. However, you really ought to stay away from those things Lara suggested and yes, alwasy opt for higher fiber foods.

The best way to follow a new plan is to learn about it. Go to your local library and check out the low carb diet books. From what it sounds like, you would be interested in following CALP (Carbohydrate Addicts Lifespan Program) by the Hellers. However, I really do urge you to read as much as you can and choose the one plan that is good for you. And please do keep coming back, support on these boards is vital and on top of that we're all a little silly!
Old 05-24-2002, 09:43 PM   #4  
Old Cackler

Default bella!!! so nice to see you here!!!

hey ladies!!! this is bella from another board. she's a wonderful person with lots of kind insights.

so, having said that, all i can do right now is echo the importance to do some research on low carb [and actually, you can get some great ideas by checking out a lot of the older threads on this board]. my sister-in-real-life peach pit has done very well on CALP< and is now doing even better on a low carb version of WW.

the reason some docs recommend the protein shakes is because it helps keep you from retaining fluid, and stabilizes your blood sugar so you don't have those awful highs and lows from the carb roller coaster.

there's no real reason that you HAVE to drink the shakes to lose weight, as long as you're getting 60-80 grams of protein, low fat protein is best, per day.

and that's not always as easy as it sounds. an egg has 12 grams, a half cup of cottage cheese about 13, 3 oz tuna about 22.

and you fill up the rest with lots of low-carb vegs, like leafy greens, zucchini, green beans, tomatoes, etc. vegs like winter squash, corn, carrots, peas are all high in carbs and should be used sparingly.

i think the key to low carb success is making sure that whatever carbs you eat actually have some nutritional value. white bread doesn't cut it. neither do white potatoes.

good luck. and ask all the questions you want. someone around here will know the answer...
Old 05-27-2002, 01:48 PM   #5  
Lifetime Member

Oh, Bella - I like that name! Hi and welcome to our little corner of life.

So, here comes another lecture.... my forte.

The low carb diet is a bit more complicated than just lowering your carbs (never, NEVER, try to completely eliminate all carbs - quite dangerous). Here is why.

When we eat carbs, our pancreas makes insulin because the sugars that carbohycrates are broken down into (mostly glucose) cannot get through the cell walls to give the cells the energy to work. They need glucose - it is like tiny battery molecules. So, insulin helps glucose get through the cell walls, as though they carry keys to the doors.

But insulin, when produced in large quantities, can be very vigorous and rough on the cells. If there is too much around, after a while the cells become resistant to insulin, and it takes more insulin to do the job that a little used to do.

When the dietitians and cardiologists said eat less fat, they expected us to eat more broccoli and cabbage. But Kellogs, General Foods and those guys couldn't make money from our broccoli craze, so they came up with low fat cookies, low fat crackers, low fat Snack Wells of every color and shape. Well, eating more carbs instead of high fiber veggies sort of defeated the low fat point.

Now, those who look are saying we are getting fatter and fatter as a nation, especially our kids. Well, no wonder! Have you ever checked the carb content of a low fat product, in comparison to a "high fat" one of the same kind? Even milk, when they take the fat out, has more sugar.

Sugar = carb. Carb = sugar. So, besides not eating enough friuts and veggies, we (as a nation) were eating more and more carbs. Then they told the athletes to "carb up" before a race. AND, they said eat more and more carbs - breads, pasta, rice, and so on.

Soon, those who were very disciplined were eating all those good carbs - pastas, rice, bagels, and so on - and very little meat or fat. Not even good fats like olive oil or avacados.

And what did that do to my body? Yes, the pancreas was delighted to make more and more insulin. Soon, though, my pancreas would see a huge pasta meal coming in, would put out a river of insulin, and glucose would be brought down to a good level very quickly. But then there was all this left-over insulin, and it would keep pushing glucose out of the blood - aha, that is why I became hypoglycemic (hypo=low, glycemic=sugar). Some people become type 2 diabetics. Others develop PCOS (polycystic ovarian sydrome) or high blood pressure, or high cholesterol (waiting for a good stroke or heart attack) and so on. The disease is hyperinsulinemia - it is the one that causes all those other problems.

Now... what was the original question? Ah, yes - why is low carb a bit more complicated than just eating less carbs? Because we need some carbs, lots of fiber, some fats, and some protein. We need all of it because our bodies uses all of it to make stuff like bones, muscles, heart cells, neurotransmitters, blood cells, antibodies, and even neurons. We even need fats! So, when we don't eat all of the good foods in a good balance, we deprive our bodies of the right building blocks to stay healthy.

What is a good balance of foods? THAT is the complexity. You really need to read at least one of the low carb books to understand what is okay to eat and when. It is not just a list of foods that are forbidden. This is actually a healthy diet for life, not for losing weight. If you do it right (and keep the calories within a good range) you can lose weight. Oh, yes, you do need to exercise, although the Hellers (authors of The Carbohydrate Addicts LifeStyle) say you don't have to. Well, there is a way, but I am not good at it.

Anyway, there is lots to know. And not knowing would put you in a place where you might fail and say this is all a hoax.

Did you know you should not chew gum, even sugar-free gum? The chewing produces digestive enzymes that start the digestive process, and the pancreas makes insulin even if we are not swallowing. And insulin is called the "hunger hormone" because it is what makes us crave those donuts and chocolate chip cookies. It makes us crave carbs.

Okay, I have repeated myself on this board enough in the last couple of days. Enough lecturing, Giggles! Get a life!!!

There is a ton more info to be found out, but you need to read to learn it all. And keep reading. Start with one of the low carb books and go on to another. They are different styles of doing the same thing - getting us to make a normal amount of insulin so we can control our hunger and our cravings.

Can you imagine passing by a plate of just-out-of-the-oven chocolate chip cookies, and not eating one? Not even wanting one? It happens on this diet, when done right.

Okay, now I release you from this endless lecture to live your life without me nagging at you!

Good luck and let us know how you are doing, low carb or not! (We are nosey!)
Old 05-27-2002, 02:57 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Talking Giggles!! Thank you!

Once again I win the Duh Award.

I've been chewing gum relentlessly these past 2 weeks or so. They do have 1 carb each piece, but I never even thought of it starting the digestive process! Oh, well, I've cut that out as of Friday anyway.

Thanks for the advice!! Keep it coming
Old 05-27-2002, 03:32 PM   #7  

jeez, add me to the chewing Trident all day crowd, It had never occurred to me that it caused a big insulin release. So what about crystal light and Diet Soda. Is that tricking our bodies into thinking that there is sugar on the way. Is it swallowing too or just chewing???
Old 05-27-2002, 04:38 PM   #8  

Thank you all for the help. I have been following the "summersize" low cal diet. It has been working for me (today is day 2) So I'll see how that goes.

I also do a workout at the gym about 3-5 days a week, aerobic and wieghts, and an ab workout 2 times a week. And that isn't including running around with my two young kids all day, lol.

I'll keep you all posted on my progress or downfall. What ever happens.

Bella23
Old 05-27-2002, 05:06 PM   #9  
Lifetime Member

Yeah, Chickies,

even pretend sugar sweetened ANYTHING is supposed to cause those cravings.

I just love Pepsi One. Guess it is more sweet-tasting than most. But I did notice when I was out shopping, I bought one and pretty much devoured it. Sure enough, within the hour I was having hypoglycemia problems.

Hypoglycemia is my brand of hyperinsulinemia problem. Not that I don't have others. For instance, I have been eating some of those "legal" dessserts (jello with strawberries [one strawberry per glass] and whipped cream, crustless key lime pie, chocolate cheesecake - big sins, but no sugar) and have been having those cravings at night. So, eater beware.

According to the Hellers (CAD and CALP) even sugar substitutes can do it to you. And it did to me.

Bummer, isn't it?
Old 05-30-2002, 08:48 AM   #10  

I have known people who have lost weight by cutting out -- or even cutting down -- on sugar. I once lost about 25 pounds in, I don't know, 6-9 months simply by cutting out sodas, I did nothing else different.