Old 04-21-2002, 04:24 PM   #1  

Question info

I am confused about low carb diets, I've heard about atkins and such, but the amount of fat in these dietrs seem so much. Is anyone following just a simple plan that is moderate in fat? I'd really like to know about your individual diets . Appreciate all the help I can get on this. Thanx! judy
Old 04-21-2002, 06:53 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Talking Hi Judy!

Welcome to 3FC! I'm from SC also, what part are you from? It's so hot and miserabe right now I'm ready to move, and it's only April I am doing Atkins but there are a lot of smart women on this forum who can answer your questions. Post often, hope to see you around!
Old 04-22-2002, 01:25 PM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Welcome Julynn,

I did to CAD and really enjoyed it. That diet you can make low fat if you choose to. I had great results on it until I got pregnant and gained it all back (and then some).

Right now I am just trying to follow a 1500 calorie diet and watch what I eat. I can't seem to stick with any one diet at the moment but I'm hoping to go back to CAD (carbohydrate addicts diet). They have a book on the market, paperback, its about $5.00. I would suggest reading it.

Good Luck !!

Love, Leens
Old 04-22-2002, 04:55 PM   #4  
Senior Chicky

Default Hi Julynn and Welcome!

You truly cannot find a friendlier, most knowledgeable bunch of chicks and occasional roosters!

I follow CAD and have (off and on) for many years. You have control over how much fat you allow this WOE is. I try to watch my calorie intake along with my fat. Alternating seafood, fish, lean pork, poultry with my beef helps. Also, I allow myself only certain portions of cheeses, etc.. It is possible to combine controlled carb intake with reduced fat. Please feel free to pick everyone's mind and ask away! Some here have had luck with combining WW with the lower carbs.

Personally, I know that I must restrict my carbs as to not set off cravings for the good ol' "junk aka carbs" that we all love. Having the reward meal truly seems to help with that.

Have you read any of the LC books? Please stop by your local library and pick them up. Some here find Atkins works for them, others CAD or CALP, Protein Power, on and on. I believe that finding the right LC plan that works for you and is realistic for your way of life is the key.

I wish you the best of luck and hope to see you posting and asking much!

Janice
Old 04-22-2002, 05:34 PM   #5  

Hi, Judy!

I've just discovered low-carb diets this winter, with the help of a nutritionist. I follow the Carbohydrate Addicts Diet, too, and am getting pretty good results (down from 250+ to 222 and counting!). After so many years of watching fats and calories, it feels weird to eat cheese, nuts, even bacon! But you're not supposed to pig out on the low-carb diet (or any diet), you're supposed to learn to recognize when you're hungry and when you're not--without haywire insulin production making you ravenous all the time . Having enough fat and protein in my meals, instead of too much sugar, helps me get to that place. Even when I was losing lots of weight on low-fat plans, I always thought I was "hungry" every few hours. And even though I could eat anything I want to now as part of my CAD reward meal, I'm usually pretty happy with a balanced meal, and an orange or something for dessert.

There are tons of books and websites with great suggestions, I'm sure you can find a program that's right for you. I just wish someone had warned me about how dehydrated you get when you start a low-carb diet. So Judy, drink lots and lots and LOTS of water!!! and good luck!

jaelynn