Old 03-26-2002, 06:52 PM   #1  

Default HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up....

Hi--

I've been low-carbing most of this year, and doing pretty well despite some big distractions. I'm down from around 250 January 1 to around 225-226 now. But this last month has been very difficult, and the once the weight stopped slipping off, I began slacking off in big ways and little ways. I'm afraid of falling all the way off the wagon. I'm supposed to be following CAD, but these past couple of weeks there's hardly been a day where I haven't found some reason to cheat. I do work out, but it's also been more sporadic lately. I'm so proud to have gotten this far, but it's like I'm sabotaging myself at the same time

A pep talk would be very helpful right about now....Thanks!

jaelynn
Old 03-26-2002, 10:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs down Oh, Jaelynn!!

I know exactly how you feel and I'm so sorry! It's awful to have this momentum built up and then, WHAM, something gets you sidetracked and then PLOP, off the wagon you go. Well, don't break anything on the way down, ok? We've got strong arms to hold you up here and strong shoulders for you to cry on. God knows, I have fallen off the wagon so much that being OP feels like being off the wagon Post often, maybe post your menus so someone (other than me) can tell you what to cut back on that might be triggering cravings. You never can tell what is doing you in! Good luck!! You've lost so much so far, please don't give up on yourself now!
Old 03-27-2002, 07:40 AM   #3  

Hi, J-

You have lost a lot of weight in 12 weeks- 25 lbs from Jan 1st to now is about 2 lbs a week. That is HUGE!

Maybe your body needs to slow down the weight loss, that is the max loss per week you can expect to see. And maybe you have GAINED some muscle as well (you know, the muscle weighs more than fat thing?)

But I think you've done great- I wish I'd lost 25 lbs in 3 months- and here's the mext motiviational idea we rely upon alot- are you ready?

plateau=maintenence! You may just be finding your eating patterns for maintenence, and after a rest, can go back to loss. You know where you are off program, and you'll get back to it. Have you considered a different LC plan for a break? Protein Power is a good one that gives you a chance to eat some "good" carbs over the day as you prefer- like some fruit, or all at once for a treat. Or a week or 2 on Atkins Induction always breaks the carb craving and "clears" your body so you get back to being satisfied with less food.

Good luck, and keep posting

If you post some daily menus', someone might have ideas for you

dottie
Old 03-27-2002, 10:30 AM   #4  

Goodforme and Dottie: Thanks for your wise words! I appreciate your insights. I'm struggling with feeling out of control, which I rarely have this year (except for right around Valentine's Day, too much chocolate everywhere!). Mornings I have a green salad and some protein--turkey sausages, a slice of crustless quiche, etc. Lunch is a veggie and some chicken or fish, usually leftovers, and something crunchy, like celery sticks with cottage cheese or peanut butter. Dinner includes carbs, like rice or pasta, along with a veggie and usually another salad and maybe fruit or frozen yogurt for dessert.

I'm not blaming this on a plateau or a stall, it's my behavior. The problem is that suddenly I'm snacking on food provided by others, even though I can't say that I'm hungry between meals. I don't seem to be able to just say no to illegal foods between meals. It's as if I'm possessed by a demon, and I don't even have an internal debate about that slice of cake. And I'm beginning to eat too much at dinner, I know. Part of this is emotional, my home life isn't great right now, but I can't figure out if the problem is in my head or in my plan.

Dottie, I've been thinking about switching for a while to either carbs throughout the day, or to no carbs at all (which I did for about three weeks in January). Suggestions welcome....

But since I couldn't sleep very well last night, I got up early and worked out, which felt great. Right now I'm at one of the weights my body has been at before, so I know my fat cells are resisting me. I'll probably have a variation of this again when (note that I said "when," not "if"!) I get down to around 200.

Having you ladies to talk to has been tremendously helpful! Thanks!

jaelynn
Old 03-27-2002, 05:39 PM   #5  

Talking Ohhhhhhhh, cake!

And cookies and the dang candy jar at work. All our maintenance men come in throughout the day and if the jar is empty, there is always someone asking me to fill it up again. Of course, it lives too close to my office for comfort! Anyway, that is what the problem is.

I have a weak moment and succumb to that desire for chocolate or french fries or bread or whatever it is. Then, I start the craving all over again. Then it's even harder to say no the next time. That vicious cycle. I hate it!

Hope it goes better for you (and me 2!)
Old 03-27-2002, 06:01 PM   #6  

Good forme--

You're like me, one false move and I'm gone! It's why I switched from low-fat to low-carb. I've always been able to put it away some food when I was in the mood, okay? But just this past year or two, I've had these uncontrollable cravings --and not for apples, either, but for good and bad carbs--which is why I visit this part of the board sometimes.

Today was the first day in a while that I've stayed OP with both eating and working out. And it feels great! Of course, the day isn't over, but I'm hopeful! Thanks for the positive reinforcement. I will have to figure out a proactive strategy for the next time desserts float around my office.

Take care--jaelynn
Old 03-28-2002, 12:33 PM   #7  
Senior Chicky

Wonderful words of wisdom and understanding from some wonderful chickys!

I managed to stay strictly OP for 34 days and one stupid little slip sent me into a tailspin until this past Monday. Oh, I had some OP days in between but .... Last week I reminded myself of all the reasons I want and need to stick to plan. I'm now back OP AND (close your eyes Dottie) I've been to the gym every day this week. I must admit that going to the gym has made me more motivated to stay with my program. I sure don't want all these sore muscles to get lost in a tootsie roll!

Our friends here sure help us get back on track !!

J
Old 03-28-2002, 05:30 PM   #8  

Angry Hello

Hi everyone, I am new here and this seemed like a good low carb thread to start with

I am doing Atkins and have lost a little over 30lbs. since January. I have not cheated once, but I am having major urges. Came here looking for support and inspiration.

Does anyone know if there is an actual Atkins thread, or does everyone just do the low carb ones?

I am really hoping I make some friends on here
Hope to hear from someone soon
Old 03-28-2002, 06:02 PM   #9  

Talking Welcome ChbbyBnny!

A lot of us do Atkins, and a lot of other great programs such as Suzanne Somers, Protein Power, and CAD. These are all wonderful and work fine! The one for you just depends. I think there is an Atkins thread somewhere on this site, but we are such a great group I mainly post here! Come over to the daily thread for laughs, inspiration, and terrific advice. Hope to see you soon!!
Old 03-28-2002, 10:15 PM   #10  
Senior Chicky

Default Welcome chbnny bnny !!

I absolutely love meeting new yellow chick faces! I was one too a while back!

CBnny-There are so many of us that follow different LC woe (way of eating) that we just all jump in together. Although the plans may differ the basic concept is the same.....reduced carbs AND support. AKa (also known as ~~ same battle--different war )

Just jump right in and ask ANY type of LC question. These wonderful chicks will have knowledgeable answers for you!

Old 03-29-2002, 04:16 PM   #11  

Yeah I found an Atkins thread on here, but it is really really old. I think I am just going to stick to posting on here

I did my weigh in today, and am down 3 lbs! (yeah, go me!)

I am doing really good, having a really good day too. My only hang up has been that I am craving non carb foods, like lunch meat and things. Really bad. I haven't given into this too often but am wondering why I would crave those? Hmm, maybe just a mystery of life

Well, I am going to scoot, hope you all are having great days, and Happy Easter!
Old 04-04-2002, 05:48 PM   #12  

Unhappy Where is Everyone?

Where has everyone been???
Old 04-04-2002, 05:51 PM   #13  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

We are all still here. Check out the daily threads! Come and post there. That's where we hang out.
Old 04-04-2002, 11:35 PM   #14  

Uhm..ok, daily threads, right, why didn't I think of that

Wouldn't it make more sense to just be loyal to a couple of threads instead of starting a new one every single day? Or at the very least let newbies know where to find all you loyal people, you know, so we don't go days thinking ok, where is everyone. Just a thought
Old 04-05-2002, 06:49 AM   #15  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default Explanation

The Daily is kind of like getting together for coffee or chatting on the phone. Some of us post there every day and some just once in a while. Some days we have a long thread - other days it's short. Having a single very long thread is an administrative nighmare when it is time to clean up the database.

You will notice that we are posting on several threads right now, the Daily, The Phone Call Thread and the Fat Acceptance Thread. The dates are the clue. Most people come to the Low Carb Forum first rather than to a bookmarked single thread - is that perhaps why you thought nobody was around?

Anyone can start a new thread. Jaelyn, for example, needed some support and reassurance and started this thread. AdoAnnie stated the thread on a magazine article. Please feel free to start a thread of your own at any time.

Anyhow, it sounds to me that you are on track with Atkins. Excellent loss in such a short time.

Holler (via PM) if you have any questions.

Ruthxxx (Big Chicken Purse Owning Moderator)