Old 01-21-2002, 02:10 AM   #1  
Lifetime Member

Default Did anyone see the Atkins thing on "48 hrs"?

I saw the old man himself, as well as a POSITIVE comment about low carbing on that show. I was shocked to see that someone finally did a study and had something correct and even hopeful to say about Atkins' diet and about low carbing in general!

Did anyone else see that program?
Old 01-21-2002, 07:28 AM   #2  

We watched it. The next day we were at Sam's Club and I came across a couple looking at a Atkin's book for, I think, $29.00. I told them to go to the used book store down the street where they will find many books on Low Carbing. They should get quite a few books for the money.
Old 01-21-2002, 08:58 AM   #3  

We saw it, too. It was teriffic to see him speaking to physicians about the diet as well.

Hi Giggles, ...are you doing CALP again? I think that's what you used to do, I'm not sure. I am struggling, but doing the Schwartzbein/ PP/ no sugar-flour thing, trying to stay under 50 or 60 carbs, lower calories.
It's nice to have you back.

dottie
Old 01-21-2002, 09:06 AM   #4  

Oh Poo!

I meant to watch it, but forgot it was on.
Old 01-21-2002, 12:07 PM   #5  

I was so amazed that mainstream media had something good to say about Atkins. My husband watched with me and we were both really surprised. Just because I'm perverse in my own way, I went to the Weight Watcher website after the show aired to see what their comments were. Man, were a lot of the posters there mad! I'm hoping that someday soon the media, medical community and society in general will accept that different plans work better for different people. There is no such thing as the "one plan fits all" idea that we've heard for so many years. I do wish that the media didn't focus so much on only Atkins though. There are so many low-carb plans out there and I think they grab onto Atkins because it's generated the most controversy. I wish people understood that most of the low-carb plans don't call for no carbs at all. Even Atkins reintroduces some after induction, if I recall. I guess it's just not sensational enough if you tell the whole story.
Oops, I kinda got off track there! Sorry!
Chickadee
Old 01-21-2002, 05:40 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Talking I love Dr. Atkins!!

I made everyone in my house watch it! He is so right about how people who never tried it and never read about it slam it. I am so happy that he had a chance to speak!
Old 01-22-2002, 01:34 PM   #7  
Give Peace A Chance !

Hello guys, it has been a minute since I have posted over here, I have been so busy on my thread but I wanted to add me 2 cents in on this topic. I saw the show too and I was amazed that it didn't come out that many research projects have been done before and proved this to be a sound WOE. And that after the study that was done for the show all that was said is it is worth a closer look. If your lab values are better and you are losing weight and you are feeling good with lots of energy I think that says it all not just worthy of a closer look. There is big busness behind that low fat industry and we will never really get the truth about this WOL because it isn't profitable to the many only to one person, Dr. A. If he were to cut a few folks in I'm sure the whole truth would come out then. JMHO