Old 01-06-2002, 02:55 PM   #1  

Default starting induction

Hi Folks:

I posted a couple of days ago looking for suggestions regarding which woe to follow. I have decided to try Atkins. I know it is very strict, but I think that it what I need.

I'm starting induction tomorrow. Any suggestions for what to eat. I did buy the book and I will use some of Dr. Atkins sample menus, but would like other suggestions. Especially for breakfast and snacks.

Thanks,

Nancy
Old 01-06-2002, 03:40 PM   #2  
Big Loser

Cream Cheesy eggs are great for breakfast.

Hard boil 2 eggs and mash with about 2-3 ozs of cream cheese a little salt and pepper and you have a delicious breakfast. I sometimes have some bacon too...makes me hungry just thinking about it.
Old 01-06-2002, 03:41 PM   #3  

Default Hi Nan,

I am devoted to Atkins, although I have no recent success to tell you about!

But I will say that it is great especially for getting started, and you can add in carbs as you go along, or switch easily to another plan. But many of us use Atkins Induction as the gold standard for getting back on track- to just clear the cravings and get that fat buring started up!

So, good luck! Although many folks get skittish about the meat/ fat levels, I do think it helps enormously in the first days especially to eat the allowed "treats." So I always include big, homemade hamburgers with cheese melted on them, full fat dressing on my salad, and bacon or sauasages or whatever in the beginning. Garlic butter on shrimp. Salami. Steak. Enjoy yourself!

dottie
Old 01-06-2002, 05:29 PM   #4  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

If I am on the run I will have a protein bar or two or a shake but the fav breakfast is eggs!!! I also have faux cream of wheat ithink it is on the recipe section, or faux rice pudding . You can eat any meat there is no firm rule that you have to eat eggs one i have had chilli, chicken tuna roast beef, most anything for breakfast. and if you are looking for fast foods then of course the hard boiled eggs do make a great meal!! (breakfast today)
Old 01-07-2002, 09:43 AM   #5  

Good morning.

I was on Atkins this past summer. Lost 19 pounds in 6 weeks. Unfortunately, I fell off the wagon and regained 15 pounds. It could have been worse, I guess.

I'm back on the program again. I really find eggs are the best bet for breakfast. But my doctor was concerned about the cholesterol levels (heart problems run rampant in my family). So I use egg substitutes (same carbs) 5 days a week and reall eggs 2 days a week. I also switched to turkey bacon (same carbs -- lot less fat). You could try frying up some ham. I buy the 1 lb. cans of Hormel Label (98% fat free), slice it on the thick side and fry it in butter spray (I find using real butter for this to be too greasy). Top the ham with an over-easy egg or egg substitute scrambled, and then top it all with some finely shredded cheddar cheese. Yummy!

This morning I had 1/2 cup egg substitute (2 C), 1/4 cup spinache (a small can) - drained (2 C), 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (1 C) all scrambled together in 2 Tbsp lite butter (0 C). Total carbs = 5. Very filling and delicious, too!

When you get beyond Induction, you might want to check out the lite breads at your local grocery store. I found one lite rye that was only 8 C per slice. I bought a loaf and put it in the freezer. That will be for the days I have to eat on the run and can put some sliced turkey or ham & cheese in it for breakfast. (I work as a substitute teacher and never know when I'm going to get called in.) I figured 1 slice of bread with some cheese, ham, or turkey plus my herbal tea (no sweetner) in a travel mug will hold me until lunch. I've pre-made some servings of chicken stir-fry, meatballs with just a little bit of no-sugar-added tomator sauce topped with shredded cheese, and some home-made turkey soup (made with low-carb veggies & lots of turkey). These I put in single-sized serving containers and froze for when I'm call to work. (Thank goodness all of the teachers' lounges have microwaves!) I always have lettuce on hand and my favorite Bleu cheese dressing (0 C) for a quick salad and I keep celery sticks, diced cheddar cheese, and sliced cucumbers on hand for when I need a quick snack for home or to go.

Hope this data helps. Please share any ideas you come up with. I don't like to be bored.

Regards,

Jo