Old 11-27-2001, 05:29 PM   #1  
Big Loser

Unhappy Information needed!

Hi everyone. Today my doctor called and said I have high glucose, slightly elevated is what she said, she put me on glucophase 500mg 2x per day. I have to be rechecked in a month. Do any of you have this condition she said it is a precursor to Type 2 Diabetes, but when I read the info on the drug it says it is a diabetes drug, I am sooooo confused. If any of you chicks know anything about this I would appreciate the info, I have been on WebMD but it is also confusing. Thanks!!!!
Old 11-27-2001, 08:11 PM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Sorry to hear that Scooby.

No I'm sorry I don't know anything about the two but I do work for a pharmaceutical company and a drug can be used to treat many conditions. If you are still struggling with it, please call your doctor and ask him to explain it to you. Sometimes they forget who they are talking to and they think we understand all those medical terms. I'm sure he/she will glady give you more info.

Good luck !!!!!!!!! HUGGS !!!!!!!!!!!
Leens
Old 11-27-2001, 08:18 PM   #3  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

Raechel in real words you do have diabeties.

Diabeties is caused by the body's need to require more and more insulin to deal with the sugar that your body takes in. there comes a point in time that your body can not produce enough insulin by it self to deal with the sugar. that is called insulin resistance.

in short what happens is that as you are young you eat a piece of bread. this takes 10 units of insulin to utalize it properly. then as you get older it takes more and more needing 20 then 30. your body does not produce enough to deal with the need so you need some help. that is where glucophage come in.. there are many others that do the same thing.

if this is confusing then you can email me if needed.

so what happens now is that you really need to be careful of what you eat. and watch what your body is saying if you find that you are getting lightheaded or sweaty, shakey then you need to eat something right away. that means that your glucophage is working to well or you have not eaten enough and the insulin that the glucophage and stimulated has brought your blood sugar down to low.

if you are following a low carb diet then you should be doing ok. but you need to watch verycarefully of what you eat. when you START to feel the blood sugar going down eat some PB that is a good sourse of protein which sill bring the sugar up. but if ti does not bring it up quickly enough then you may have to eat a piece of fruit.

which plan are you following??? and what are your daily intake. that will give me a big help in trying to help you in controling the diabeties. you should if following the diet completely then have control over the diet.

PM me if you need more info or email me at [email protected]