Old 11-12-2001, 08:36 AM   #1  

Question Is this true?

I just read an article somewhere about how low carb diets can lead to a form of anorexia because the person becomes afraid to begin eating carbs again...their hair starts to fall out and they go way beyond what their goal weight was...Do any of you believe this is true? I already suffer from some depression and other pyscological (sp) problems...I have always said I want to lose weight so badly that if I could do it I would starve myself...I am wondering if this choice is a bad one for someone with my emotional unstability...What do you all think?
Old 11-12-2001, 10:11 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default Tough Love Coming Up!

Mel - I think you should consult with your doctor as soon as possible. I've gone back and read your posts since you started in October, and you seem to have some physical problems and are unsure of what diet plan works for you. I also feel strongly that you should get some counselling for your depression if you have not already done so.

As far as low carb causing anorexia, I have never heard of that and I have been low carbing off and on since 1970! No matter what plan you are on, there is always some negative reaction somewhere.

This sounds pretty tough and unfeeling - believe me, it really is not. We want you to be happy and copmfy with whatever plan you choose.

Please let us know what you decide.
Old 11-12-2001, 10:24 AM   #3  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

It is all about becoming informed also. I do know of one person that is afraid to eat any carbs even if it is one. she does not eat any vegies or any thing that is good for her. she is having her hair fall out and is becoming to thin, so yes this ca happen but she is also going by the OLD book. even that one says that carbs are allowed after induction. she has been told by her doc that she is suffering from malnutrition. that is why is is so important to KNOW WHAT you are doing before you start, and learn that this is not a diet but a change in life style. these are the people that are obsesive compulsive, and do have problems besides weight. I to am and have expressed fear of eating carbs again but i knw how to do it and i know that i will. I do not fret if i take ina bit over my carb limit in one day aslong as i realize what i have done and know to make the right chioces. I know that there are good choices and bad choices to make, and i know the difference. that is one of the most important things in decidig to make this your chosen diet. It is the same with any weight loss look at the low cal folks and the loe fat they can do the same thing. my father was that way with red meat and fat, almost anal with his restrictions, you need to know when and how tto have your carbs, ans when you learn that then you will have control over your self, and not let your weight or diet contol you. and ruth is right you may want to seek help if this seems like you, if you have had anorexia of bolemia before you mey need help to adjust to the eating patterns, as they are indications that you may get carried away with the diet, and take it a few steps to fat. the reason we chose this woe s for our health and if we sabotage it then what good is it for???

Very good pint. I am very glad that you brooought this subject up. you did have me do some sole searching so i could answer this one and it iwll be problems that i will come across. so thankyou and i hope that we have helped answer your questions.
(I hope we did not come across as harsh either, but realistic)
Old 11-12-2001, 11:23 AM   #4  
A new Mom

I agree with Sue and Ruth. This CAN happen, but it is no more likely to happen with a low carb "diet" than with any other diet. I know a girl who can't keep herself from throwing up if she even thinks there was fat in something she ate. And it's not bulemia as she doesn't force it, just the fear that she will get fat again from eating fat. Her skin has lost most of it's elasticity and she is so skinny you can see all her bones. It's horrible, and she's not even 30 yet.

I really think that any program can be taken too far, but I also think that if you look at this as a lifestyle change and concentrate on your health and fitness levels rather than on what the numbers on the scale are saying you should do fine. If you find yourself afraid to eat anything then you should definitely take a look at the reasons behind it as that is unhealthy and we are working on becoming the most healthy beings we can. Remember, we want to be around for years to come, and we can't do that if we are dying of malnutrition, and that means not completely cutting out any food group for long periods of time. Cutting down on, or restricting the timing and ammount is usually fine, but don't completely cut anything out that your body needs. (Of course more power to you if you can completely cut out refined sugar!)

Lara
Old 11-12-2001, 02:28 PM   #5  
Senior Chicky

Question Is it True OR Could it be?

Mel~There are negative stories that circulate about many different weight loss plans, and I personally feel that this is yet another.

Anything taken to excess can and probably will be self damaging. If the programs are followed correctly ~~ key word here ~~ correctly ~ I find that story very unlikely. I have not heard of ANYONE having those type of side affects from any of the LC way of eating. I followed the LC woe for over six years, felt great, looked great, lots of energy, no headaches and no side affects. As with any plan, whether it be introducing fats and starches back into your diet or sugars and carbs the potential of weight increase is there.

Remember ~ This is Low Carb, NOT No Carb. The proper protein and vegetables must be eaten. Fruits are permitted. It's about learning the proper way of implementing your chosen plan into healthy eating habits.

I truly feel that for some of the stories we hear it is not due to the type of plan those people are on, but part of their behavior or emotional state. Their obsessiveness is due to that and not the eating program. We all must use good commong sense.

I'm just curious, where did you read this article? I'd like to read it.

J
Old 11-12-2001, 02:34 PM   #6  

Hi everyone it's been ages since I've posted here... I've been low carbing since January of 2000 and had previously lost 62 pounds I put about 10 back on and am working on getting it back off.. It answer to becoming anorexic while low carbing I don't believe this is so... Only way it may is if you become overly obsessed which I don't.. otherwise I wouldn't have gained some weight back right??? but I do have to admit I'm more aware of carbs and have successfully been back on program for 1 week now.. Hopefully I will be 25 pounds lighter by January 2002.