Old 10-28-2001, 08:22 AM   #1  

Question Question about ketosis

I have a question about ketosis. Dr. Atkins says it is a good thing because it means your body is burning fat. My aunt says it is bad because it can make you sick. (My uncle has diabetes and has to check his ketone levels. If they are high, he could go into a coma ) So what exactly is it? Is it good or bad? I don't want to get sick from it! Why is it good if you are healthy, but bad if you have diabetes?
Any answers would be appreciated. I just don't want to get sick, ya know? I worry about my health, which is why I want to lose weight in the first place! HELP!! Mel
Old 10-28-2001, 08:59 AM   #2  

There is a difference between being in ketosis and have the diabetic state of ketoacidosis. My husband is diabetic, and has done well on the Atkins plan. His sugar is within normal levels.

Atkins differenciates between the two in the following:

There are two fuels your body burns for energy. Glucose, the primary fuel, comes from eating carbohydrates. When your body runs out of glucose, it turns to its secondary fuel source: your own body fat. When you reduce your intake of carbohydrates, your body must convert fat into energy, and this metabolic state is called "ketosis." So being in ketosis simply means living off your fat stores. Assuming you're overweight, this process is not only safe-it's desirable!

One reason why people become overweight in the first place is that their bodies have great difficulty in using this backup fuel system. Almost 50 years ago, scientists demonstrated that obese and overweight people differed dramatically from people of normal weight in that they were very resistant to developing ketosis. The Atkins Nutritional Approach helps your body activate its fat-burning system by restricting its primary source of fuel - glucose.

Ketosis is absolutely safe, unless you happen to have no excess body fat. So, why do so many people think ketosis is dangerous? Perhaps because the term is often confused with another K-word. Ketoacidosis is a potentially dangerous condition that occurs in a diabetic whose blood sugar levels are out of control. Ketoacidosis is not experienced on Atkins. We have diabetic patients at The Atkins Center for Complementary Medicine in ketosis whose blood sugar is under control, and they are burning fat and losing weight.

I hope that this helps you to understand, and alleviates your fears.

Lee
Old 10-28-2001, 11:04 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Wink Don't worry, Mel!!

If you are really concerned, you could take the plan to your doctor. Mine told me that low-carb eating would be beneficial for a medical condition that I have called Poly-Cycstic Ovarian Syndrome. It has a lot to do with insulin resistance and hormonal imbalances and this Way Of Eating (woe) is known to correct all that. Plus, like Lee said, people get confused about the two terms. Do some research to alleviate your fears.

Good luck to you!

Sherrie
Old 10-28-2001, 12:10 PM   #4  

Thank you both for your responses! It makes me feel better and makes me feel better that I am choosing the right plan. Ya know, burning fat is something a lot of people try to do and are not successful at it. Why don't they try a low carb diet and see how easy it is to burn off that extra fat? I guess maybe they are afraid too. Low carb diets have gotten a bad rep! Thanks again for the help! Mel