Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 12-20-2006, 10:46 AM   #16  
rethinking myself...

S/C/G: 276/256/175

Height: 5' 11"

I like Bali underwires. They have a lot of different styles. I have a lot of success with them, but I think it's because they fit me well. A lot of underwires are well padded these days. Unless you get some cheap "decorative" type bra, I don't think you should have too much trouble.

Lane Bryant bras are strange. I always feel like the wires are poking me in the armpits. I think they've gotten better in the last couple of years, but they're definitely "set" wider than other bras. I'm something like a 40 C, and my LB bras spread my breasts out so they're pointing out at angles. It's not necessarily bad, just different. It's almost like the back band is shorter and the cups are set further apart.

One thing I learned when I worked at Lane Bryant and fit women for bras was that the underwire should lay flat against your chest the whole way. Most women (even the ones who worked there) were wearing too small of a cup size and the wires would stick out between their breasts or at the arm pits. Not good! We practiced measuring each other and almost always came out with a smaller band and larger cup than what we were wearing (which seemed to be the trend on the Oprah show too).

It's always better to be measured by someone else. For some reason, we aren't reliable when we measure ourselves. I'm not sure about the whole "adding inches" thing either. Some places say add 3-4, some say add 5. If I follow the rule for 5, I end up in a 42 B. There's absolutely NO WAY. These things are not a B. I seem to have better luck with the add 3 or 4 rule. In any case, I just have to try them on. Every brand is different, and sizes even differ within brands.

I was recently shopping for a longline shaper thing to try on with wedding dresses and I was so angry. I picked up a 40 C in a bra and in a shaper from the same brand of similar design. The bra fit and I couldn't even HOPE to fasten the shaper. What the heck? Sometimes things are labeled wrong... but... And of course you're hard pressed to find a 40 in a normal store. There was only 1.
kittymuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:45 PM   #17  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I agree with you on the LB bras They almost flatten you out and send you pointing in 2 different directions!
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:22 AM   #18  
Pending Email Confirmation

hehehe. i have a problem with my cup runneth over in the lane bryant bras. if the cup doesn't even cover my entire nipple - how can i possibly wear that?! ugh.

I read somewhere that for full figure sizes, you were not supposed to add any inches at all to your band size. No wonder we all have such a damn hard time!!!

I got a couple bras at Torrid. They measured me at a 44DDD I haven't worn an underwire bra since highschool... and I hate it. I gotta tell you though, it makes a difference in how I look. The girls are up where they belong, I look like I've lost weight... but man, it's nice to be comfortable too... I must have the wrong size because I am constantly fidgeting with it.
lizziness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 12:11 PM   #19  
a work in progress

I hate, hate, hate underwires...feel like I'm crammed into a whalebone corset I found great Microsateen no-wire bras at LB that fit, and are super comfy, and put -- and hold -- everything where it belongs. But I also had the girl measure me there, and I'm a 46D -- eek. But they finally fit! Don't know if this is nationwide, but here LB is having a sale through the beginning of January for buy 2 Cacique bras, get 2 free, so you know I will be there RIGHT after Christmas.
Katiecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 03:46 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 295/289/265.5 (10% Goal)

Height: 5'9"

I second the bra fitting at Nordstrom. It is sort of assumed that you will buy a bra, so there is that but they are SUPER professional and it is worth it to have at least one good bra that you know fits like a glove. Don't be surprised when the lady comes in the little room with you and basically puts the bra on you though.
compscinerdgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 11:49 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 198/198/178

Height: 5'6"

I'm in Canada, so it may the brands are different here-but what I can suggest above all else is to go to a shop that does it and get properly fitted for a bra. I thought FOREVER that I was a 38/40 D-turns out I am a 42 C. I bought one really nice, expensive bra and now I can go into Zellers or Wal-Mart, places like that and can buy inexpensive bras that fit great.
keeponkeepingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 12:35 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 220/tickers/127

Height: 5'

When I was pregnant in 2003-2004, all the maternity bra sites where I shopped said to not add any inches to the band size. In maternity/nursing bras, it worked.

I've heard add 4" to even band measurements, 5" to odd band measurements. Then measure around the fullest part of your bust. Subtract the band size from the cup measurement. So if you were 36" around for band size, 4" more would mean a band size of 40. If 41 was the measurement around the fullest part of your bust, that would mean a 1" difference and an "A" cup size. A 40-A.

In my case, measuring around my band area is 39". Adding 5 to that since it's odd gives me a band of 44. And around my bust is 45, so a 44-A? I don't think so!! I've been wearing a 40-C from Wal-Mart and it's quite comfortable and I feel it fits me well. Before the weight I've put on in this past year, I was comfortable in a 38-DD. I've tried SOOO many sizes. A 38-DD gives me too big a cup. A 38-D gives me too small a cup. A 40-D was too big a cup, a 40-C seemed just about right.

Back when I was skinny, the usual formula worked just fine. But since having kids and being heavy, it doesn't work anymore.

What a headache!!

luvmyfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 02:36 PM   #23  
*confetti*

S/C/G: 270.9/176.1/165

Height: 5'6"

I never can get the right measurement using the traditional methods. With my current measurements, I usually get an A or AA measurement which is awfully wrong.

The easiest method for me is to go by how my current bra fits. My boobs have shrunk again and both the band and cup are too large. So going down a band and a one or two cup sizes I'm either a 34 DD or a 34 D.

Figleaves has a neat calculator that might help. Since it is a UK site, you can find a conversion table here.

There is also a page in their help section that demostrates what a proper fit looks like.
Zorak is offline   Reply With Quote