Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 10-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #16  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I think I would look best if I had a wind machine following me around. And someone to do my makeup (since I rarely bother). And someone to shop for the right clothes and then dress me like Trinity in the Matrix. And someone to make sure I only go to the kinds of places where dressing like Trinity would be appropriate and super cool. I just can't see myself picking out lettuce in Publix dressed like Trinity. Or waiting in line for stamps.

My life is way too boring to dress in the style I'd like to wear. And I'm waaaay too lazy.

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 10-22-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:00 PM   #17  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I have enjoyed this thread. Being morbidly obese for most of my adult life, I know nothing about style. For work I always wore black pants, black shell, and whatever jackets I could find that halfway fit. As I am getting smaller, I am learning about clothes and various styles an am really enjoying it. There is a blog that I am reading, The Vivienne Files, learning so much. I am also reading various blog posts about Project 333. I love seeing what pieces of clothing that people put together.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:42 AM   #18  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Snark View Post
I think I would look best if I had a wind machine following me around. And someone to do my makeup (since I rarely bother). And someone to shop for the right clothes and then dress me like Trinity in the Matrix. And someone to make sure I only go to the kinds of places where dressing like Trinity would be appropriate and super cool. I just can't see myself picking out lettuce in Publix dressed like Trinity. Or waiting in line for stamps.

My life is way too boring to dress in the style I'd like to wear. And I'm waaaay too lazy.
HAHAHAHA! There should be a Like button on 3FC because there's truth in this.

@OP I don't think you're being a hypocrite by dressing in a way that is available to you right now both in terms of style and what you think looks good. I think most adults have to compromise in some sense and present themselves clothing-wise in a manner that they feel looks appropriate for them and their lifestyles.

For me, I'm lucky I have always had a bright but preppy late 50s, early 60s aesthetic that was easy to work with even in the plus sizes. AND I can dress more or less the same way now even though it's easier now because I have cooler options. I also work in a professional but funky setting (media) and my aesthetic kind of works there so again, I'm lucky.

If truely you have a bustier fetish you can make it work, if you're willing to invest the time to hunt down pieces. I had a couple of bustier-type camisoles from Torrid which I wore under blazers or cardigans or button downs for an adjustable flash of the wild side and Torrid also had leather-looking pants/leggings etc on sale then as well. Ebay was also a really good place to look AND don't be afraid to order from outside the US, there's a lot of cool plus-sized stuff available from Europe that is unique and says I care about my look.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if leather and lace is your look and you feel like you're not being true to that, try to incorporate as much of that as you can into your current look. It may not be a full-on "i'm-a-sexy-beast" uniform of vacuum bustier and skintight leather pants, but you can have some leather and some sexy in your wardrobe if you want. Everyone deserves to feel like themselves in their clothes at least sometimes.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #19  
Badass Brokeleg Bunny

S/C/G: 239.2/199.8/170

I've always wanted to be the kid of person who can put on a plain white t shirt and a ratty pair of jeans and still look like a million bucks.

Not sure all the weight loss in the world is going to help with that, but I keep trying.
tefrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:13 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 170/ticker/125

Height: 5'3 1/2"

Yesss! In a magical ideal world I would wear pretty blouses and pea coats and structured jackets and scarves and stylishly cut pants with color and cool patterns. But I actually dress very sloppy and my color palette is pretty washed out because I don't think clothing fits properly on me, or I would feel extremely self conscious wearing certain things.
polymertastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:33 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by polymertastic View Post
Yesss! In a magical ideal world I would wear pretty blouses and pea coats and structured jackets and scarves and stylishly cut pants with color and cool patterns. But I actually dress very sloppy and my color palette is pretty washed out because I don't think clothing fits properly on me, or I would feel extremely self conscious wearing certain things.
Me too, I relegate myself to mostly black or patterns because I feel like they hide bulges.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 270/245/150

Height: 5'2

Ohhh I so so so relate to this! My "solution" has always been to dress in black. I typically wear all black all the time...or at least very very dark colors. I'd love to wear more color but I don't feel comfortable. We've always been taught that black hides everything and is slimming...so now it's become subconscious. Whenever I go to any store, I just unknowingly gravitate toward black. My friends always joke about black being my favorite color and my friends who don't live in NYC will always make comments like...ohhhh the fancy New Yorker is so sheik in her black dress or black suit, etc. etc.

Black is not my favorite color! It's yellow! I just don't want to look like Big Bird!

Last edited by AAB123; 11-03-2013 at 01:30 PM.
AAB123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:43 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAB123 View Post

Black is not my favorite color! It's yellow! I just don't want to look like Big Bird!
Haha! At least here in NYC you blend in nicely in all black. Don't know how that would work out in suburbia.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #24  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

My fashion sense has grown tremendously since I lost weight. I'm way more daring with my fashion choices than I was before. However, up until the show went off the air, I always had a dream of starting to dress sloppily on purpose so that someone would put me on What Not to Wear and I'd get 5000 bucks to go buy awesome clothes in NYC with Stacy and Clinton. Too bad the show's over.
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #25  
Badass Brokeleg Bunny

S/C/G: 239.2/199.8/170

I just bought a long, sheer, sleeveless charcoal tunic to celebrate 50 pounds down. I look so bohemian and sophisticated in it.

Of course, I will be wearing it with a camisole (or leotard), leggings and a jacket. But still, it's the kind of thing I never thought I could wear and yet it looks awesome.
tefrey is offline   Reply With Quote