Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 11-01-2012, 08:48 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 241/188.8/120

Height: 5' 2"

Lakilaulea-We are practically neighbors! That's awesome. :-)

Alyj89-I've done a couple of the mystery boxes and wasn't impressed either. I tried Amber again this morning and it went on much better, maybe I just wiped too much off inside the neck of the bottle. I really do look forward to the Maven boxes, plus you can do add-ons for about $5 each if there are things you want from another box or skip the month if nothing appeals to you.

I just signed up for Nail Art Society, which is $9.95/month. There's no choice with that one, though, you just get whatever they send out. I think this is their first month, so it will truly be a mystery.
audri8301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:03 AM   #32  
RawFoodie Maintainer :)

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedollylala View Post
I love myself some polish, I have a little over a 100 polishes
you just made me feel a whole lot better about my growing collection! LOL

I love it.

The picture thing is awesome too!! I might redo mine tomorrow, so I'll definitely post
InspiredBy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:14 AM   #33  
mountain walker

S/C/G: 364/354/196

Height: 5ft7"

Hi Ladies....who would have thought I would post twice about nail varnish!
Hubby has said is my natural nails won't grow to a decent length he will pay for acrylics as a Christmas present......does anybody have any useful info?
I don't want to wreck my nails underneath and I have to be practical as I spend alot of time with kids and dogs!
Thanks
mountain walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:05 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/155

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain walker View Post
Hi Ladies....who would have thought I would post twice about nail varnish!
Hubby has said is my natural nails won't grow to a decent length he will pay for acrylics as a Christmas present......does anybody have any useful info?
I don't want to wreck my nails underneath and I have to be practical as I spend alot of time with kids and dogs!
Thanks
Stay AWAY from acrylics!!! I've never tried gel wraps, and I heard they're much better for your nails than acrylics, so try looking into getting that instead. I've gotten acrylics before and each time I always regretted it. The first time I had them done, the salon went cheap with it and basically used fake nails and just put acrylic over it and it hurt!! The fake nails were wider than my natural nails and they stretched them out and I had to get them taken off the next day, which was NOT fun. The second salon I went to was actually much better, but still. They file the heck out of your natural nail so that the acrylics will adhere better, making your natural nails so brittle and thin. Then you pretty much have to get them filled every other week or so or they're ruined. Taking them off is also a pain. You need to get a special remover for acrylics, and again, your nails are so thin and brittle underneath that it takes MONTHS for them to grow back out normal again. Never again. I usually keep my nails short anyway because I type a lot for work, but I've thought about getting gels done. Maybe one day as a mini-goal treat
Lakilaulea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:43 AM   #35  
Finally in control.

S/C/G: 294/236/199

Height: 5'4"

I love nail polish and I love crazy nail polish. I'm wearing Essie Miss Fancy Pants right now. I was just thinking about what crazy holiday colors I can do this season!
ChickieBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:44 AM   #36  
mountain walker

S/C/G: 364/354/196

Height: 5ft7"

Thank you so much for your advice!
I am going to try to grow my natural nails and see how I get on!
mountain walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:23 PM   #37  
Maintaining since 2013

S/C/G: Sz 20/Sz 8/Maintain

Height: 5'11

Here is Chubby Cheeks by Essie:

In some lighting it looks like a rosy coral and other it looks more opaque orange-red.

Lakilaulea - I completely agree with you regarding acrylics, but to each their own. When I had them it was great...by once I removed them my real nails were in horrible shape. It took about 8 months to grow my nails out completely. So natural nails for me from now on. It is time consuming (cuticle oil every night, manicures twice per week etc) but I enjoy it.
mountain walker - My nails grow really fast, but they used to always break. I use Nail Magic from Sally's and it has helped a great deal in keeping my nails strong and in shape.

ChickieBoom - That is such a pretty color!!!!
SunnySide99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #38  
Finally in control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide99 View Post
Here is Chubby Cheeks by Essie:

In some lighting it looks like a rosy coral and other it looks more opaque orange-red.
Chubby Cheeks is cute! You have really nice nails. My nails would never grow like that. I'm pretty clumsy so I'm constantly breaking my nails. Just knocked into something the other day and had to cut all my nails down.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:58 PM   #39  

S/C/G: HW:280 CW:? GW:150

Height: 5 foot 5

I love love love the splatter effects nails!
I just took off shocking seas and put on crushed candy.
tubolard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:30 PM   #40  
is a persistent thistle

S/C/G: 230/see ticker/133

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakilaulea View Post
I LOVE nail polish! This is the first week of this year I'm actually not wearing any and it feels so weird!! I had a polish picked out (autumn colors are my fave), but didn't do my usual Sunday manicure due to Sandy barreling through. I'll have them prettied up for next week though.

Also, another way to thin polish that's thickened up over time is to just add a couple drops of nail polish remover and shake. I learned that tip from a drag queen, and it has saved several of my older bottles! My Sally Hansen top coats tend to thicken up fastest and I got tired of throwing out half used bottles.
I've always read that using remover to thin your polish is a no-no. Since remover's job is to break down the chemical structure of the polish, it will ruin it. You should always use thinner, not remover.
http://lacquerlaine.blogspot.com/200...olish-and.html

As to the original question, I just removed Color Club's Ruby Slippers and am applying Orly's Cashmere Cardigan. I heart Cashmere Cardigan.
Thistleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:23 AM   #41  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/155

Height: 5'10"

I've been using nail polish remover for a while on many different brands with no problem. Just two drops, tops, and it's always worked like a charm. No bubbles and goes on evenly. It was just another suggestion; by all means don't try it if you think it'll mess up your bottle. Polish is a terrible thing to waste!
Lakilaulea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #42  
Warrior Princess

I usually don't paint my nails (I work in healthcare) but I fell in love with Essie Turquoise & Caicos for my feet!! They do have the no chip manicures but I can't justify spending $35+ tip every few weeks and acrylics are so bad.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #43  
Maintaining since 2013

Thank you ChickieBoom.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:05 AM   #44  
Finally in control.

I gave myself a mini-mani last night and used OPI's Siberian Nights and some OPI/Sephora copper glitter as a top coat. I like it!
Old 11-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #45  
Maintaining since 2013

That sounds like a really pretty combo!

I'm trying to figure out a nice festive color for the holidays. I did L'oreal's Caught Red Handed (deep red with a touch of gold sparkles) for the past 2 years, but I need a change!