Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 09-20-2012, 02:32 PM   #16  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

i think it depends how picky you are. its going to look better if you go to a salon, but im fine with how it turns out at home. if you're just trying to cover grays id do it at home. i use john frieda foam dye. its a little pricier than the rest of the at home dyes (usually about $13) but i find it is the easiest to apply by far and lasts longer.
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:51 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 156/114/108

I second John Freida hair dye. Amazing.
LataJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:04 AM   #18  
Aussie girl

S/C/G: 210/146/146

Height: 5'4

I home colour my hair, well my husband actually does it for me

The colour in my picture is what I have had it for about a year or so now. I love it. It covers up the few greys I have.
electrongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:12 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 251.5/162/140

Height: 5'3"

I dye my hair at home. I use Ion Color Brilliance Demi Permanent because it only lasts for about 30 washes & fades out gradually. I know that I do not have the skills or patience to do root touch ups, so every month I just buy a new tube at Sally's beauty & re-dye my whole head. I have been doing it for about 6 months now to cover up my gray. Honestly, before I started I was very worried about how it would turn out & watched a bunch of videos on youtube about how to dye your hair at home. Once I got it home though, I didn't follow any of the application directions. I mix it with the developer in a squeeze bottle & then just squirt it all over my head & massage it in like shampoo. I have a detangling comb that I use to comb it through to even it out. It comes out perfect each time. I have tried 3 different shades now--all pretty close to my natural color & I like them all. The only thing with demi-permanent color is that you can only do your natural shade or darker--you cannot go lighter because you are not lifting any color from your hair, just laying color over the top of it.
amyk0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:12 PM   #20  
the muse of memory

Quote:
I home colour my hair, well my husband actually does it for me

The colour in my picture is what I have had it for about a year or so now. I love it. It covers up the few greys I have.
I love the color of your hair. I'm not sure that it would work on me since I have a fair bit of redness in my complexion, but it looks brilliant on you.

Quote:
I dye my hair at home. I use Ion Color Brilliance Demi Permanent because it only lasts for about 30 washes & fades out gradually. I know that I do not have the skills or patience to do root touch ups, so every month I just buy a new tube at Sally's beauty & re-dye my whole head. I have been doing it for about 6 months now to cover up my gray. Honestly, before I started I was very worried about how it would turn out & watched a bunch of videos on youtube about how to dye your hair at home.
Hah. This is how I feel. I mean, I have trouble getting my hair trimmed regularly. I can only keep my nails painted when I have True Blood or Game of Thrones to watch on Sunday nights. And the anxiety is the same one I have.

I am going to try a demi-permanent color and see what I think, and might peek into Sally's this weekend.

I still kinda want to do the salon thing, since I want someone to say: THIS will look good on you, rather than randomly judging that myself. But maybe later. Dip my toe in first.

I really appreciate all the responses, though.
mnemosyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:31 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I'm prematurely gray and have been dyeing my hair for about five years. I do it at home by myself. My hair is naturally very dark brown (I'm black), but I find that if I go with a very dark brown dye, it ends up unnaturally black. I've been dyeing med brown (nice and easy 117) and it comes out with just a hint of red highlight that really flatters me.

Here is a link to find a color for you

http://www.clairol.com/en-US/product...ermanent-color
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:00 PM   #22  

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyk0202 View Post
I dye my hair at home. I use Ion Color Brilliance Demi Permanent because it only lasts for about 30 washes & fades out gradually. I know that I do not have the skills or patience to do root touch ups, so every month I just buy a new tube at Sally's beauty & re-dye my whole head. I have been doing it for about 6 months now to cover up my gray. Honestly, before I started I was very worried about how it would turn out & watched a bunch of videos on youtube about how to dye your hair at home. Once I got it home though, I didn't follow any of the application directions. I mix it with the developer in a squeeze bottle & then just squirt it all over my head & massage it in like shampoo. I have a detangling comb that I use to comb it through to even it out. It comes out perfect each time. I have tried 3 different shades now--all pretty close to my natural color & I like them all. The only thing with demi-permanent color is that you can only do your natural shade or darker--you cannot go lighter because you are not lifting any color from your hair, just laying color over the top of it.
this is probably the best way to do it. Sally's sells professional products so you are most likely to get a permanent result. Having a demi eliminates a lot of the problems associated with colouring your own hair.

I'd be very wary of trying to go darker with a drug store colour. Depending on the product and the porosity of your hair you could end up much darker than you want to be. Once that happens it is very difficult to correct it. Even at a salon.

btwm I'm a hairstylist and if you were my client I'd suggest some foils either slightly lighter or darker than your natural to blend in the gray. Depending on the length of your hair you could probably get away with doing it 2 x a year.
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:54 AM   #23  
RawFoodie Maintainer :)

Height: 5'5

I was scared at first and then after the first time I was HOOKED

Go to someone who knows what they're doing. It's worth it, I mean it's your hair that you're wearing on your head around your face - it's such a huge part of your personality that I don't like playing around with it myself or with people who aren't absolutely pro.

Check out yelp or whatever reviews to find a really good salon where you live. Or at least double check the place you're looking at to make sure others haven't had bad experiences.

Yay, have fun in fuchsia!!!
InspiredBy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:20 AM   #24  
mountain walker

S/C/G: 364/354/196

Height: 5ft7"

I have always gone the hair dressers to dye my hair as it has been my only vanity for so many years! I don't smoke, drink or buy clothes unless absolutely neccessary so I feel that the time I spend with a book and coffee and a hairdresser I have known for years is justified!
If you are going an entirely new colour I would personally try it out in a salon where you can get a professional opinion then do it at home when you know how things will turn out!
mountain walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 155.2/ 133.1 /110

Height: 5'2

I dye my own hair, but I don't make any drastic changes with it. I just lighten it.

If you're planning on going from black hair to Dolly Parton blonde, then go to a salon, but otherwise it's fine to dye at home.
IsabellaOlivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:58 PM   #26  
Fear does not = fate

S/C/G: 295/140/nogoal :)

Height: 5'2"

I have mine highlighted twice a year. I started getting heavier highlights, so it's more blonde than brown now when I discovered a few grays. That way they blend in!
owlsteazombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #27  

I love doing mine at home, DH or DD does it. You can do it when you want, don't have to go anywhere. It's cheap and I use different shades of browns which always come out looking great.
kelleyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #28  
Warrior Princess

I used to be a hair dresser for many years so I just dye it myself. I color it black so no room for screw up anyway except for an occasional drip on the wall. I use Clairol or Loreal.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote