Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 10-29-2011, 08:06 AM   #1  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Default Flabby Stomach and Waistbands

Seriously, I just can't win here!

I know it's really normal to have a soft, flabby stomach after losing a bunch of weight (oh, and after having a kid) so fine. I'm aware of it but I still haven't figured out how to dress it yet.

My problem is this: either pants are too big, gap at the back and I end up needing to wear a belt OR they do fit but anything that fits enough to be held up without a belt gives me a muffin top because my stomach is so soft and flabby! Oh and the belts do that too, ugh.

I've tried low-rise pants, I've tried ones that fit at my belly button but they all do the same thing. I recently bought a pair of supreme curve Levi's (I have a pretty big butt) and while I love them, I have to wear them with shapewear (not a good thing because it is HOT here!) otherwise I'm rocking a wonderful muffin top .

Does the flabby stomach ever go away? Am I doomed to just wearing dress/skirts+shapewear? I really am a shorts/jeans+t-shirt type of gal...

So the weird thing of it is that once I find pants that fit my butt, they gap at the waist in the back. If I buy ones that have curve in mind then they fit but it's like they cut the waist too small at the front but it is still too big at the back (now I can adjust them to fit right but any movement brings out the muffin top again). I think it's because I carry more weight in the front of my waist vs. the back?

ETA: oh, and I've even tried elastic waist bands/maternity pants. Those show up under clothes too, grrr

Last edited by runningfromfat; 10-29-2011 at 08:12 AM.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:52 AM   #2  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I can't help you, but I can sympathize.

My upper belly is bigger than my lower belly, and my waist is smaller than both of them, so I ALWAYS have a muffin top. I'm praying it gets less pronounced as I continue to lose.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:54 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 201/173.8/130

Height: 5'5

The only suggestion i could think of was to possibly get a pair or two altered professionally? Obviously would limit you a bit more, but could be a good option if you find you are still having that issue particularly at your final goal weight?
lovehopefaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:59 PM   #4  
amber

S/C/G: 320/365/220

Height: 5'5"

Running, you know we both have this problem. And the only solution that I've been sticking with mostly, especially at work (It's walmart- khakis, blue shirt) is wearing 1 or 2 sizes bigger pants. Thre gap at the back is easier to handle than the muffin tp for me. When I get dressy, I wear some majorly way too high up my waist slacks- it's helps a lot to hold things in place. The way too high slicks seriously go 1 or 2 inches over my belly button and they are size 16's which is abotu right for me so they actually fit okayish.

Other than that, I'm pretty sure we're kinda screwed. Which is why I'm busting button 30 day shred. This stomach stuff is getting WAY TOO BAD.

If I come up with anything else I'll share, but I don't think there is much else out there :/
ButterCup85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:01 PM   #5  
amber

S/C/G: 320/365/220

Height: 5'5"

Oh, the belt at work- I HAVE to wear one, gives me a slight muffin, but yu can't tell cause I have to tuck in my shirt so you can't see it too much. I know what you mean we're about the same height and same starting weight, except I'm about 20 pounds heavier. Oh dear God, I hope it gets better before I get to the 170's, you're scaring me. Do you strength train and work on abs? Please say you don't or haven't but recently are. How depressing for us.

BTW, if you go to my photobucket in my sig, I added tummy photos for another forum asking kinda the same question. My gross tummy in all its glory. Ugh!

Last edited by ButterCup85; 10-29-2011 at 04:05 PM.
ButterCup85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:07 PM   #6  
June

I've tried wearing somewhat bigger ones but they still do it and gap at the back and are really baggy in the butt/thighs and really big ones need a belt, which, well=muffin top. arg!

About the only thing that has worked is holding in my stomach non-stop and constantly adjusting the pants. That and wearing empire waisted shirts but I only have one...

lovehopefaith- I could certainly try alterations. I already have a seamstress who I go to but I'm not quite sure what to ask for? Would I take a too big pair in in the back? Because there's still no guarantee that there'd be enough room in the front... I don't know. I do have one pair that is nice enough to try it with (might see if I can turn them into capris in the process too) but not so nice that I'd be sad if they get screwed up.

ButterCup85- you're not going to like my answer! I've been doing heavy lifting since March or April and I've been working out (running, dvd's, water aerobics) for about a year and a half now. So... yeah, lots of ab work. The thing about ab work is, sure, it builds your muscles but it does nothing to get rid of the fat on top of it. Basically, only further fat loss will do that.

Part of the problem is that if you start from a pretty hight weight you might have a lot of visceral fat (the kind around your organs), which makes your stomach hard. Through diet an exercise you can lose that and are left with subcutaneous fat, which is stored right under the skin. Because it isn't anchored to your organs it's loose and jiggly. So the flabby stomach is actually a good sign (although it's quite annoying!).
Old 11-10-2011, 12:34 PM   #7  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

Have you tried higher waisted pants? Like at minimum, belly-button height? It gives you something to tuck the muffin top into. I often tuck my muffin top into my jeans like im tucking in a shirt (the horror!) I havent really found low rise eans or trousers to work to prevent muffin top because I find they just let everything hang out. Even better than a mid-rise belly-button height pair of pants is a high-waisted pair. One that actually buttons at the true waist. They were really popular a couple of years (season?) ago? Yes obviously when one pulls a Jessica Simpson and tucks a top into them, they're mad unflattering (mom jeans effect) BUT worn like regular pants they suck everything in and give some support. I had some luck at H&M with high waisted bell-bottomed jeans. They had other styles of high-waisted pants too but that's what I ended up getting.

Another suggestion would be to try going a size up from your actual size (not multiple sizes just 1 up). Better to have to wear a belt, than be muffiny without one... well to me, anyway. I don't really have much by way of hips or thighs which is usually my problem with too big pants (simulated bunchy, saggy butt syndrome) but I find that a size 12 trouser can be acceptable in place of my usual 10s if I feel a particular pair is given me muffins. Now i mostly stick to 10s even though i can fit comfortably into many 8s because of this muffin issue. Usually if trousers are giving muffin-top, I consider them too tight and keep them as motivation pants. If even a larger size isn't working for me, then I consider them to be the wrong cut for my body.

Another suggestion is finding wider banded jeans and pants. These can be a little challenging to find but I do see them and go for them when I do. I know it's challenging finding clothes that fit properly when you're not in US or EU, believe me, I live in sub-Saharan Africa (ok yes a in a big city but still) where stylish clothes are luxury imports and so VASTLY overpriced apart from the fact that most stores would be horrified at the idea of selling higher than a UK size 10 (US Size 6)... Even with the growing obesity problem. Good luck with finding dem perfect pants though!

Last edited by toastedsmoke; 11-10-2011 at 12:47 PM.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:37 PM   #8  
June

toastedsmoke - unfortunately, I've tried the high waisted ones and I end up with the same problem because even up high my stomach is pretty flabby still! If anything, the low-waisted ones seem slightly better but I have to adjust to this one exact spot (and they never stay put there but it's basically pulled up high on my sides and then pulled down low in the front if that makes sense).

Right now I'm wearing a pair of Levi's size 29 and they're fairly baggy on me now but it's the way they're baggy. I have a gap in the back (and these are supreme curve!!) but the front part seems like it's too tight, ugh. I think I just carry too much weight in the front and not on the sides/back.

I haven't tried finding ones with larger waist bands. I know they sell them locally so I'll have to try those. I can't even imagine how difficult clothing shopping in Africa is! I live in a very major city here and have quite a few options, I just can't afford most of them.

Oh, and I hear you, what is up with stores refusing to sell larger sizes even when a huge chunk of the population is overweight/obese? I just now squarely fit into the normal sizes (I wear a 40-42 and plus-sizes start anywhere from 38-44 depending on the store) and am now probably on the slightly smaller end of average, where are all these other people shopping??
Old 11-10-2011, 01:57 PM   #9  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

Darts in the back of the pants is what you'd ask the tailor for. Even when I was skinny in high school, I would often sew darts into the back waistband, sometimes in jeans! These days, you could also try for slacks/pants made with some stretch added to the other material (think cotton blend denim or khackis), and there are plenty of dress slacks that have a zip/button front, with a bit of elastic in the rear waist area.

I myself am thick waisted, with slimmer legs and butt--so I have that issue, but not the muffin top. Absolutely, speak with the tailor, and do hunt for better constructed pants that accommodate your issue.
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:40 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 189/138.0/130

there's a website that sells jeans for curvy ladies -similar to the custom cup size tops I've seen you reviewing, runningfromfat. I think it's "little in the middle jeans" or something like that. I'm not sure if it will fix your muffin top- I don't think there are jeans that don't cause one these days- but it does allow you to purchase jeans that are sized differently at the hips and at the waist so that you don't get the gap at the back when it fits your bum right.

www.littleinthemiddle.com is the site
fromthebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:18 PM   #11  

Buttercup, I took a look at your pics and read your comments. I am having the same problem, inches disappearing but no pounds, how can that be.

I am told that slow loss of pounds is good, but I really don't understand the inches loss if a persons weight isn't changing.

I also wear higher waisted pants to hold in the belly. Sometimes getting dressed isn't fun!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterCup85 View Post
Running, you know we both have this problem. And the only solution that I've been sticking with mostly, especially at work (It's walmart- khakis, blue shirt) is wearing 1 or 2 sizes bigger pants. Thre gap at the back is easier to handle than the muffin tp for me. When I get dressy, I wear some majorly way too high up my waist slacks- it's helps a lot to hold things in place. The way too high slicks seriously go 1 or 2 inches over my belly button and they are size 16's which is abotu right for me so they actually fit okayish.

Other than that, I'm pretty sure we're kinda screwed. Which is why I'm busting button 30 day shred. This stomach stuff is getting WAY TOO BAD.

If I come up with anything else I'll share, but I don't think there is much else out there :/
chickadeee55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:54 PM   #12  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Flexees Fat Free Dressing!!!

Get some tanks! My midsection has firmed up now but I still wear em. Keeps my crack from saying hello to everyone when I bend over in low rise jeans, too . They're amazing! I just wish they made them in XS... can't believe I actually need an item of clothing in XS haha... but I like the support.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:41 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 325/125/maintaining

Height: 5'6.5

Try a pair of Not Your Daughters Jeans. They sell them at Dillard's. I love Levi's too, but these are my new favorite brand.
Oh, and at Dillard's they'll do alterations to them for free.

Last edited by KatMarie; 11-13-2011 at 07:43 PM.
KatMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:37 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthebox View Post
there's a website that sells jeans for curvy ladies -similar to the custom cup size tops I've seen you reviewing, runningfromfat. I think it's "little in the middle jeans" or something like that. I'm not sure if it will fix your muffin top- I don't think there are jeans that don't cause one these days- but it does allow you to purchase jeans that are sized differently at the hips and at the waist so that you don't get the gap at the back when it fits your bum right.

www.littleinthemiddle.com is the site
I am a complete fan of Little In The Middle...I think I was the first one here to start telling everyone about them a while back. I've purchased 4 pairs from her, and they are FABULOUS. Great for pear shaped figures who always have a big gap in the back of the jeans. She actually makes them so they are a full size smaller in the waist than they are in the hips. She has them in two rises, Confident, which is lower rise, and Empowered, which is midrise. I would recommend Empowered, since you have the skin/soft belly issue. It keeps the soft belly skin tucked in a bit. They are great. The only issue is currently they are only in 34" inseams, so if you are shorter you need to get them hemmed...but it's no biggie. The place here in my town hems them for $8 a pair. It's worth it to have a pair of jeans that fit.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:59 PM   #15  
June

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphil View Post
I am a complete fan of Little In The Middle...I think I was the first one here to start telling everyone about them a while back. I've purchased 4 pairs from her, and they are FABULOUS. Great for pear shaped figures who always have a big gap in the back of the jeans. She actually makes them so they are a full size smaller in the waist than they are in the hips. She has them in two rises, Confident, which is lower rise, and Empowered, which is midrise. I would recommend Empowered, since you have the skin/soft belly issue. It keeps the soft belly skin tucked in a bit. They are great. The only issue is currently they are only in 34" inseams, so if you are shorter you need to get them hemmed...but it's no biggie. The place here in my town hems them for $8 a pair. It's worth it to have a pair of jeans that fit.
Does anybody know how their sizing compares to Levi's? I have a pair of Levi's supreme curve size 29 and they're too big so I'd probably wear a 28... would that translate to a 6.1 or 8.1 with Little in the Middle? It looks like they have a wide band and I can get mid-rise in them (Levi's just has low-rise in the supreme curve ) so that might help a lot....