Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 07-22-2011, 07:08 PM   #1  

S/C/G: Size 22/Size 14/Size 10

Height: 5'8

Default Jeans and Hair!

Hello everyone!

So I have a question about jean fashion when it comes to being apple-shaped. I had bought these one jeans that were size 16, and they are tighter, when I sit down mostly. They are kind made to be worn right under the belly button. It's uncomfortable, but since I don't have much money to go clothes shopping for my new size, I kind of have to deal with it. But I tried on my cousins 14 shorts, and they fit perfectly. I've tried on another 14 at a store, and it fit. Gah! I hate when some sizes are completely different!

So what kind of pants do you buy, especially if most of your weight is in your abdomen?

Also, hair. I have been trying to grow out my hair for a while. I used to have waist-length hair when I was little (as I'm sure most people did, haha) but I've colored/cut it throughout the years. It's growing back longer, and I like long hair. But people often tell me to straighten it. It takes WAY too long for my hair, especially when I do it. But I also heard straight hair makes you look more professional? But I also heard it makes your face look chubbier! I don't agree, but I'm just unsure what to style my hair anymore hahaha. I guess what I am asking is, for a round, chubby face, what hairstyles work best with it?

Here is my hair:
ZebraBri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:13 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 280/225/200

Height: 5'5"

Hi!! I don't know what to tell you about the hair situation, as I don't have curly hair Mine's wavy, so I straighten every day.

As for jeans, all brands and even styles within a brand run different. I worked as a manager at Deb for 5 years. I see that you're in Ohio, so you might have one of those stores near you. I always recommend trying things on before you buy them to check for fit. And almost all denim now has 1-2% spandex in it. So I also recommend buying a size that is a little snug in the fitting room, because once it stretches out you'll be good to go. One of the brands I like from there is Amethyst. They actually feel like denim, whereas a lot of jeans these days are so thin that they don't. And they last longer too! I also like Silver brand jeans, which you can buy at Maurices and Torrid. Hope this helps!!
Bamber33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:34 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamber33 View Post
Hi!! I don't know what to tell you about the hair situation, as I don't have curly hair Mine's wavy, so I straighten every day.

As for jeans, all brands and even styles within a brand run different. I worked as a manager at Deb for 5 years. I see that you're in Ohio, so you might have one of those stores near you. I always recommend trying things on before you buy them to check for fit. And almost all denim now has 1-2% spandex in it. So I also recommend buying a size that is a little snug in the fitting room, because once it stretches out you'll be good to go. One of the brands I like from there is Amethyst. They actually feel like denim, whereas a lot of jeans these days are so thin that they don't. And they last longer too! I also like Silver brand jeans, which you can buy at Maurices and Torrid. Hope this helps!!
Yeah there's a Deb's, I think I'm going there soon And I shop at Maurices sometimes, but they usually are really expensive. But their clothes usually fit me okay!

Thanks for the response!
Old 07-25-2011, 02:46 AM   #4  
Jenn :)

S/C/G: 248/ticker!/148?

Height: 5'11"

My theory on pants (and what seems to work the best for my body) is that the rise of the pant should hit about halfway through your biggest part of your tummy. If the rise of the pants is too high, then it'll accentuate any roundness, and if the rise is too low.. well.. my wobbly belly hangs out. :P I find if the pants cut me around the middle of my problem area, it seems to hold me in a bit better. Finding pants to fit in the waist and hips at the same time.. well, that's another story.
pinksparkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:19 AM   #5  
Better,Faster,Stronger

S/C/G: 275/ticker/175

Height: 5'9

As far as hair goes I have to say that any length is good as long as it is above or below your chin,not in line with it if you are worried about your face looking rounder.Keep layers long if you have them...below chin.If you don't have layers,you may want to consider some if your hair is curly and/or heavy...really thick hair that "poofs" out can make your face appear larger.
That's my 2 cents
Keldug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:16 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 175/169/145

Levi's 545 jeans, boot cut low rise. These are the best jeans ever. I buy them in the light blue and they are so soft. They have a little stretch and you should be able to wear a size 12 or a 14 in them. I bought the size 12, but think that I might could use a size 10.

Last edited by lyv33; 07-27-2011 at 01:17 AM.
lyv33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:44 AM   #7  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

here is my haircut back in february...you cant tell from the photo but my face will always be chubby and round...this is layered, with a bit of curl left from an old perm, and textured, no longer than my neckline, that i style by washing and some gel hold

2222haircut.jpg
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:40 PM   #8  

Thanks ladies! I'll need to check out those types of jeans.

And yeah, my hair tens to just poof out...just because! I always thought it made me look gross haha.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:02 PM   #9  
back to square 1(70)

S/C/G: 176/170/150

Height: 5'5.5''

Have you looked into straightening treatments? I don't know a whole lot about them but I've heard Brazilian straightening is quite good. I think it's fairly chemically intensive so you may want to look into that before getting it. They last for several months. There are tons of these different curl-management type treatments so I'm sure there must be something that would help cut the frizz without having to spend an hour everyday with the flat iron.
ahyessophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:06 PM   #10  
Started Precon 6/29/11

S/C/G: 227/see ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

As far as jeans go, pinksparkles has a good point-- that's what works best for me, too. If I were you, I'd go somewhere and just get one of every different style (except maybe the skinny jeans-- those are super hard to wear) and just try them all on. It's really the best way to find something if you're starting from scratch.

My suggestion (and we all seem to have our own favorites) is Old Navy. They have a wide variety of fits, and they usually have a wide selection of sizes, so you should be able to try every style if you wanted.

It really all depends on your body-- I'm straighter, so I always get low rise boot cut, but if you have more of an hourglass shape, you'll need a different fit. You really just need to go try a bunch on. Don't be afraid to try different sizes, too-- it's just a number, and every brand fits differently.

As for hair-- I've read that something hitting you in the cheek area will make your face wider. I'd ask friends for stylist reccomendations, go in with pictures of what you like, and ask if he/she thinks it will work for you. At least for a first cut or a "new" cut, make sure you go somewhere nicer and reputable. You can get trims at Great Clips later if you have to.
tkdtara84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:44 PM   #11  
NEWB!

S/C/G: 215.8/202.8/174 (Army Weight)

Height: 5'10"

I think my face looks rounder when I do spiral curls. I like it when my hair is straight. or if I have to have it up, I'll twist it to the side, or twist it back and leave two strands out, or I'll french braid my bangs to the other side. However, don't feel obligated to change your hair because people want to peer pressure you.

I buy my jeans at torrid online when they are discounted, I'll stalk my pants till I can get the price I want. I don't pay over 25. I mostly wear black pants, or jeggings or leggings. I only wear shorts to work out or to sleep, on account of I'm so pale I could haunt my own house.
SarRawrNaomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:13 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 222/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

I am the posterchild for the apple shaped body and I can find pants that fit well at American Eagle and Aeropostale (I feel a little old shopping here but they fit so well). I always wear the pants that have a little flare as the skinny leg jeans makes me look like I have two toothpicks sticking out of a cantaloupe. I have found that it is difficult to find pants in the women's section at the dept store. The usually have tiny waistbands and more vacant space in the rear than a motel 6. I try to find pants that are not high waisted (jeans from the 90s) or the low rise (buttcrack jeans). Being that wear long jeans, I order them online.
I guess you just have to do a little trial and error. Ill-fitting jeans will find themselves on the bottom shelf of your closet.

As for the hair, I've got nothing for you. I don't even think my computer loaded your pic.
Sunshine87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:33 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahyessophie View Post
Have you looked into straightening treatments? I don't know a whole lot about them but I've heard Brazilian straightening is quite good. I think it's fairly chemically intensive so you may want to look into that before getting it. They last for several months. There are tons of these different curl-management type treatments so I'm sure there must be something that would help cut the frizz without having to spend an hour everyday with the flat iron.
So a couple years ago, I went to the mall and a guy selling the Brazilian treatment offered to straighten my hair. So he straightened one part of it, then asked if I'd buy the product. I told him I had no money, so he said I was done and told me to stand up from the chair.

That part of my hair stayed straighter for the longest time...like months!

And my hair is naturally like that, all I do is comb it after I wash it. I don't even use the flat iron haha, it takes too long to even try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdtara84 View Post
As far as jeans go, pinksparkles has a good point-- that's what works best for me, too. If I were you, I'd go somewhere and just get one of every different style (except maybe the skinny jeans-- those are super hard to wear) and just try them all on. It's really the best way to find something if you're starting from scratch.

My suggestion (and we all seem to have our own favorites) is Old Navy. They have a wide variety of fits, and they usually have a wide selection of sizes, so you should be able to try every style if you wanted.

It really all depends on your body-- I'm straighter, so I always get low rise boot cut, but if you have more of an hourglass shape, you'll need a different fit. You really just need to go try a bunch on. Don't be afraid to try different sizes, too-- it's just a number, and every brand fits differently.

As for hair-- I've read that something hitting you in the cheek area will make your face wider. I'd ask friends for stylist reccomendations, go in with pictures of what you like, and ask if he/she thinks it will work for you. At least for a first cut or a "new" cut, make sure you go somewhere nicer and reputable. You can get trims at Great Clips later if you have to.
I heard that old Navy stuff fits people tighter, though. But you're right, I need to go in myself and look at it. And I must remember that it is just a number

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarRawrNaomi View Post
I think my face looks rounder when I do spiral curls. I like it when my hair is straight. or if I have to have it up, I'll twist it to the side, or twist it back and leave two strands out, or I'll french braid my bangs to the other side. However, don't feel obligated to change your hair because people want to peer pressure you.

I buy my jeans at torrid online when they are discounted, I'll stalk my pants till I can get the price I want. I don't pay over 25. I mostly wear black pants, or jeggings or leggings. I only wear shorts to work out or to sleep, on account of I'm so pale I could haunt my own house.
Are the pants on torrid online usually cheap? And how do they fit your waist? Haha, and that pale huh? I'm sure your color is fine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine87 View Post
I am the posterchild for the apple shaped body and I can find pants that fit well at American Eagle and Aeropostale (I feel a little old shopping here but they fit so well). I always wear the pants that have a little flare as the skinny leg jeans makes me look like I have two toothpicks sticking out of a cantaloupe. I have found that it is difficult to find pants in the women's section at the dept store. The usually have tiny waistbands and more vacant space in the rear than a motel 6. I try to find pants that are not high waisted (jeans from the 90s) or the low rise (buttcrack jeans). Being that wear long jeans, I order them online.
I guess you just have to do a little trial and error. Ill-fitting jeans will find themselves on the bottom shelf of your closet.

As for the hair, I've got nothing for you. I don't even think my computer loaded your pic.
I would feel way too intimidated to step foot in American Eagle OR Aeropostale. My younger, skinny sisters shop there, and all I see there are skinny people :/ Maybe when I'm confident enough though. Aren't their products usually expensive?

AND OH MY GOSH, I couldn't agree more on the tiny wasitbands and more empty space on the butt when you shop in the woman's section. It's SOOOOO aggravating >:/
Old 07-28-2011, 03:43 AM   #14  
Jenn :)

S/C/G: 248/ticker!/148?

Height: 5'11"

I've actually found that Old Navy runs pretty big. They do have a fair amount of jean styles in various washes/lengths, which is nice.. but I'm normally a size or two smaller in their clothes than in other stores. Just something to keep in mind

Also, I think if you sign up for their e-mail newsletter, you get a coupon for a % off a purchase to use in-store or online.. so you might look into that if you find a few things you like
pinksparkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:03 AM   #15  
NEWB!

S/C/G: 215.8/202.8/174 (Army Weight)

Height: 5'10"

These are the pants I wear the most, I bought slacks from ross I wear to interviews and what not. Al
http://www.torrid.com/torrid/Clearan...ing-534726.jsp

The pants fit just below my belly button, skin tight. Like I said when I shop I wait till the prices are t their lowest.

There is shipping...

Also if you look in my signature, there is a video that updats my current weight loss, and in tht video I'm wearing a pair of these pants but in the darker wash.
SarRawrNaomi is offline   Reply With Quote