Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 01-18-2011, 09:51 AM   #31  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I was also looking at Zappos and they had Dansko clogs up to size 14W! How about those? I have some Dansko clogs and they are comfortable. Although I would also recommend some shoes with laces as flying can cause you to swell and shoes that are comfortable going on a plane, may not be comfortable coming off a plane.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:25 PM   #32  
Phil1:6

S/C/G: 253(old)/220(new)/ticker/170

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
Daughteroftheking, did you say how many days this trip spans? We know the cities but not how long you'll be out & about.
I will be gone 11 days, but only 9 days actually there...

Im getting bummed just cause I feel my weight loss is movin slow as I've just gotten over a bought of inconsistency lol, & it just totally stinks thinking about spending money on clothes that I will hopefully not wear for more than a month! But then again I do want to look cute- Maybe I'll just focus on one nice dark pair of jeans, a pair of shoes, a nice black skirt, and a couple nice shirts/sweaters, and the rest I'll just go lookin like a tourist
DaughteroftheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:26 PM   #33  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
I was also looking at Zappos and they had Dansko clogs up to size 14W! How about those? I have some Dansko clogs and they are comfortable. Although I would also recommend some shoes with laces as flying can cause you to swell and shoes that are comfortable going on a plane, may not be comfortable coming off a plane.
I did see that as well, but those shoes are not anything I personally would want to wear outside of the hospital...
Old 01-18-2011, 05:00 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughteroftheKing View Post
I will be gone 11 days, but only 9 days actually there...

Im getting bummed just cause I feel my weight loss is movin slow as I've just gotten over a bought of inconsistency lol, & it just totally stinks thinking about spending money on clothes that I will hopefully not wear for more than a month! But then again I do want to look cute- Maybe I'll just focus on one nice dark pair of jeans, a pair of shoes, a nice black skirt, and a couple nice shirts/sweaters, and the rest I'll just go lookin like a tourist
I think youv'e got it. It is much better to travel light.
Have a great trip and come back and tell us all about it.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:35 PM   #35  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
I think youv'e got it. It is much better to travel light.
Have a great trip and come back and tell us all about it.
Woohoo thank you all!! Cant wait to post all about it!
Old 01-18-2011, 07:54 PM   #36  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Better to look like a tourist and be able to afford to do the things you want while you're there than to spend a lot on a temporary wardrobe There are so many amazing non-clothing-related things to buy that will tempt you!
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:55 PM   #37  

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
Better to look like a tourist and be able to afford to do the things you want while you're there than to spend a lot on a temporary wardrobe There are so many amazing non-clothing-related things to buy that will tempt you!
Great thought, and so true! Ah I cant wait!!
Old 01-19-2011, 10:24 AM   #38  

S/C/G: 161/143/120

Height: 5'1.5"

That's so exciting! I studied abroad in Barcelona for a semester (and visited Rome while I was there!)

My tips would be to bring at least TWO comfortable pairs of shoes... because the most comfortable shoes will rub your feet the wrong way after hours on your feet.

Also, like an earlier poster said, pickpockets are crazy over there, especially in Rome / Italy and especially to Americans. They call it an art form, its so pervasive. To prevent that, I wore a money belt way up on my waist. It was uncomfortable, but pickpockets would have had to lift up my shirt and unfasten / unzip the bag to get any of my important documents (passport, cards, etc.). The man I traveled with preferred a money bag that went into his jeans, but it was the same principle.

For more accessible valuables (the day's spending money, camera), I wore a fleece jacket with interior pockets in the front. I almost never carried a purse.

Otherwise, I'm with the earlier poster who suggested you get some new clothes there! Roma has fantastic shopping (scarves, scarves, scarves!).

Which, now that I think about it, helped too: a basic neutral shirt and jacket can be worn multiple days if you change the scarf and the way its tied.

I hope you have a fantastic journey!
shadetree20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:46 AM   #39  

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree20 View Post
That's so exciting! I studied abroad in Barcelona for a semester (and visited Rome while I was there!)

My tips would be to bring at least TWO comfortable pairs of shoes... because the most comfortable shoes will rub your feet the wrong way after hours on your feet.

Also, like an earlier poster said, pickpockets are crazy over there, especially in Rome / Italy and especially to Americans. They call it an art form, its so pervasive. To prevent that, I wore a money belt way up on my waist. It was uncomfortable, but pickpockets would have had to lift up my shirt and unfasten / unzip the bag to get any of my important documents (passport, cards, etc.). The man I traveled with preferred a money bag that went into his jeans, but it was the same principle.

For more accessible valuables (the day's spending money, camera), I wore a fleece jacket with interior pockets in the front. I almost never carried a purse.

Otherwise, I'm with the earlier poster who suggested you get some new clothes there! Roma has fantastic shopping (scarves, scarves, scarves!).

Which, now that I think about it, helped too: a basic neutral shirt and jacket can be worn multiple days if you change the scarf and the way its tied.

I hope you have a fantastic journey!
thank you !!
Old 01-21-2011, 10:33 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 168/165/125

Height: 5'3"

I just thought of one more thing that might help with your packing. You might already know the trick, but I didn't think of it until a friend told me. If you fold your clothes, and then roll them up, it should minimize wrinkles, and you can fit more in. (Might be handy when you return with all those scarves!)
yoyoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:14 AM   #41  

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoing View Post
I just thought of one more thing that might help with your packing. You might already know the trick, but I didn't think of it until a friend told me. If you fold your clothes, and then roll them up, it should minimize wrinkles, and you can fit more in. (Might be handy when you return with all those scarves!)
Great tip, didnt know that! Thank you
Old 01-22-2011, 05:56 AM   #42  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Another thing is to put all your clothes together - as if you were wearing them all. Then roll or fold.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:13 PM   #43  
Wreck'n'Rule

S/C/G: 168/138/133

Height: 5'5

Save money and spend it when you come here to Europe We have amazing clothes.

All you'll need over here at any time of year is a jacket and a pashmina shawl that can be doubled as a scarf. We're not that different to the US in temperature and weather.

Good shoes are a must though. As you're going to mainland Europe I'd recommend that you track down a branch of Gabor and get yourself a pair of their loafers. I live in mine constantly. My grandmother brought them back from Germany for me about five years ago and they're the best thing anyone has ever bought me.

Other than that, as you're also going to Italy, I'd take light clothing because Italy BURNS constantly. I find it too hot personally. And pickpockets will only get you if you look and act like a tourist. DON'T take a backpack and try not to use a map in public because that will give you away instantly.

Enjoy your trip!
Wysteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:51 AM   #44  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 197/ticker/136

Height: 1.65m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Vulpix View Post
I've never been to Europe or anything, but if you could afford to, I'd recommend going with just the clothes on your back and do a little shopping while you're there. It'd be fun coming home with a whole new wardrobe!
Ouch the prices! If you are used to what you pay in the US for clothes you don't want to turn over any labels in Europe. And then you might be due taxes on returning them to the US if you are over your spending allowances. But if you do decide to purchase anything in Europe (in the European Economic Area particularly, which is a different list from the EU) then ask for "tax free shopping" which is a scheme where you as a non-EU citizen do not owe certain government taxes which are automatically included in the price of items. Take your passport with you when you go shopping so you can prove you are from outside the EU, it can save you about 20% depending on the prevailing tax rates. I'm not sure that all shops participate, but many in tourist cities do.

I bet all the American-spotters spot me... fat, bumbag/fannypack, football sweatshirt, massive electric wheelchair, rolling down the tourist streets of Edinburgh. I'm not American, honest.
RoseRodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:10 PM   #45  
Winning!

S/C/G: 287.8/276.6/142

Height: 5'3.5"

One other place to check for shoes is 6pm.com it's Zappos overstock. For inexpensive clothing I'd also suggest looking at places like Ross, TJ Maxx, or Marshalls if you have one near you. I find clothes there are sometimes just as inexpensive as thrift stores.

It sounds like you're going to have an exciting adventure, good luck on the shopping part. =]
drinkypants is offline   Reply With Quote