Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 11-19-2010, 11:46 AM   #1  

Default Dry Skin??

Hi Ladies! Now that we're getting in to the colder months, I wanted to ask you all what you do to keep your skin from drying out? I usually run outside once or twice a week, and if I don't do SOMETHING, my hands and face get SO dried out. NOT a look I want in all those Christmas party photos...

I like to use Eucerin Daily Skin Balance (it helps that I do some work with them and we have it floating around the office ). I use it after my post-workout showers and it works like a dream.

What are some of your best winter skin care tips?

Last edited by ADelish; 11-19-2010 at 11:54 AM.
ADelish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

HI! I've recently discovered a miracle product for my hands. It may have been mentioned in a thread around here, not sure where. It is called Lotil cream. I have found it at Amazon.com and also at Vermont Country Store.

I work in a doctor's office and wash my hands alot. My hands get very dry and my thumbs become so dry that they callous up and also split (like a deep paper cut.....ouch). Since I have been using the Lotil, I don't have any more splits and the dryness has greatly improved.

I don't think I woud use it on my face. It is very heavy and kind of waxy until you wash your hands the first time. I only use it twice daily....once during the day and once right before I go to sleep....and it is working so far.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: (HW=174)154/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

I am moving back to the midwest soon, and I always use lip balm and put on more moisturizer for my face before I run. I exfoliate regularly and go through lots of lotion. I like clinique products, although I'm beginning to look around for more sustainable options with good performance. The daily moisturizer and body butter are my faves. I use just regular chapstick.
RunnerChemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 265/245/150 SW/CW/GW

Height: 5" 6"

Kiehls Creme du Corps is the best all over body lotion I have ever found. As I've aged my skin is extremely dry and it leaves my body feeling very luxurious without being greasy. In addition I always use Nuetrogena hand cream after every hand wash. For my face I use all Clinique products.
huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:41 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 265/174/110

Height: 5'1"

I absolutely love lubriderm. I have horribly dry skin all year round, and i have tried tons of brands of lotion. I call myself a lizard at times because of the peeling of dry skin on my face,lol. This is the only brand that helps me
armywifeStacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:30 PM   #6  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Avon has a nice spray on lotion that I like because I can spray it on my itchy back.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:43 PM   #7  

It's interesting how different everyone's regime is! You all have great suggestions, keep them up!
Old 11-22-2010, 04:20 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 257/246/110

Height: 5'3"

I use johnson n johnson baby oil gel just put it on after I shower and it has made my skin softer even at the elbows...i wash my hands alot also and it has helped alot I mean my knuckles would be so dry I'd bleed.
cherry7211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:01 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

Olive oil(for body, face, and hair), coconut oil(also for body, face, and hair), and cocoa butter(only for my body and hands) are the holy trinity to me; my three favorite moisturizers. As for the olive oil, I usually store some in a little bottle and add lavender essential oil for scent, but the coconut oil and cocoa butter smell great on their own..

Anyway, they're all great in that they're natural moisturizers that penetrate your skin. I greatly dislike most commercial moisturizers as the lot of them contain dimethicone or some variant of it, a kind of silicone that leaves a slimy coating on your skin instead of actually adding moisture to it. Dimethicone moisturizers have been likened to a bandaid; on the outside it feels/appears that they have added moisture to your skin, but underneath the skin is actually getting drier and you can really tell when you wash the coney products away. What really convinced me to stop using them was that they clogged my pores and caused acne.

Oh, I forgot about aloe vera! Just plain aloe vera, 100% clear gel from the plant(rather than that blue stuff with lidocaine that people use for sunburn) is a great, lighter moisturizer that I use in warm weather- like today, for it is very humid out.

If I DO use a bottled moisturizer, it is this and this only:
http://www.gothrosary.com/index.php?...products_id=38
All natural, vegetable-based moisturizers with the most luscious scents ever. Unfortunately, they are a tad on the expensive side, but worth it when I feel like treating myself.
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:26 AM   #10  
smexin' it up ♥

S/C/G: 123.4/116.4/80

Height: 180cm

exfoliating is your best friend!
summershine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 04:07 PM   #11  

Height: 1.67m

I agree with Horo. Most commercial products actually aggravate the problems rather than helping them by causing irritations or temporarily masking them. I would look at the whole beauty regime, from shampoo (most have nasty sulphates as well as cones like Horo mentioned) to moisturisers to make-up.
timkerbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:37 AM   #12  

You all have awesome feedback.

Does anyone have any questions of their own about skin care regimen? I'd be more than happy to answer any questions anyone might have on the topic.

Last edited by ADelish; 12-14-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:35 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 151/133/125

Height: 5'4

i love coco butter and coconut for dry skin also.

My go to for the cracked/fissured hands is simply A & D ointment. It's very inexpensive and you can find many other uses for it other than dry hands.
AKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:10 PM   #14  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

I have SUCH dry itchy skin in the winter! But my biggest problem is I'm struggling to find moisturizers that won't make my skin break out. I'm acne prone, even back and chest - and with the brutal winters, I really need to find a great moisturizer that won't make everything worse/flare up. My back especially gets so tight, and dry, and itchy. I hate it!!

Right now I'm using Cetaphil but it's not doing anything beneficial. Skin is horrible, still dry, and definitely feels like a layer of oil after using it.. even on my shins.
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:33 PM   #15  
I heart 3FC

S/C/G: 210/197/135

Height: 5'2" Age: 28

My hands are red and blotchy and itchy and painful currently. It's no fun. The edges of my mouth are irritated, too. My eczema always flares up in the cold, dry months, but always in different places. One year it was my face, one the backs of my legs, one the inside of my elbows. It nearly completely fades during the summer, but it is not pleasant. Slathering my hands in something like Aquaphor and wearing gloves at night helps somewhat, but it would be nice to find something more effective.
just keep swimming is offline   Reply With Quote