Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 11-13-2010, 08:04 AM   #1  
Trying to live below 200

S/C/G: This time: 292/201.4/under 200

Height: 5'6" 1/2

Default Shopping for jeans

I have never been able to buy clothes at any of the popular/trendy stores. I have always been too big. Yesterday, I decided that I was going to go to the Gap and try on some jeans.

I looked at their jeans online first so I would have an idea of what they have available and their sizes. I definitely did not want to go in there if they didn't even carry my current size. The other thing is that I get overwhelmed with shopping. I am uncomfortable anywhere except the plus sized department or plus sized store. I am always thinking the other shoppers are looking at me and saying to themselves that I am too fat for that area and I don't belong there, etc. I am working on this little by little by going into these stores and just trying to be normal.

Anyways, I picked up a couple pairs of jeans that I saw online and went to the dressing room. I tried the jeans on and they fit! I didn't like the style on me though. I am not use to the lower rise or the boot cut. Today I am going where I normally buy jeans and look at their different styles.

It was amazing, for the first time in my life, to be able to go to the Gap and try on jeans.
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:43 AM   #2  
Adopt A Shelter Pet

S/C/G: 171/166/138

Height: 5'7

Congrats on fitting into those jeans and then walking away when you didn't like them. I HATE low rise jeans-they give me plumber's butt. I hope you have a good time when you go shopping for your usual brand.
DingoK8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:38 AM   #3  
Trying to live below 200

DingoK8 & SicLikeSarah Thank you. I also had sticker shock while I was in there. I think the jeans were $60+. I can get Lee's and some other brands at my regular store for $20-$30. That's more affordable for me. I am going to check out the different styles today and keep an open mind. Maybe I will find something different than what I normally buy.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 172/172/152

Height: 5'3"

I find that Old Navy has some great, and affordable, jeans for us curvier gals...
wickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 12:31 PM   #5  
Trying to live below 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedlady View Post
I find that Old Navy has some great, and affordable, jeans for us curvier gals...
Thanks for the tip on Old Navy. I will take a look.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:31 PM   #6  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I'm also feeling some residual fondness for the Gap, because that's also where I went, after losing a lot of weight, to try on my first pair of jeans.

And boy, I needed them. My look was pretty outdated. I'd had to go on an expedition to the deepest reaches of my closet, to find old clothes that I used to fit in before I got fat, and the styles were all wrong: Higher-waisted, baggy in the thighs. Yeah, basically, Mom Jeans. And then even those developed a bad case of diaper-butt.

I had an hour to pass before seeing a play, and the Gap was just around the corner, on Fifth Ave., and I saw that all these European teens were coming out with huge bags full of jeans, since the Gap was having a sale & they'd gone shopping on their NY vacations.

Walking in the store took a resolution on my part. I always feel like some skinny salesgirl is going to call security & have me ousted for being too old & too heavy. "But ... but ... I'm shopping for my niece's birthday." (I don't have a niece.)

What a thrill to find jeans that fit, in the right, short length. And they weren't even the highest-numbered size there.

I'm reminiscing at length because I know how you felt, Diana, but also because just yesterday, I dropped off the Gap jeans that I bought that day at a thrift shop, because they have gotten too big for me. I felt like I was saying goodbye to someone who was there for me at a difficult moment in my life. Seriously.

The newer style made me feel like my stomach was pooching out. But oh, my legs looked so much better in jeans tighter at the thigh than in that old baggy-thigh style.

Last edited by saef; 11-13-2010 at 01:32 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 05:45 PM   #7  
Trying to live below 200

Thanks for the reply, Saef. Sounds like a nice walk down memory lane.

I tried on some jeans today. I still didn't buy anything. I found something I like, but they only had sizes above and below what I need. I will probably go back next week to see if they have gotten some more sizes in.

In the dressing room I tried on the new style jeans and mine several times just to compare the look. I like the look of the new style jeans better. There's still hope for me. Hopefully I will get an updated look soon.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:07 PM   #8  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Diana, that's GREAT! I recently experienced a similar victory/realization when I realized I have lost enough weight to fit into mainstream Japanese pants sizes.

Old Navy and Gap are the same parent company, so their sizing is similar. Gap is a little expensive for me too but Old Navy is much more affordable. They have a wide range of styles so if you're not into "hip-huggers" (and really, who is?) you should be able to find a lot to suit your wants and needs.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:17 PM   #9  
Trying to live below 200

Krampus Hi! Good "seeing" you. If I have time tomorrow, I might check out some more stores.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:08 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 267.8/211/150

Height: 5'2"

Kohl's has a great selection of several different styles of jeans, and they're very affordable, too!

Good luck, and YAY! for being able to shop at Gap (if you wanted to, anyway!).
Bac0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:01 AM   #11  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

ahh, the joy of old navy! they are cheep and they are cut so generously that the number on the tag alone will have you smiling! and if you keep an eye on the website they have $15 sales now an then.

If the juans have spandex they have to be tight when you put them on. otherwise they will be way too baggy in an hour.
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:11 PM   #12  
Staying the Same

Diana, sorry I got lazy on the daily accountability thread. I eat the same thing every day so writing it down got to be tedious, but I still track my calories.

I've noticed the bagginess problem with "jeggings." So frustrating. I like my jeans fitted yet stretchy but it seems impossible to get that without them sagging around the butt and thighs, and I lack a dryer. >_<
Old 11-14-2010, 11:31 PM   #13  
superfab

S/C/G: I don't care about my weight.

Height: 5'7"

Congratulations on the jeans!!!

Krampus, if you are looking for great jeggings that don't stretch out during the day, I suggest Pacific Sunwear 55 Denim Legggings. I probably shouldn't be marketing them since I just quit my job there a few weeks ago, but I literally have every color and can wear them back to back without them sagging in the butt. They are usually 2 pairs for $55, or 39.50/each. Despise the store, love the jeggings.
KoriHallelujah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:34 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 214/148.6/130

Height: 5'7"

yay!!!! that is a big milestone! i went to old navy last week and got three new pairs of jeans- skinny jeans, no less- i am loving them. especially b/c they have so much stretch and are so comfortable. i also don't like low-rise jeans- i am so glad that trend is coming to and end!
socalfelicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:49 PM   #15  
Staying the Same

Aw Kori the jeggings that stretched were the Pacsun 55 Jeggings in black! T_T