Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 09-10-2010, 02:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 195.5/130/120

Height: 5' 6"

Default Fall Fashion?

So usually when fall/winter rolls around I used to look for the warmest stuff that would cover all my rolls.

Now that I'm a size 12 sometimes 10, I want something with a little style... but I'm not sure what that is exactly. Are sweater dresses still in style? How about tights under skirts with tall boots?

Any fashionistas please help! Or share your favorite cold weather outfit! Thanks!
Shytowngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:23 PM   #2  

Height: 5'8"

I would have said no, but it looks like Sweater Dresses are back in!

http://www.fashionstyleme.com/sweate...ses-2010-trend

I like scarves, my favorite winter outfits include longer jeans for HHBoots, lighter, v-necked FITTED sweaters/tops, and a cute scarf.

Like the two on the right:

I googled around, I saw a lot of skirts with sheer hose, not a lot with opaque tights...

I need to wears a skirt this year I need to try this!

Good luck to you!
BlueFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:34 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195.5/130/120

Height: 5' 6"

Thanks! Yes, I need some scarfs! I don't know if I'm brave enough to try the tall boots yet! They still look weird to me.

I'll wear a skirt this year if you do!
Shytowngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:37 PM   #4  

OK, but you have to wear the tall boots! Otherwise your legs will get cold!

Short boots would look odd, dont ya think?

Old 09-10-2010, 03:00 PM   #5  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Ugh...It kind of ticks me off ya know. When I was fat the Huge style was the form fitting sweaters...or everything tucked in...tight, tight tight.

NOW that I actually don't mind form fitted sweaters and the tucked in "preppy" look, these drapey, blousey, baby doll, no tuck, billowy things are in style.

I worked too damn hard to wear so much fabric. I'm making my own fashion statement this year. I'm sure someone will nominate me for "What Not to Wear" but I'll be darned if I'm going to wear 2 or 3 big shirts and a huge drapey sweater and a couple of scarves over this bod. When I was 300 pounds, it would have been great to cover everything up in a several layers, (except I would have roasted from heat...) But now I'd like a little frill...not the Salvation Army look.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:04 PM   #6  
Lindsay

S/C/G: 220/210/150

Height: 5'7

Lori, lol. I know my bf mom was like when I was really small they had no size 0 or 1 that would fit me, and now that Im bigger that's all I see!

IM really into legging and boots this fall. I went and bought a pari of legging from Target and they are SO comfy. im seriously in love, lol.
Mickeypnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:06 PM   #7  

I know what you mean, but I still get COLD! I'm kinda wimpy that way. At least with the layers you can peel down to the skimpy tank

Maybe the hot flashes will catch up with me by the winter
Old 09-10-2010, 04:06 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 266.2/See ticker/133.0

Height: 5'5

Whether or not sweater dresses are in style, I don't care. I LOVE them.

I don't really pay much attention to what's in style anyway. Wear whatever flatters you and you feel fabulous in.

That said, eighties stuff seems to be in.
DaughterOfVenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:13 PM   #9  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Some things I've seen in NY on the street & on shopclerks. We'll see if it travels any further:

Loud & clear: The color caramel & variations on light brown, and camel-hair fabrics. Camel hair sweaters, so far. Doubtless everyone will be raiding vintage stores for authentic camel-hair coats. [Saef is not pleased with this trend as this color washes her out & is hard on her face. Nothing is more likely to give me undereye rings.]

Lots & lots of cardigans, often relatively long, usually with pockets. I think this is the so-called "professor" or "boyfriend" cardigan. (I was also seeing this through the summer, in the most tansparent knits imaginable.)

Ruffles. Often knitted. Or knitted fabric flowers, crude roses sort of.

Still seeing a lot of stuff that looks like it came from the set of "Madmen" or from vintage shops. Usually boxy short jackets with oversized buttons and Peter Pan-type collars. Women are still doing that "Madmen" makeup thing like Flo in the Progressive commercial, too: Retro eyes, red lips.

Crisp shirts, buttoned all the way up the neck. No open throats. Your necklace or whatever gets worn on the outside of the collar, not inside on a bare throat.

Everyone is still wearing long skinny lengths of fabric draped around their necks. They've never stopped, even on the hottest days, the fabric just got thinner. (I don't call these scarves; I reserve that for expensive silk square items from Hermes & etc. that you have to be taught how to fold.) This trend has GOT to peak & fall off soon, though, because the really cheap street vendors are now carrying these scarves, so they are going to start looking overly common. At this point, I will no longer see these scarves in certain Manhattan neighborhoods, just like I stopped seeing the big blankety-looking pashminas maybe two-three years ago.

Clothes that look like the wearer has parts of a dead long-haired sheep attached to them. Particularly at the collar & hem. I think those hairy Abominable Snowman boots are back, too, but haven't yet seen anyone wearing them yet, just in store windows & on mannequins.

Bags that aren't so slouchy & squished-looking anymore. They look ladylike. (To go with the "Madmen" vibe, I suspect.) Like structured boxes.

Will keep my eyes open tomorrow, as I'm going downtown in the afternoon to the Film Forum & to get some makeup.

ETA: I'm wondering if the 80s color cobalt blue is coming back. Have seen a little bit of it. And am craving a cobalt blue shirt. I never think this up totally on my own, it seems to get telegraphed to me: Saef Should Have a [Fill in the Blank] and I find I've been somehow robotically programmed by subtle repeated exposure to want a certain clothing item.

Last edited by saef; 09-10-2010 at 04:17 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 03:51 AM   #10  
ChubbyChicChick

S/C/G: 198/194/132

Height: 5'4''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
Ugh...It kind of ticks me off ya know. When I was fat the Huge style was the form fitting sweaters...or everything tucked in...tight, tight tight.

NOW that I actually don't mind form fitted sweaters and the tucked in "preppy" look, these drapey, blousey, baby doll, no tuck, billowy things are in style.

I worked too damn hard to wear so much fabric. I'm making my own fashion statement this year. I'm sure someone will nominate me for "What Not to Wear" but I'll be darned if I'm going to wear 2 or 3 big shirts and a huge drapey sweater and a couple of scarves over this bod. When I was 300 pounds, it would have been great to cover everything up in a several layers, (except I would have roasted from heat...) But now I'd like a little frill...not the Salvation Army look.
Hahaha! I totally feel you! I dieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee to rock some skinny jeans or some leggings under a long sweater...

But by the time I lose my weight and look hot, who knows what the trend will be!

It's frustrating... there's so much cute stuff out there and it's all passing me by because I don't have the body to wear it properly! (and even when I lose weight, my boobs are so huge it's quite hard to fit anything nicely...).
60lbstogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:15 AM   #11  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Saef, you are so awesome! Thank you so much for the New York report.

I'm in luck if camel colors are in this year. My coveralls and my barn coat are both Carhartt tan...which look pretty much like camel hair...especially after chores.

Oh and I still have an 80'S cobalt blue blouse....that buttons all the way up. It was beautiful, and expensive and I LOVED it so I packed it away "just in case". It was an 80's size 12 so it should be pretty close to a 2010's size 6. Must find it.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 09-11-2010 at 08:18 AM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:28 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

I've been having a tough time finding a decent sweater that doesn't cost a lot. I'm going down in sizes so I don't want to spend more than 30. I was looking online and everything either looks cheaply made, is too expensive, or doesn't have buttons (I like the look of the open front or one button sweaters, but when I wear one I want the option of actually buttoning it up. I'm not wearing it for fashion, I'm wearing it because I'm cold. I've found one promising one at kohls.com but I'm thinking I'll head to the store first and check the discount rack.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:24 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

From what I've seen so far:

Skirts/ shorts with tights.
Thick, chunky heels
"military" wear. Earthy greens, greys, browns, black, double button jackets, boots, etc.
I've seen lots of shirts under dresses... not my style but whatever floats your boat.

Just wear what you like. Just because it's in style, doesn't mean you have to like it... and just because it's not, doesn't mean you can't wear it. There's something to be said about good fitting clothes, whether they're "stylish" or not. Take inspiration from what's in style and make your own style... I think that's more fashionable than wearing what's in season.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:06 PM   #14  

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post

Lots & lots of cardigans, often relatively long, usually with pockets. I think this is the so-called "professor" or "boyfriend" cardigan. (I was also seeing this through the summer, in the most tansparent knits imaginable.)
I bought a couple of these "boyfriend sweaters" last time I was in Seattle. They are very thin, lightweight sweaters but are very long--they cover my butt and I'm 5'11". It just started cooling down in the past couple weeks so I just now am wearing them. They're very versatile and I think I'm going to pick up a couple more. I currently have dark gray and a dark cranberry color. These are the ones I have:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3064181?...resultback=228
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:22 PM   #15  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

^^^^
Yes, and there's the ruffles, too, on her shirt.

Gray and silver were very big last year & probably will continue to be, but so far, it definitely looks like caramel is going to be the "it" color this fall.

Also, before I forget: The jeans have gotten so skinny they are really like leggings. Some have zippers on the sides, otherwise, I'm not sure how women with relatively large feet & thin legs (that is, model types) could ram their feet through the leg hole at the bottom.

I have also seen the "camouflage" print. With olive green. And other earth tones. The latter most commonly appearing in those slightly baggy cargo knee pants with the various buttons & straps & lacing. Probably their last gasp appearance as summer ends -- temps in the 70s here today.

Last edited by saef; 09-11-2010 at 01:26 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote