Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 04-23-2010, 01:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/255/Healthy, Happy, Strong

Height: 5'7"

Default Does anyone else hate wide leg pants?

I'm really annoyed by how much wide legged pants and jeans have taken over many designs for plus size clothing. But I think I am even more annoyed at sales people and the fashion industry trying to get me to buy that I'm going to look skinnier in these ridiculous clown pants. Now don't get me wrong. I'm not a huge fan of extremely tapered legs. I just want a regular pair of pants without a ridiculous "flare".

The concept is that if you are wider at your hips then a flared leg will be slimming. But if you are wide up top and your clothing is wide on bottom what does that create? A giant shapeless rectangle. I have curves. I want to show them and flared pants look REALLY RIDICULOUS. If they made me look better I wouldn't have a problem with them. I've never seen a woman my size (20) wearing them that looks better by doing so.

Maybe there is some magic size out there where someone is carrying a bit of extra weight and a bit of a flared leg does slim. But at much larger sizes NO WAY! Who do they think they are fooling? Not me.

If they want to flood the market with awful pants, fine. I just want to have access to a decent selection of clothes and I feel like I don't. Finding clothes that are well fitted to my body is hard enough as it is.

I also don't want someone insulting my intelligence trying to get me to buy into a fashion trend that isn't flattering to me personally at all.
Renwomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:07 PM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

For me it depends on how "wide" we're actually talking about.

I like boot cut jeans. I don't care for super wide nor super tight.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:10 PM   #3  
Workin' It

flared look bad on me, too.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:23 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

I like boot cut jeans, if they are a petite cut. But wide leg pants have never looked good on me.

Something that bothers me....those blousy knit tops that look like maternity wear, even on slender ladies.

Also the fact that plus size stores have so many GIANT prints.

Rant over.....
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:37 PM   #5  

Height: 5'1"

I have a pair of regular that I don't wear anymore. I'm a size 20. I typically wear pants that have a bit flare to them because though they might not make me look slimmer, I know the regular size pants, because they just go straight, make my butt and hips look a mile wide. I'm very hippy, you see, so such pants just accentuate my butt more than necessary. The flare pants tend to somehow balance out the hips so they look just slightly more proportional.
Fae10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:13 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 290/Ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

have you tried trouser jeans... they were the best looking jeans I had ever put on my body...

I however dont like the wide leg look or anything but I was told that a flare leg that is tight around the knee is flattering...who knows

I recently bought a pair of "skinny" jeans from old navy... they are honestly the best fitting jeans I've put on my body since starting my journey over a year ago... I love that I'm not swimming in my pants
HaleyisLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:15 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

my thighs and calves are proportionally slim compared to my tummy and hips and I look best in very slim pants-- leggings, skinny jeans, etc.

when I emphasize my slim legs and camouflage my tummy a little it's a nice lean look-- I agree with the rectangle comment.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:02 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 327/293/125

Height: 5'5"

Maybe I'm just too clumsy to wear anything like that. I trip and fall on my face if I try to wear anything bigger than a boot cut.
christinesefton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:29 PM   #9  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

I'm all thigh. I can't really fit in to anything but wide leg pants/flares - so I'm glad they're popular. I have a really slim waist, and my tops are all a 6 or an 8, but for pants I'm usually a 10/12. I also can't wear knee socks, or tall boots at all because my calves are so hammy, if I try to get the socks up, or the boots to zip they cut off my circulation. Luckily for me, the wide legs really balance everything and I can bring attention back to my waist instead of my oversized legs!
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:12 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

I have to say I do like wide-legged pants, but that's partly because I'm in my 40s and spent my teenage years in a time when tapered jeans were the fashion, and not only that but STIRRUP LEGGINGS. Fortunately that was before digital photography, so it's easier to conceal the terrible, terrible evidence.

I think it partly depends on your shape. I have very wide hips, a narrow waist, and big boobs and shoulders; if I wear skinny jeans I have a very turnip-like silhouette. Wide-legged pants with a narrow waist and a fitted top balance my top half. I like long flowing skirts with a tank top for that same reason.

Plus my legs even at a low weight are very muscular and sturdy, particularly my calves. I think I would have trouble getting skinny jeans that fit properly.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:29 AM   #11  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I look better in wide leg pants (so I hate skinny legged jeans). Wider legs balance out my figure. I have a very small waist in comparison to my hips, so I don't look like a rectangle unless my tops are too loose. Even in a loose top, I'd rather look like a rectangle than a lollipop.

It's a shame that more silhouettes can't share the spotlight. It seems that only one or two styles of pant leg or skirt shape are ever popular at the same time. So no matter what looks good on you, you only have a 50/50 shot at it being popular. When fashions change, you're either in or out-of luck (unless you're willing to buck the trends).

In jeans I like a moderate flare. In soft, flowy, knit fabrics even an exagerated wide leg looks nice. I had a pair of chestnut brown jersey palazzo pants that I adored. I swore that if I ever found another pair of pants that fit and flattered like they did, I would buy one in every color (and if I were at maintenance weight - two in every color).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:04 AM   #12  
To Maintenance-AND BEYOND

S/C/G: 252/ticker/189

Height: 5'2"

I, also, am balanced out by the wide legged pants. My legs look super skinny compared to my body. In fact, when my body fat displacement analysis came back, my arms and my torso had nearly 50% fat while my legs had not quite 32%. So I certainly do look like a lollipop in anything less than boot cut. One day that will change, though.
Eumie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:32 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

I'm mostly hips and thighs (even at goal!) so I adore flared and wide leg pants.I feel like they balance me out!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:51 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I agree, I'm so glad that flared jeans and most boot cuts are out of style. I much prefer a straight leg, leggings, and can't wait to fit into skinny jeans. I feel most comfortable when I can emphasize my curves attractively.

When I see flared pants that are tapered at the knee I feel like the girl has wings coming out of her ankles. Furthermore in order to get the look right one has to wear sky-high heels - it lengthens the leg and that I can dig.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:09 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 280/255/Healthy, Happy, Strong

I really am glad that so many people like them and feel good in them. That is what style is all about right? Wearing clothing that we feel fabulous in.

I've never felt good or comfortable in boot cut jeans either, but I'm not a fan of super skinny either. I feel like goldilocks!

I do have a large tush and thighs and a small waist and personally I don't find the wider legs balancing. I'm glad that it works for some people!
Renwomin is offline   Reply With Quote