Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 03-04-2010, 09:50 PM   #1  
I will never give up.

S/C/G: 160/131.8/110

Height: 5'3.5" Yep, the half matters!

Default Opinions on tanning, please!

So here's the deal. I am a redhead. Well, more of a light, warm auburn but the red is very pronounced. I am also SO PALE, for obvious reasons. Throughout high school and up until this past August, I used to bleach my hair blonde (I am one of those freaks of nature that has a skin tone that goes with every hair color. Please don't hate me. =P) and would faux tan in order to look like the cheerleader I was. Now that I'm back to normal, I still feel really pale and sickly looking sometimes, even though my hair and skin do look pretty good together in their natural states. Do y'all think it would look weird if I did just a really, really light faux-tan to get kind of a "glow" going on? If I were to do it, what product would you recommend?

I will not tan using UV rays for any reason-- because I can't. I will burn and then be very sad.

Last edited by bama girl; 03-04-2010 at 09:51 PM.
bama girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:33 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

Personally, I'm extremely fair as well but I just accepted that and like my status as "the fairest in the land" so I don't fake tan at all and I happen to like that look, so I'm sure you look great with your red hair and pale skin! But since you said you won't be doing UV ray, tanning bed type things, which can be very unhealthy esp. for people who are naturally fair, then I'd say to do whatever makes you feel good about yourself!
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:00 PM   #3  
♥ Spinning to skinny! ♥

S/C/G: 160/139/120ish

Height: 5'1.5"

I'm pale as heck too, but I use bronzers in the summer. Makeup bronzers are great too. Loreal has a bronzer called Sublime that is an airbrush. There is the Sublime lotion too, but I don't like it on my hands so I use the airbrush if I am going somewhere I want to glow. I don't use it all the time though. Or you can try the Jerkins lotions that is a light, gradual thing.
SpinQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:58 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I'm toying with the idea of a spray tan (professionally done) later this month. I'll let you know how it turns out. Last year I used L'Oreal Sublime Bronze and it worked beautifully but rubbed off after a few days.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:15 PM   #5  
Good things happen.

Height: 5' 4"

I've done professional spray tan before, and liked the outcome. Have it done where a person actually does it instead of just stepping into a booth -- a person can see where it's going on lightly and get a more even finish. Also, if you want to avoid the "where did you go on vacation" darkness, ask them to only do one spray through instead of two or three. It will give you a nice even tan, but not an extreme one.
I haven't liked at-home products because I can't really reach areas of my back, and they end up looking patchy for me. But other people have very different results.
Serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:17 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 225/207/140

Height: 5'5

Redheads and a lot of blondes and really just fair skinned people don't even tan, they turn a reddish shade. It looks really bad. Much worse than being pale (although I think fair skin is beautiful.) Tanning is stupid.
ohmanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:34 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 164.3/see ticker/118

Height: 5'3"

I've done the professional spray tan and would recommend it. I too an pale and in the summer like a bit of colour. I refuse to tan, because cancer runs in my family ( every woman going back 3 generation on both sde gas had cancer) so I won't uv tan. So I do a spray tan a couple times a year. I lom good and feel better without the potential skin cancer!
shantroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:36 PM   #8  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Well, the good thing about a spray tan is its temporary nature. So if you don't like the way you look, you can not do it or adjust in the future.

It's not going to harm anything to try it, and it'll fade pretty quickly, so why not give it a shot?
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:26 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 290/290/147

Height: 5'7"

I am super pale too...and I have very dark hair and blue eyes so it's a bit of a Show White thing. Lovely in the cool months, painfully blinding legs in the summer. It's hot here so I wear shorts or skirts. I just can't take the SUPER white legs. I love Ocean Potion's Endless Glow (or something like that). It's idiot proof. You won't get DARK but it will warm up the blinding white just enough. It's very very subtle and gradual and the least stinky product I've found. I must not be the only fan because it's hard to find. Walmart (yes, I like it enough to brave Walmart!) carries it but grab two if you find it, they sell out fast!
NiteNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:40 PM   #10  
♥ Spinning to skinny! ♥

S/C/G: 160/139/120ish

Height: 5'1.5"

lol nicole - had to laugh b/c I don't brave wally world either unless it's life or death! lol I HATE that place!! lol
SpinQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:08 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

How long does a professional spray tan last? Does it wash off?
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:28 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/120????

Height: 5'2"

I personally love to use Jergens Natural Glow. It works gradually and after three days you see a color change. I use it in the summer because I am very pale. Its fairly cheap at only $8. But if you get it you have to keep using it to maintain the color. Otherwise its fantastic and doesn't smell or leave a funny color.
mrsmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:43 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 145/160/120

Height: 5'6

I have very pale skin too, I tan okay in summer, but by mid autumn I'm getting back to being very pale. I'm fine with this mostly, I guess it suits my very dark hair, but sometimes it's nice to have a bit more color. Makes me feel a bit more summery anyway!

I like the Dove summer glow for face and body (Fair to medium). I apply it every few days. Although they say it develops over a few days to a week, I can notice an immediate difference within about 12 hours.
I always apply it in the evening, or morning if I'm not going anywhere that day. Whilst this product doesn't smell of self tan in the bottle or on first application, I find after a few hours it starts to smell a bit like fake tan. So I like to be able to shower before I go out, but obviously it needs time to absorb
I also tried the Garnier body one which I liked just as much really, the main difference is the consistency-Garnier is considerably more runny and I found it a bit harder to work with .

Make sure you exfoliate very well before and during.
serendipity907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:39 AM   #14  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

I have never tried a professional spray tan, but would like to. I do use tanning/bronzing lotions at home, my fave is also the Loreal Sublime, I love the smell of the Gelee and can cope with the smell of the bronzer. But yes be sure to exfoliate first, and scrub your hands ( I use a nail brush) after.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:50 PM   #15  

Height: 5'6"

I've used 2 kinds of spray tanning, both booth style, both with great results. VersaSpa is awesome, it has a great smell, you can adjust the tint to your liking, and it has great moisturizers in it. I get mine at SunTan City. The other I've used is Mystic Tan, it's a bit cheaper and still gives good results.

Spray tan will last you about a week, longer if you exfoliate really well before and not so much after. You shouldn't shower for ~24 hours after, or you'll wash a good bit of the color away.

I haven't had anyone airbrush color on - mostly because I loathe getting naked (or near naked) in front of people. It's also more costly in my area.

The booths have come a long way, and are for sure worth looking into.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote