Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 01-02-2010, 09:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/207.5/150

Height: 5'6

Default Do different clothing labels make you feel fat?

Some of my clothes are a size 14 and some are 16-18. I even have one pair of pants that are a size 12 that are tight but still fit. I tried a pair of pants on tonight at Bass Pro Shops and the SIZE 18 DIDN'T FIT! They were soooo tight and showed every bit of cellulite on my thighs. I left the dressing room in tears. Don't even get me started on those stupid dressing room mirrors! Thank goodness my husband was over looking and bows and getting some arrows fixed! I was so sad. Then I walked out and saw this woman pushing a cart with her two young children and she was probably a size 2! I was a size 2 in GRADE SCHOOL! So so p*ssed off at the way I look! I am only to blame.-
My3angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 236/236/160

Height: 5' 8"

I definitely struggle with this too. For example, I get so excited to buy a new outfit for the holidays/birthday/party and after leaving the mall I am so frustrated that I couldn't find one thing that looks good that it bums me out on what I was buying the outfit for. I have also noticed that I tend to buy my clothes where the sizing runs a little larger, so when I go to other stores I set myself up for disaster.

Don't be too hard on yourself though. This is not permanent! We can change this and actually look forward to getting clothes (crazy concept, huh????).
zarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

The tag size can bother me a little bit, but not extremely so. Tight, ill-fitting or otherwise unflattering clothes really make me feel worse!
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:32 PM   #4  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Clothing sizing varies like crazy. I don't put too much stock in it. Women's clothing is the worst.

Even something as simple as t-shirts vary in what's a large or xl or whatever.

I have some 12's that are just right, some are snug, one pair I can't even zip. I have a couple of 14 that are just right and 1 pair that is baggy as all get out.

If you do some reading around the forums you'll find some threads complaining about the wacky sizing of women's clothes.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:44 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 203/193/155

Height: 5'2"

I have a waist measurement 12 inches smaller than my hips, and thighs for days. I have boobs - front AND BACK!
It took me years to learn what I should and should not try on. It's taken years to even begin to learn how to dress my figure. Even now I have goofs. Last summer, I learned that I should not, under any circumstances, wear crop pants and flip-flops. Thanks, photo. Thanks a BUNCH!

It's your world. Try stuff on, learn what looks good, cry, drink, throw a fit - and then only shop and buy where you know you're gonna look smoking hot. I am not sure who said this, but I liked it - it's the clothes' job to fit you, not the other way 'round.

I don't wear crop pants and flip-flops, and I don't stand next to tall, skinny women.

I am sorry about the dressing room experience. It sucks. Have a low-cal alcoholic beverage, and stick your tongue out at the next skinny b*tch that walks by. It'll all be OK. You can do this!!!!
thundahthighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:41 PM   #6  
Short dresses here I come

S/C/G: 157/122/130

Height: 5ft6

Oh god yes!
I went to Gambia with my school last year and had to buy some shorts and etc~
I went into new look and the size 16 khaki shorts only just fit me, it was my lowest point, and I nearly burst into tears¬_¬
VeeDeValentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:16 AM   #7  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

It would be nice if clothing size was regulated. That way every line of clothing would be the same size. A size 12 in this brand would be the same size 12 in another brand. No more of "I'm a size 16 in this brand and a size 20 in this brand"
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:33 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 290/283/150

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundahthighs View Post
I don't wear crop pants and flip-flops, and I don't stand next to tall, skinny women.
My roommate is 4'11" and overweight, and I am 5'10" and now thin... I guess I understand why she doesn't want to take pictures standing next to me now. (I LOVE taking pictures with all my friends, for the record, including her; I love her to death )
megwini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:22 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 196.6/see ticker/125

Height: 5'5 1/2

I've always had very tall friends (not sure why though) so I feel posing next to medium height and shorter people is a bit strange. One of my dearest friends is about 6'1" and she is a gazelle type naturally, so no matter what weight I am I will always look like a little chubby next to her so I don't mind posing next to her
About clothing, I've also found a brand of clothes that fits me just right, I guess the company chooses their sizing models quite close to what my body is like, other brands can be a bit too long here and too short there. I've also sometimes more or less jokingly thought about attempting to become a sizing model when I'm finished losing weight as all you have to do is just stay the same size.
Sanna Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:08 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakai View Post
It would be nice if clothing size was regulated. That way every line of clothing would be the same size. A size 12 in this brand would be the same size 12 in another brand. No more of "I'm a size 16 in this brand and a size 20 in this brand"
I think that would require every brand to cut for the same body type, necessarily leaving a bunch of women out. There's a big difference if they define, say, a size 8 as a waist of 27" and hips of 39", vs defining it as a waist of 30" and hips of 37".

But it would be nice, IMO, if pants were sized simply by waist and hips measurements, and tops by shoulder and chest.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:24 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I wish pants were by waist, hip and inseam (like Men's with the hips added in.)

It's very frustrating to have such differences in sizes. For me the frustration is how much time shopping takes. You never know what size to grab! It's annoying to have to take 3 sizes in when trying out a new brand.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:09 PM   #12  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Yes, yes! Why can't women's clothing just go by inch measurement and be done with it? Even though I am in the smaller sizes now it's STILL frustrating to go shopping because of the huge inconsistency between sizes, brands and shapes. It takes just forever to find stuff that fits.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:23 PM   #13  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Athletic clothing tends to be tighter/smaller so I always need to size up. I went shopping for clothes last week with my mom. My husband came with us (big mistake). He wondered why I had only 2 things after 2 hours of shopping. I ended up trying about 50 things on but he didn't see that. Partially because I was trying on stuff I didn't really need but I was also trying on pants. It was amazing how varied pants fit even within the same brand!
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:32 PM   #14  
Meg

I have clothes in my closet that range from a petite XS to a regular large and they all fit me equally well. When I go the gym in the mornings, I generally wear a size L warm up jacket and put a petite XS coat over top of it. Clearly clothing sizes are insane!

But it's a head game and manufacturers know it and use it to their advantage, hence the out-of-control size inflation. If I have to take several sizes of something into the dressing room, I'll deliberately not look at the label to see which size I have on and just evaluate it on fit. Wacky sizes sure makes shopping an ordeal!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote