Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 04-21-2009, 12:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 213/ticker/155

Height: 5'9"

Default can a regular girl get a TV-style makeover??

Well, I guess the title says it all... you know how they do big makeover specials on The Biggest Loser and Oprah and stuff whenever people lose a lot of weight? I've always been a real tomboy, and don't really have the first clue about hair, nails, makeup, clothes... I seriously need someone who knows what they're doing to show me what to wear and what to do with my hair. I'd love for that to be my big "gift" for myself when I reach goal, but I don't even know if people like this exist outside of TV? Has anyone out there done anything like this, or know where to look? Thanks!
jajabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:40 PM   #2  

Do you have a friend whose style you admire? If so, ask her where she gets her hair, nails etc. done and ask her if she'll help you pick out some clothes.

Otherwise, you may find personal shoppers or fashion consultants will help you with your clothes, and will probably have references for hair, nails and makeup. Finding somebody good could be challenging. Heck, depending on what size city you live in, it may be impossible.

I like to watch "What not to Wear". They have people with all body shapes on it and I always learn something.

As far as makeup goes, if you have a Sephora nearby, they will do a free makeup application. You can tell them what you're looking for (natural look, glamorous, etc.) and ask them what they're doing as they apply the makeup. Most department store makeup counters will also offer free makeup applications.

My sister is a hairstylist and naturally does my hair, but when I lived in other places I would go to the mall and look at women's hair. If I saw a good style I would ask her where she got her hair done. I'd ask a few women, and quite often they'd be going to the same place!

I hope this helps somewhat. Let me know what you end up doing; I love a good makeover story!!
Darby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:11 PM   #3  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Wish I knew! All I've been able to find is
http://www.style-makeover-hq.com/
for a DIY makeover.
Lots of larger department stores have shopping assistants -- see what you can find.
Online sources are around to try different hair styles virtually.
Makeup counters for MAC for example can give you good pointers, but take it for what it is worth. The last one who did my "makeover" for free was a former "feature dancer" (according to her!), and guess what I looked like when I was done! A really OLD former "feature dancer" well past her prime who couldn't let go of those glory days...
I washed my face off immediately!
Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:26 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 220/220/175

Height: 5'-8"

Look for a local salon that has hair make up spa treatements. Do that first then go to a store where there are a lot of clothes you like and ask for assistance. You can also do some advance research on like what type of jeans are recommended for your body type. I think if you get a great haircut and some make-up tips the rest will fall into place.
sweetandspicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 213/ticker/155

Height: 5'9"

Thanks ladies! I wish I could ask a friend to do it, but most of my friends are as uninterested in fashion as I am. And the ones who are pretty stylish, I don't want to put so much pressure on them... plus I don't want to have to tell them the truth if I don't like it! :P Where are those girls from high school who always wanted to give me a makeover now that I need them?

Maybe I should watch this "What not to wear" show. I'm worried that everything I've been wearing for the last 10 years will be the "not"! I'll start asking around at salons, see if any of them are up for more of a "makeover" style... I checked out some how-to's online for putting your hair up and other easy daily styling, but it looks like I'll need to get a cut that will cooperate with them first.

Sigh... I guess I don't regret spending all my time learning about computers and stuff while all the other girls were learning about makeup, but still... I wish I'd paid a little bit of attention.
jajabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 03:23 PM   #6  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Hey, makeup isn't too hard -- and you might want to start reading fashion magazines (gasp!) just to see what the trends are. This will help you look current, and maybe keep you from wearing that gold lame Solid Gold shirt that may be lurking in the back of your closet!
Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 03:28 PM   #7  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I gave myself one actually. It has been an evolving process throughout my weightloss and I still continue to tweak. I find the show WHAT NOT TO WEAR a huge, huge, help.

I had ignored myself so long that I really didn't know where to begin. Hitting the better department stores and flipping through magazines can really help. At the department stores, start grabbing items you would have never considered and give them a try.Start taking bits and pieces of what you find and like and applying it to yourself. Also, most better dept. store cosmetic counters will help you decide new makeup and show you how to apply. If you ask around your area (especially if you have a community website) you can also find a good hairdresser--if color is what you are wanting be sure to state that in your post.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:43 PM   #8  
sugar is the devil

There is a lady on You Tube that does very AMAZING makeup creations. She posts a video of herself applying the makeup and she tells you what products she uses. It's pretty much a step-by-step makeup tutorial. It's a great visual to learn by and I love the work she does!

Her official website: http://www.bylaurenluke.com/
Her YouTube site: http://www.youtube.com/user/panacea81

Last edited by SweetScrumptious; 04-26-2009 at 05:44 PM.
SweetScrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:35 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 198/128/138

Height: 5'7

Another vote for watching What Not to Wear. I've learned a ton watching it.
amynbebes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:41 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 267/260/135

Height: 5'5"

Yeah, I watch WNTW too, and have felt very inspired by some of the episodes, and it's nice that they have all different shapes and sizes of people on there. I'd say maybe treat yourself at a spa or something to feel pampered, check out the makeup counters and ask for advice there about things like colors that suit you. Heck, you can even buy some random stuff and just experiment, glam it up around your house. It can do wonders for your mood, just pampering yourself for a day. I'm lucky to have a best friend who went to school for cosmetology so I can just go to her for hair/makeup advice, I was always a tomboy and wearing frumpy clothes and so on. I'm a footwear person myself, when I want to splurge and treat myself to something, I will buy me some fabulous new shoes. Manicures are good too. When I want to feel fabulous, I also need to take a bubble bath and put a nice mud mask on my face so my skin is nice, too. ^_^
amy180 is offline   Reply With Quote