Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 02-23-2009, 02:23 PM   #16  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinfor5Minutes View Post
is the weird sizing system at Chico's, where I wear their size "zero." Makes me wonder what the really skinny women wear, because I am far from skinny.
EXACTLY! I wear lots of 2's and even a couple of 0's and I am by no means "skinny" and by no means the smallest woman around. Where in the world are the real skinny people shopping? I can't imagine where. I've wondered it many times myself.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:41 PM   #17  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
EXACTLY! I wear lots of 2's and even a couple of 0's and I am by no means "skinny" and by no means the smallest woman around. Where in the world are the real skinny people shopping? I can't imagine where. I've wondered it many times myself.
Gosh I've never really thought about that. The super skinny must have the same problems as the super overweight. I was in tears when I was too fat for the "fat stores" like CJ Banks, and The Avenue. (I could get stuff online to fit, but not at the stores). The thin people probably have to special order everything too.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 02-23-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:00 PM   #18  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I work with some really tiny gals and they told me they shop in the children's department sometimes. I can wear anywhere from a size 2 to a 6 and I am much bigger than they are. I don't know how they find adult jeans to fit!
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:28 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/160

Height: 5'4.5 in.

Wow, they shouldn't confuse us like this. hehe I think it would be great to one day walk in a clothing store and be able to buy something you know is your size in any store. I don't mind going back in forth to the dressing rooms but it's annoying when they are locked and you have to keep getting assistance to open them. At least where I shop I have to do that.

Congratz by the way! =D
SilentBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:08 AM   #20  
Snazzy Person. :]

S/C/G: 166/149/130

Height: 5'5"

Sizing is terrible for girls. D: I can't fit into plus size clothing, it hangs off of me like no other. But then like 12's in womens can be snug. And 14 plus size is huge. I mean, really? I wish sizes just went up, instead of changing things around like that.
katie m a r i e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:41 AM   #21  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
Gosh I've never really thought about that. The super skinny must have the same problems as the super overweight. I was in tears when I was too fat for the "fat stores" like CJ Banks, and The Avenue. (I could get stuff online to fit, but not at the stores). The thin people probably have to special order everything too.

I actually do have *some* problems shopping. I can't fit into smalls. So I need stores that carry extra smalls. That elminates a LOT of places. Ann Talor, Limited, H & M - they carry smallish sizes. I shop at junior stores very often, but it's not like the whole store is available to me. Ummm being 45, the last thing I want to look like is a teenager.

I will take this dilemma over the old one any and every day - having only 3 stores to shop in. 3 stores that sell overpriced, poorly made and poor selection of clothes.

I think whatever size you are, there are probably very few people who can go into each and every store and wear EVERYthing that is offered. We all have different shapes and trouble areas.

All my b*&$#@*g and moaning aside, shopping now is an absolute JOY. An absolute JOY!!!
Old 02-25-2009, 01:56 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 183/177/135

Height: 5'3"

Sizes are different everywhere and it's crazy. From JCPenney, I'm a 16 in jeans (17 in juniors), but at other places I can't even fit in a size 16. However, I have a pair of size 13 shorts that fit great.

I was at a department store a few days ago and tried on a few shirts. I could wear a large in one brand, but I couldn't even button an XL in another brand.
Symphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:10 PM   #23  
3 + years maintaining

The sizes are crazy from one brand to the next. I sometimes wonder if they're using the eeeny, meeny, miney, moe method.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:06 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I don't fret about the sizes, I just try everyhing on. I agree with rockinrobin , it is a joy to shop !

Last edited by bargoo; 02-25-2009 at 04:07 PM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:15 PM   #25  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post

Junior department.

Not to say I KNOW personally because I am far from what I consider skinny. I have friends that fit the category however.

Yes, I would say that shopping is a joy! Dressing is a joy! Every day is like playing dress up.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 02-25-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:34 PM   #26  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Ah, yes. The game is: "What size am I today?"

Don't know about you, but I tend to buy the same clothes over & over again. This winter, I've had a passion for collecting long-sleeved v-neck cashmere sweaters with square hems. Very classic, very basic. Because of the recession & the incredible sales run by the dep't stores, I have hit several 75% off sales that have allowed me to indulge in this lovely soft hypoallergenic (for me) but rather pricey fabric.

So the sweater's styling is pretty close. I am not comparing apples to oranges. Right now, I am wearing a large sweater from Bloomingdale's Sutton Studio line. But when I go to Macy's, I wear medium petite in their Charter Club line. And when I got a sweater at the L.L. Bean Outlet Store in Upstate NY, the small fit the best.

I've given up. My modus operandi is to pull a medium off the rack & start from there.

Twice this winter, I've gone into dressing rooms with like 20 items at a time (handed to me in relays by the salespeople) to figure out what now fits me.

Last edited by saef; 02-25-2009 at 04:35 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:36 PM   #27  

The same thing happened to me. I have a comfy pair of size 10s thats I wear and they started getting lose, so I went out to biy more. I wanted to cry when a size 13 wouldn't fit.

Like my sister said, it's all about how you carry your weight. She tells me I look worse when I refuse to buy a pair of pants/shirts/dress that are baggy instead of getting clothes that fit me perfectly, regardless of the number on the tage.
loveLauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:48 PM   #28  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

My solution three-fold. First - I visit a lot of "vintage" and second hand stores for classic pieces.

The second part of my strategy is to check out the outlet malls, and stores. I have found that Petite stores carry some things that fit me well in size 2-6, depending upon the store.

Finally, I re-acquainted myself with my sewing machine. Whether it is sewing from scratch or tailoring store-bought finds, this is my "ace-in-the-hole" when it comes to clothing that fits and looks terrific. I've worked way too hard to not look my best wherever I go.
I've become a shameless clothes-horse
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:55 AM   #29  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
I've become a shameless clothes-horse
It is without a doubt one of the best benefits of becoming a healthy weight. I too can't believe what I clothes horse I've become. I really need to stay out of the stores. My closets and drawers are packed. I've taken up every inch of extra space in this house with all of my clothes.

Oh I wish I knew how to use a sewing machine. I should probably learn. Because yes, finding a good tailor is essential.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:45 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

rockinrobin, you and I are kindred spirits, I have run out of closet space, I have clothes all over. I sometimes put on 3 or 4 outfits before deciding which one to wear. This is supposed to mean you have too many clothes. Do I care ? NO! I remember when I wore a lot of sweats ( The fat ladies friend) and of course the elastic waist pants that never look good. I do not want to go back to wearing clothes whose size starts with an X.

Last edited by bargoo; 02-26-2009 at 11:45 AM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote