Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 03-12-2008, 12:54 PM   #1  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

Default Help with Hairstyles

Hi everyone
Well a lot has happened to me this past month, this is why I haven't been on 3fc very much.

What I need help with is that I cut my hair. I cut about 21 inches off. (about half my length) now my hair is just below my shoulder, the shortest i've EVER had my hair.
Problem is, it's long enough for a pony tail, too short for a braid. I'm tired of keeping it in a pony, I want to leave it down. Trouble is, I have no knowlege of any shorter hairstyles. i've never used a curling iron (even though I have one, as well as a flat iron, and a blow dryer.). I've only used hairspray a little when I was a teen, never used mousse or gel.
very clueless about how to even use these products.
Any ideas? Tips? web sites to check out?
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 02:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Is your hair straight? curly? baby fine? coarse? What kind of shampoo and conditioner do you use? Hair advice will vary depending on hair texture and product use.

BTW, when did you cut your hair? I know this sounds silly, but did your hair go into shock? Is it over said shock? Whenever I cut more then and inch off of my hair it goes limp and straight for about three days and then it goes back to it's normal bouncy curly self.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:15 PM   #3  

I can't braid my hair unless i have a perm in it, it's to fine & straight as a pin. If you have never had short hair let me warn ya, It's more work to keep it stylish, This is from my own hair over the yr's. Now my daughter who does hair for a living has short hair and it's cute. But,she has to style it every day. It's more work than what i want to mess with. You could go to a salon and go thur some of the hair style book's < i'm sure someone would work with you. Also maybe just getting it shaped different might help?
chuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:29 PM   #4  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

My hair is pretty thick and coarse.
It did go into shock when it was cut... it frizzed out nearly double. But that was a week ago and it calmed down after a shower.
I only use shampoo on my hair ever other washing (I was my hair ever two days) I use condish every time I wash.
I don't really mind the work it will take to keep it nice looking. I use to spend maybe 45 minutes to a hour everyday taking care of my long hair anyways, (oil treatments, hunting down split ends..ect..)so it's not a big shock.
It's in layers the shortest layer is about a inch past my chin and it won't keep back in the pony tail. I think some think this is a cute look but I'm not use to having hair hang by my face lol

Last edited by Sakai; 03-12-2008 at 03:30 PM.
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:33 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Height: 5'10

Hi Sakai! Do u have any pics of your hair? Some here might have an idea or suggestions for styles. I know you said it's too short to braid but what about french braiding??? Since that takes the hairs from each side it might be long enough.

Also wondering, when you got your haircut did you just get the length taken off or did you also get a new style (bangs, layers, etc.)? If your stylist completely redid your hair I'd call the stylist back and ask for some tips.
vealcalf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:40 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 205/185/135

Height: 5ft5

I would ring up my stylist as well! It sure is hard to go from long to shorter. I did that once myself and I couldn't grow my hair out quick enough! I hope you find a style that works for you. Just be patient
gerly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:21 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

It sounds like you have a hairstyle that requires blow dry and either flat iron or curling iron. I would advise going back to the stylist that cut it and ask for a tutorial on how to do it.

Also, haristyle magazines sometimes have pictures in the back on how to style.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:29 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Licensed styist here!

My hair is about down to the back of my bra, but it has layers in it as well, with the shortest starting about chin length. Our hair cuts are probably pretty similar.

Some things you can play around with:

~Headbands: There are some really pretty ones out now, and you can keep your hair down, without it being in your face.

~Hair clips: These are a staple for me. The "claw" style hairclips that go in the back. With your cut, all you have to do is gather the hair in the back like you were going to do a ponytail, twist it real good in one direction, and pull the twisted end up along the back of the head. Put in the clip, securing the twisted section to your head. Looks a lot like a french twist. Your chin length layers will probably come out, and hang at chin level, which is actually very chic.

~Train your hair to not hang in your face with a blow dryer. When your hair is dry, part it on one side, and then on the other. See which way it "wants" to go, and that is what you should go with. When you wash your hair, part it on that side, and blow dry, using a brush to sort of "train" your hair to go over to the side a bit, rather than hanging straight down in your eyes.

aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:49 AM   #9  
Trying it again....

S/C/G: 237/237/145

Height: 5'4"

Me and you have the same exact hair and hair style and maintaining techniques, everything. I just cut my hair into layers maybe about 3 to 4 weeks ago and only now am I starting to style it. It takes me about 30 minutes to do my whole head with the flat iron. I use the flat iron right at the scalp (when hair is dry) and slowly pull all the way down to the end and making it completely straight. I naturally have straight hair but this gives it more of a flat look without the "frizz". I do my whole head like that and I love the way it looks on me. Do not "flip" the iron in any direction. When you turn it upwards toward the sky or downwards toward your neck, it'll give it a curl. Good luck.
tkglenn is offline   Reply With Quote