Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 04-08-2007, 09:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/250/225

Height: 5'10"

Question Tall plus size

Anyone have any ideas on what to shop for or where for a tall plus size person. I am trying to lose weight but till I get there it would be nice to have something actually fit. I have a stupid problem. I am 5 feet 10 inches tall with really long legs. Average length is too short and the crotch in pants is around mid thigh. Basically too low. Tall length is too long in the legs which I could hem but the crotch is still at my mid thigh. The butt hangs too low as well. Its like my waist is a 26 but my hips are a smaller size because everything hangs. Skirts work but aren't good for work. I'm probably going to just have problems until my waist gets smaller but who knows how long that is going to take.
kgood2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:02 PM   #2  

Hi. I live in NY -- we have Fashion Bug stores where lately they've had some awesome dress pants -- I'm 5' 9" and have been anywhere from a size 22 to currently an 18 (and I'm mostly leg too!!)
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 09:40 AM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I have the same problem, I'm 5'10" and no matter what store I go into the pants are always to short.

The only luck I have is Roamans.com they have tall sizes and so far so good.

Hope this helps.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 01:02 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 289.5/286.5/180

Roamans and Lane Bryant carry tall sizes. Here in New York, they also carry tall sizes at K-mart and Walmart! You just have to look!!!
Stacey in Syracuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 01:14 PM   #5  
Crazybusymom!

S/C/G: 370/370/180

Height: 5'9"

I think JC Penny is the store that carries St. John's Bay. anyway the SJB pants in plus size have the longest legs ever. I am 5'9"(lost two entire inches to my obesity) and always have trouble getting legs long enough. The SJB were easily 4 inches longer than I needed. I cannot remember ifthe size was 30 or 32, but there was plenty of room and they were the first jeans i have owned in a long time that did not have elastic. They buttoned and zipped like regular jeans. i would also check into your area taylors and see how much it would be to alter your pants. If it is cheap enough it would certainly be worth it. After you see who does the best job for the best price, ask if there is a discount for a greater number of items. Maybe they will give you the seventh alteration free or take 5% off for 10 or more items. Make sure you ask around your neighborhood to see if anyone knows a good tailor, or better info would be to know which one to avoid. Make sure you have them tailor something that you would not mind losing the first time. that way if there is a flubb then you are not out your favorite item. Let us know how it goes for you.
Feifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 07:48 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 250/250/225

I have a sewing machine and can sew. I'm thinking of altering the pants I have now after I lose enough where they really are too big which should be soon. I'm almost at pinning them up to keep them from falling down. And trying to bring in the hips which is my problem. Way too much material in the hip and thigh area. My legs aren't really skinny but I think they're smaller than what the designers of these clothes think they should be.
kgood2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 08:41 AM   #7  
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

K, I hear ya'! I am also 5'10" and mostly leg. I don't have huge hips, I'm an apple, it's all in the waist. I have had pretty good luck at Avenue. I have jeans, khakis and dress pants from them, as well as the pull on knit pants. I had the khakis taken in all the way down, because the legs were too wide. That was the style, but they were too wide for my taste, so i had them made straight leg...much better. The dress pants are fine. I haven't had a problem with the crotch being too long/low.
LBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:02 PM   #8  

S/C/G: CW - 194 GW -168

Height: 6'1"

I have to wear talls....and actually, some of them are long on me if I am barefoot. If they are jeans, I just roll it up the same width as the hem and it looks fine with shoes.

Look for mid rise or low rise pants...they may fit your crotch better. I only wear those and have no problems finding great pants.
coachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:25 PM   #9  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

NY & Co makes pants in lengths, and they go up to a regular (not plus) size 18. Torrid also makes pants in lengths. I get all my jeans and pants from those two places. There's nothing like shopping for pants and you're tall!!!

Last edited by grneyedmustang; 05-20-2008 at 12:26 PM.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:59 PM   #10  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

I get all my jeans at Wal*Mart. They carry tall/plus sizes, and I have no complaints about the jeans.

But, I am pear shaped and you seem to be apple shaped so I don't know if they will work as well for you.

I've never bought any slacks there, though. I only have two pairs of dressy slacks, and I bought those eons ago at Nordstroms.
Apple Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:39 PM   #11  
Just For Today

S/C/G: 287/170/155

I have found that Walmart's "long" sized are just not long enough. I have had luck on oldnavy.com and gap.com, both have tall plus sizes and tall regular sizes. So glad it's getting warmer, who cares how long your capri's are!!
loserjulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:24 AM   #12  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by loserjulie View Post
I have found that Walmart's "long" sized are just not long enough.
I found that to be true with the high-waisted "mom-pants" but the mid-risers puddle around my feet.

Or maybe I'm just an Amazon with short legs!
Apple Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:13 PM   #13  
ars
looking for onederland

S/C/G: 300/ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

You ladies might want to try shopping juniors plus sizes. Now I know shopping juniors sounds nuts, I thought so too! If you can get past the pictures of Miley Cyrus and other teen idols, you've struck gold.

Juniors sizes in pants run in odd numbers up to size 25 (25=around 22/24, 23= around 18/20 and so on). You can compare your waist/hip measurements to the size chart for your fit. The nice thing about juniors pants, is that they come in all kinds of inseam sizes for tall girls (up to 37"). I found for me that I get a much better pant leg length than if I get women's plus tall sizes found in most stores (Lane Bryant's tall are a 36" inseam, I'm more of a 35" or I'm tripping over my own feet).

Alloy.com is the place where I've ordered from the most, but there are many others around.
ars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:23 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 252/238/180

Height: tall enough to know what's on top of your refrigerator

I second Nordstrom. They will tailor your clothes for you, and NOTHING looks better than custom-tailoring. (except, perhaps, haute couture. But who can afford that.) I have one great pair of nice slacks that I need to take in to have them altered again. Happy to say that it's "in" and not "out".

Long Elegant Legs runs super long in the leg, and I think they do have some plus sizes. I'm about a size 20 right now and I've only got 33" inseams. My height is in my torso. So everything "tall pants" I get I usually have to hem, but it takes like 5 minutes on my sewing machine, so no biggie. I ordered leggings from them (XL fits me) and when I put them on, the hem went all the way to my toes!!! It was pretty funny.....

Sizes are all over the place, though, and I agree about checking the sizing charts. Above mentioned slacks are an 18 and they are huge. Can't wear my 18 shorts from Lane Bryant yet. What is up with that? Grr.

Last edited by denvertechchick; 06-18-2008 at 04:26 PM.
denvertechchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:42 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars View Post
You ladies might want to try shopping juniors plus sizes. Now I know shopping juniors sounds nuts, I thought so too! If you can get past the pictures of Miley Cyrus and other teen idols, you've struck gold.
Exactly what I was going to recommend. Juniors stuff often comes in either low rise or VERY low rise, which will probably come to right below your waist. I'm short (and not plus size right now), but I've got relatively long legs and a very short waist, and pants that are cut "teenager low" end up just right on me.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote