Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 02-20-2008, 07:18 PM   #1  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Default Why are the + sizes cute now?

I was looking for something new the other day. I was attracted to several really cute tops. I was disappointed when I found out that they are all plus sizes. They didn't have it in smaller sizes.

I swear that not one thing was cute when I was a plus size.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:34 PM   #2  

Height: 5'5"

finally! haha...usually the plus size clothes that are super cute either make you look pregnant...or are for when you are pregnant. It's depressing.
mxgirl737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:04 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

I've noticed that, it's kind of odd... I don't really know if I could consider myself to be in plus sizes (just the higher end of "normal sizes" and the smallest sizes in "plus sizes") but I've noticed some cute things in plus sizes recently. Maybe the people who control the fashion world are finally taking notice in the demand for more attractive plus sized clothing? If so, then that's great. Now non-stick people can more easily look cute too. ^^
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

I noticed this too -- there have been many times where I saw something plus sized that I LOVED, and they didn't carry it in regualr sizes. I don't ever remember seeing the variety of cute plus size clothes when I was actually shopping for plus size and that was jst 3 years ago.
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:20 PM   #5  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Oh my goodness! I thought I was going crazy, but it seems like almost everything I see lately that I think is cute is plus sized!

I think mostly it seems like whatever size I am, I can never find.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:21 PM   #6  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

LOL - I want a new suit for a presentation I am making in a few weeks. I went into Fashion Bug because I have liked their suits in the past (and I'm still losing, so I don't want to spend a fortune). The only things I liked were on the plus size side of the store

Other observations -
I think it is uncanny how:
~ They have every size (except mine) on the rack when I DO find something I like
~ This applies to shoes too
~ The better the sale, the less likely they will have it in my size
~ Now that I like wearing jeans again, I can't find ANY that aren't low or mid-rise?
~ I wear 4 different sizes in the same style of pants - and two different sizes in the same brand
~ I can't seem pick out anything that isn't black or dark colors
~ I STILL can't find button-down shirts that I don't have to pin shut if they fit everywhere else
~ For YEARS, buying a size 18 didn't bother me one bit, but now I am bummed if the size that actually fits is a 14 (since many 10s and 12s fit so well)
~ my body leads me to the plus size sale rack in every store I enter - I can't seem to even FIND the sale rack in the Misses section.
~ I can't bring myself to buy skirts or pants with elastic waistbands anymore - even shorts!
~ They don't make bras that fit - even when you lose weight

Oh, well - it just goes to prove that the grass is always greener. I'm glad I can sew
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:23 PM   #7  
is baaaad to the bone!

S/C/G: 145!

Height: 5'8"

haha! life's little problems
SunshineRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:25 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Yeah...all of those plus sized things ARE cute. ON THE HANGER.

In the grand scheme of making the plus sized clothes "cute", they have ignored the essential element of making them flattering on larger ladies. I don't know many plus sized gals who want to wear spaghetti strap camisoles (our "gals" are usually too big to go braless...), short cap-sleeved tight baby tees (so the fattest part of our arm is accentuated and any lovehandles are in th spotlight), and too-low rise jeans (so we all have muffin tops).
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:38 AM   #9  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

You've got a point Aphil. It looks like many clothes are designed for a size 2 and then just cut bigger.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:11 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

Yeah, I noticed that when I was in the market for plus size clothes -- lots of sleeveless and low cut pants that I wouldn't wear because I was too self-conscious to wear them. I still see that kind of stuff (stuff I STILL don't wear). I always wished they had more 3/4 sleeve shirts for spring/summer. They have a lot of choices now. I could see myself buying A LOT more when I was bigger. I like the flowy, colorful (not loud) tops they have out now -- ones WITH sleeves!! I never wear anything that isn't fitted now, but then, I always wore non-clingy clothes, I was trying to "hide" my size, but I'm sure I just looked even bigger. Now I'll buy something in a smaller size if it's too flowy, even if it's supposed to be that way. I don't get those tops that look like they are maternity -- I always feel like a tent when I put one on.
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:29 AM   #11  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

ohhhh I completely feel for you....when I was a size 24 all the clothes SUCKED!! and that is putting it mildly! Then as a 8-10 seemed I was at the wrong age for the CUTE clothes....well now being I bounced up to a 16...I was able to find some cute outfits, nice work clothes, ect. Then I started losing weight again, and I must just be at "that age" that nothing is really "CUTE"....there are some nice clothes, dont get me wrong..but i teeter between 10-12 and some tops are just cute wrong if you have real breasts..lol and some are not right if you have heavy arms, ect...so I think until we are all a PERFECT size 4/6 we are all in deep dooooodoooo...lol

But we will all prevail I know it!
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 11:48 AM   #12  

Height: 5'4"

Aphil is SO right !!! My top is plus sized and though the tops look GREAT on the hanger they just fit so poorly. The neckline gapes - the sleeves are too short or cut you across the arm where the chunkiness is - the waists drag across your stomach and the material is just all wrong. They are all either too short or too long as well. Fashion Bug is the worst !! I just buy long sleeve tees at WalMart in the plus section - White Stag I think - they come in tons of colors and are just basic scoop neck and under $ 10. I refuse to spend money while I'm in transition.
witchyonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 02:22 PM   #13  

Height: 5'5"

My guess is the plus sizes are cuter now cause they finally caught on that so many people are that size now and need them and will buy them.
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 04:25 PM   #14  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

My best guess is . . . Murphy's Law.
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 05:52 PM   #15  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I am a million percent with Aphil on this one. I'm definitely still plus sized, and anything I see that's cute looks HORRIBLE when I actually put it on. This little ribbon-type belted shirt craze right now is KILLING me. That little ribbon belt gets sucked right into what I like to call my roll hole (stuck between 2 rolls). Either that, or it sits too high and makes me look pregnant. I'll pass, thanks

So yeah--cute on the hanger, but not on the actual plus-sized body
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote