Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 11-11-2007, 09:22 AM   #1  
Steps on this journey...

Height: 5'3

Default how often do you go shopping?

I have lost almost 20 lbs now and it's been really exciting for me to finally be successful and I've loved the suggestions and insight of people here.

How often do people get new clothes? I have clothes that had been tight and are now loose. Luckily I also saved clothes during my weight gain journey so I have some clothes for the way down. I don't like clothes shopping and don't want to go broke but how often is reasonable to get new clothes -- every 3 sizes? Every 4?
TheBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 09:49 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 156/154/135

I buy new clothes every size. I haven't thrown down the cash for a full wardrobe in each size but I have replaced pants consistently. Shirts, jackets and sweaters can usually go every other size but baggy pants look really awful!

Thank God for sale racks!!!
Lafayette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 09:59 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Pretty much every other size. Baggy clothes getting pretty annoying. I actually bought a bunch of clothes in a size smaller than I am when I hit a big sale so that I didn't waste it by buying in my size. now those clothes are starting to fit so it is great.

My vote is to shop sales, by stuff that is snug, tight or maybe downright doesn't fit.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 10:33 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I used a trick with control top panty hose. If a skirt or pants fits with control top's sooner or later they'll fit without and then they'll be too big.

I'm also going to recommend second hand shopping and making friends with a good seamstress.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:15 PM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Every 3 or 4 sizes?? Oh no, no, no. For me, it was really, really important to wear well fitting clothes while on my journey. I wanted to look and therefore feel as good as possible. Which to me meant buying clothes much more frequently. I hated wearing baggy clothing. They mask any weight loss that you may have had. I probably spent more then I should have, I was dropping dress sizes quite quickly, but I looked at it as money very well spent. An investment in my future.

I only bought things on sale and very neutural pieces. I bought my tops quite snug. Some things I also brought to the tailor to have taken in. In fact there's a skirt I love sooo much, I've had it altered 4 times. It started out as a 14W and now I'm wearing all size 2 skirts. The tailor has done a great job on it.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 02:53 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 156/154/135

Wow, your tailor has done a great job! Mine has to tell me when it's time to stop
Lafayette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 03:28 PM   #7  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Unfortunately, I kept nothing in smaller sizes. I haven't been any smaller for about 8 years and I figured that I would never see those sizes again. So, I am swapping out the wardrobe every other size. My original suits look comical on me. I hit second hand shops a lot. I buy everything I like in every size between current and goal. The only new piece of clothing I have bought is jeans at Wal-mart. That being said, I am a fairly accomplished seamstress, so I have altered many of my skirts. I plan to buy as few pieces new as possible so that I can splurge on an entire wardrobe when I reach my goal.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 03:56 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

I buy like one pair of jeans everytime i hit a new size and usually one pair of dress slacks when i drop a size. I've been lucky and had friends and co-workers, who are going up in size, give me their smaller clothes, so i've not had to invest much money in clothes. I don't plan to get a new complete wardrobe until i hit goal. But i too have found it important to look my best since losing weight. Obviously it feels good to have people at work tell me how great and skinny i am looking, but it also makes me feel good and know that i really am shrinking. I like to see my reflection in the mirror when i am wearing clothes that are not baggy but fit. If i didn't have friends giving me clothes, i would defiantely be hitting the 2nd hand stores looking for some bargains. Or some kind of outlet store like TJ Maxx is a great store. I am actually going there looking for my christmas party dress.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:48 PM   #9  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

One suggestion though...before you buy anything, try it on first in the store! My size 14 pants are pretty loose on me, however when I went to try on a size 12, it was still too tight, so that was an indication to me that I still had a little bit more to go before I can come back and buy that size.
NemesisClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 05:12 PM   #10  

Height: 5'4"

It's hard - as I lose I am so happy with how I look in clothes so I want them to fit well - but I am a single Mom and can't afford to buy every time I go down a size. I too have been lucky with being given some things and I give my clothes that become too big to someone else. Second hand shops can be a good place to look. I have three pairs of jeans right now and they are getting too big - I have one pair in the next size down someone gave me but they are way too long so I am pinning them this weekend and dropping at the tailor on Monday. I may just get by with the one pair that fits well and the less baggy of the other three until I go down two sizes from where I am now.
witchyonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:25 AM   #11  

Way too much these days. Seems like every few pounds one way or another needs a new size.
scorpiochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 01:16 PM   #12  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Height: 5'3"

Whenever my pants get saggy LOL. As long as my pants fit well, I can get away with a tighter shirt. For some reason I kept all of my shirts from when I was smaller, but not my pants

I am a Goodwill/Sale girl.Just pick up pieces that I absolutely need. I will get a new wardrobe when I get to goal!
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 02:53 PM   #13  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I started in a size 20 and the first new clothes I bought were a size 14. After that, I bought 2 new pairs of jeans each size down as needed. I began as a size 2X shirts and it took me longer to need new shirts than it did pants or skirts. Once I hit a regular large in shirts, I mostly wore DH's until I found new ones that I wanted.

Like rockinrobin has mentioned, for me it was important for my clothes to fit. It made me feel better along my journey. I never felt deprived of clothes. Even now, I buy new ones if I want them.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:03 PM   #14  

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

wow I never thought about this,well I have, but not having to go and buy a boat load of clothes every time I go down a size or 2. Good lord I'll have to take out a loan!!!!!!!!
shelbysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 05:57 PM   #15  

Height: 5 feet 11 inches

lucky for me i already have clothes in to many sizes..but i'm waiting for them all to get to big before i can go splurge at the mall...i'm actually looking foward to shopping i usually hate it!!!!
sugarcoatit07 is offline   Reply With Quote