Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 10-16-2007, 02:27 PM   #1  

Height: 5'4"

Default I'm so sick of this! (Plus ANDpetite rant)

I hate shopping for clothes. I'm petite AND plus sized. Why do most retailers think if you're short, then you must be size 14 or less? Or if you're larger than a size 14, that you obviously require awful looking tapered pants? I went shopping Sunday for a couple pairs of pants and ended up buying the regular length of pants in the size I needed, then hemmed the pants. Now, I've been wearing the pants for the last couple of days and they're hanging off me. I tried them on in the store, and the smaller size seemed too tight. These seemed just right. I didn't think they would look so awful in such a short amount of time. And now, here I am, stuck at work in pants that add about 20 pounds to me. It's just frustrating. Rant over.

Last edited by Amy8888; 10-16-2007 at 02:28 PM.
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 03:07 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 233/198/133

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy8888 View Post
... I've been wearing the pants for the last couple of days and they're hanging off me. I tried them on in the store, and the smaller size seemed too tight. These seemed just right...
I find that many pants that contain spandex- even 3% or so - do that. I've tried washing them in cold water, hanging them to dry, it doesn't seem to matter. Yet, some spandex containing pants never stretch out. I don't get it.
settie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 04:16 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Height: 5'10

Oh Amy I feel your pain! I'm on the opposite side here being tall. I try on a pair of pants to fit my waist (which is the largest part of my body) well they'll fit me in the waist, but then the legs will be HUGE. The obviously think that since my waist is big my legs must be big too. I absolutely cannot wear "skinny" leg jeans either. I look like a diamond (small head, big waist, tapering down to my feet).
vealcalf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 04:29 PM   #4  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Height: 5'3"

We're in the same boat sister! I end up buying capri length pants cut for regular(?) height women so that they fit like long pants on me--or in most cases, a bit of a case of the "floods" if you know what I mean. It's really frustrating to be in-between the sizes as well, like not quite a plus size 16, but the 18W are just too big? What to do besides wear hideous stretchy pants??? I laugh because if I don't, I'd probably cry Hopefully we'll be out of the plus sizes soon and truly moving into the regular petite sizing, then we won't have to deal with this insanity. But what to do in the meantime?
melekalikimaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:24 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Boy, do I feel your pain. I just got done ordering some pants called "shaped-fit" Mustang pants from Old Pueblo Traders catalog. They are supposed to be less baggy in the seat and legs. My waist is thick and my legs and butt are small, so if it fits my waist, it hangs down in the seat. I generally wear the sort of stretch legging things that Wal-mart sells for about $15, but all they have this year is denim, brown, black - no colors. Hate brown, already have denim.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:50 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/199/150

Default Short and Fat

Go to JC Penney and check out the Alfred Dunner line. They come in short lengths, but most have elastic waists. Most of the clothes are very stylish, although there are some that only my Mother would wear. It's ALWAYS my first stop when I need clothes. I'm thinking that old Alfred must have a short fat wife!! LOL
PDQuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:15 PM   #7  
Free-thinker

Height: 5'9"

I have trouble with jeans too! But mine is the opposite gailr42 and vealcalf200. My waist is small but my hips are wide and my butt and upper thighs are huge. By the time I find pants that fit my hips, butt, and thighs the waist is huge! Far too huge for even a belt to fix. Only one type of jeans fit me just right. And I'm getting worried they'll be taken off the market soon. As for dress pants, I can't wear any. They never fit. I hate my hips.... Some say I have those wide child-bearing hips, but since I don't plan on ever having any I'd rather not have them.
BlessedBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:20 AM   #8  

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for the suggestions! Part of it is the town I live in is pretty small, so our options are pretty limited. We have a JCPenney, and some pants that I'm wearing now are from there, and I love them. But since the town is small, the selection in the stores is small too, so they don't always have all the good stuff. Oh well, guess I gotta lose weight!
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 12:11 PM   #9  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

I buy this brand at walmart, oh how i hate to shop there. Name brand is old glory. They have a bit of spandex in them and wash up well. They do still sell them even though I haven't bought any for years. They come in short sizes and long sizes too. Right now I have size 12-18 lol. Won't need to buy pants for awhile. I have found, one 18 is not the same as another 18. I have two pair of 18's. One is so big the other is only big on me now. Seems the darker blue is larger than the lighter blue because it is the same with the 16s I have. The darker blue ones I can get into, still just a touch to tight in the waist for my liking so I am not wearing them yet, the lighter blue pair I have to suck my breath in to get them buttoned.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 03:42 PM   #10  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

I hear you! 5'2 and finding pants that fit is very frustrating. Since I have a smaller waist, I find that the mid rise pants work best for me. That way I don't have a huge gap at the waist band, and then they aren't low enough to show my crack
The length is the biggest issue for me. I have to roll most of my pants up (never get around to hemming them). I jump for joy when I can find pants that fit just right and wear them into shreads!
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 03:16 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 156/154/135

I'm 5'4" and petites are 1/2' too short and regulars are several inches too long. I bought a sewing machine. I have no idea how to use it so I just bought higher heels... argh!
Lafayette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:11 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 167/148/125

Height: 5'6"

i would suggest Charlotte Russe has a brand called Refuge. they come in short but they make everyones legs look a mile long. i'm on the tall side and they look awesome on me but i have a friend who is like 5'2" with the same pair of jeans and they look just as great if not better on her. most of the time you can catch them on sale for about $20
JeepsterQT is offline   Reply With Quote