Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 06-24-2005, 09:11 PM   #1  
Meg

Default Calorie Free S'Mores And Other Goodies & Concoctions

We had some discussion in this week's thread about how the world needs a no-cal s'more. Anyone made any progress yet?? The closest I ever came to a diet s'more was back in my WW days when I'd spread a little PB (or chocolate PB ) on a graham cracker square, top it with a marshmallow and another graham cracker square, and then microwave it. Unfortunately, it definitely had calories and may explain why I wasn't very successful on WW.

Anyway, while we're waiting for no-cal s'mores, I thought I'd pass along another pretty good concoction that I came up with tonight. As background -- I've been craving chocolate covered strawberries ever since a client told me on Monday about having some last weekend. I even dreamed about them on Monday night! (they were the size of basketballs in my dream ).

I bought real local strawberries today and tonight when my sweet tooth was acting up, I dipped a bunch of them into a half cup of SF chocolate pudding. Yum ... chocolate dipped strawberries!

What other great concoctions have you guys come up with lately? What satisfies your sweet tooth and is reasonably diet-friendly? Please share!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 09:25 PM   #2  
On my way!

The place where I get my salad dressing also sells a calorie free, sugar free chocolate dip and marshmallow dip...I'd love to try some of that on low fat graham crackers

www.waldenfarms.com
Smoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 11:10 PM   #3  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Luna makes a s'mores bar that is only 180 cals.

I dunno whether this would classify as a creation, but I used to love taking PB and mixing it with grape jelly, a spoonful of sugar and pancake syrup...stirring it all up and just gobbling it up. Now it's PB, All Fruit spread, and a spoon of honey.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 11:37 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostheaven
I dunno whether this would classify as a creation, but I used to love taking PB and mixing it with grape jelly, a spoonful of sugar and pancake syrup...stirring it all up and just gobbling it up. Now it's PB, All Fruit spread, and a spoon of honey.
Now I really believe your pregnant

I am at a standstill with concoctions lately.... I need help .... Fresh strawberries are coming out soon... and the chocolate pudding sounds really good ... Thank goodness I don't even like smores....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 05:45 AM   #5  
Meg

Ilene, you are the of concoctions! I can't believe you haven't created anything lately (though I know how hectic your life has been with all the driving lately). OK, so here's one for you. It's not original with me, but I'm loving it - so long as I can moderate the PB part.

I cup lowfat cottage cheese
2 teaspoons natural PB
Sprinkle with enough dry SF chocolate pudding mix to flavor it and stir it all up.

I swear it tastes like a Butterfinger, but it's been at least four years since I've had a real one, so I may be a bit .
Old 06-25-2005, 08:33 AM   #6  
Mel

I just bought a couple of cans of Stallones protein pudding: 100 calories per can and 20 grams of protein. I'm going to experiment this afternoon with fruit dipping.

Meg, I take the cottage cheese/ PB concoction, add 1tsp dry cocoa powder, tsp. splenda, 1 tsp. slivered raw almonds and 1/4 fiber one cereal. I'm not sure what is tastes "like", but it's a more or less clean meal minus the vegies.

The closest thing I've found to a zero calorie treat is Heavenly Desserts Meringues:Heavenly Desserts They have 12 calories for 3 of them. I order them online, but have also found them in health food stores. A good emergency dessert is 6 of them, with half a cup of blueberries, and fake cream made from blendered cottage cheese, water and splenda. (I'm big on cottage cheese.)

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 10:23 AM   #7  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene
Now I really believe your pregnant
LOL! No, I actually ate that stuff pre-pregnancy. It was good for a sweet tooth.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 01:06 PM   #8  

Making meringues yourself is really easy. I use powdered egg whites, whip with water and powdered erythritol (or splenda), a dab of cream of tartar, maybe a lil stevia and some unsweetened cocoa - whip the dickens out of it and bake at 200F on parchment paper for 1-2 hours. Makes about 25-30 meringues, about 100 cals for the whole batch (give or take, depending on what you use for flavor/sweetener).
featherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 05:27 PM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

Meg, you're right I haven't made up any concoctions lately, not for a very long time it seems... and you know what I am not gaining weight but I feel fat, does that make sense?... I know it's because I'm not eating 5-6 protein/carb meals/day, I'm not consistent...your PB,CC and Chocolate sounds good, so does Mel's concoctions ... Next week I should be ok, I don't work, work is DONE for the summer and I should be more consistent with food and exercise intensity is not as it used to be....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 01:40 AM   #10  

I'm not a maintainer yet but I enjoy reading the tips and information on these boards because I am trying to set myself for maintenance, when I get there... anyway, I saw this thread and thought I'd share.

Cool whip has been putting recipe/adds in "women's" magazines lately and I've tried a few of the treats and been very pleased with the results.
A couple of yummy ones:

Nilla Yogurt Freeze
Cover bottom of paper lined muffin cup with 1 reduced fat nilla wafer
top with combined 2 tbsp each of thawed cool whip lite and ff strawberry yogurt and 1 wafer
Freeze until firm.
70 calories
I add strawberries to this and it's a very satisfying sweet treat. It also works well with other flavors of yogurt obviously.

Another good one is the Iced French Vanilla Whipaccino
Add enough ice cubes to 1/3 cup of water to measure 3/4 cup
Add to blender with 1 tbsp gf sugar free decaff french vanilla cafe
Blend until slushy. Top with 1 tbsp cool whip lite.
40 calories

I also like adding ff cool whip to a ff pudding. Yummy!

They have other recipes on their website if you like cool whip (which I do).

enjoy!
And thanks for letting the rest of us know that it can be done!
BellaLumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 06:01 AM   #11  
Meg

Thanks for the ideas, Bella - they look wonderful!

On Mel's recommendation, I bought some of the protein pudding and am going to try it today - will report back. Here's a strawberry pie recipe that I made when my kids where home last week and they loved it:

SugarFree Strawberry Pie

1 pound fresh strawberries
2 boxes sugar free strawberry Jell-O
2 boxes sugar free cook and serve (not instant) vanilla pudding mix
3 cups water

Optional – fat free Cool Whip

Wash, hull, and halve strawberries. Place in the bottom of a large pie dish.

Combine the dry Jell-O powder, dry pudding mix, and water in a saucepan. Cook, stirring, until mixture comes to a full boil.

Pour over berries in pie dish. Chill for 4 – 6 hours and cut into wedges. Top with Cool Whip, if desired.

Calories – approximately 360 for the whole pie.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:14 AM   #12  

Meg - The strawberry pie looks good! What size box of jello and pudding do you use for it?

Sue
MaintenanceMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 12:13 PM   #13  
Meg

Sue - I use the standard 4 serving size pudding and Jello boxes - mine says .32 oz for the Jello (mine is actually Royal brand) and .8 oz for the pudding mix. I'm making one today, as a matter of fact!
Old 07-16-2005, 01:20 PM   #14  
Working My Way Back Down

Oh, yum, and I have fresh strawberries from my garden! I've never seen the sf cooked pudding (would you believe I typed cereal first? ) so I'll look for it in the store this afternoon. I've always preferred the cooked puddings over the instant anyway. I love strawberry pie too.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 09:41 AM   #15  
Empress/Queen

I don't think ANY food that creates energy in even the slightest degree could be "calorie free" exactly (even if they say so on the label), but I NEED to find that chocolate syrup thing mentioned in a postie above! Could someone please be so kind as to provide me with the brand name? Thanks!
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote