Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 10-05-2005, 12:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 174.2/148.6/145

Height: 5'7"

Question Hey Maintainers...How did you know....?

What your final weight would be, how did you determine that. I am really close to my goal, but I'm not sure if that should be the Final weight. I went with my "winter weight" before kids, so it's not any scientific determination. I'm just curious. I haven't (as of yet) hit any plateaus where I'm not losing. Is that a factor (kinda of why I'm asking)

Thanks,
diamond_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 02:15 PM   #2  

For me deciding on a goal weight was definately not rocket science! I had my son at 21 and I was 115 prebaby. I was 142 at his birth and now I am trying to stay below 125. I would give anything to be 115 again, but my body has changed so much I think that I may look way too skinny if I go down to that. I have curves, but my thighs seem to be my problem area...all the pounds go there if I gain. I weigh myself tonight and hopefully will have lost a couple pounds with my calorie counting. i would say prebaby weight for anyone is a great goal, but sometimes unattainable because your body has gone through so much....definately not impossible though. If you get to one weight and think you could afford to lose a couple more, no one is going to stop you, but you. Just get to a weight you feel comfortable at and makes YOU feel great!
tampagirlcmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 03:40 PM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

I second what tampagirl says. For me, "maintenance" means staying below 150 - usually hovering between 145-148 lbs at 5'4". Now I realize that for a lot of people that would be considered "still fat" but from experience I know that if I get down below 140 I have to FIGHT to stay down there - and my body gives me all sorts of signals that FOR ME, that weight is WAY too low (like losing my period, hair thinning, etc). Besides, for me it's being healthy and fitting into clothes that counts, so no worries

I think plateaus are natural in the weight loss process - in fact I had a bunch. My theory (copped from Michael Fumento) is that the best way to lose is to lose SLOWLY - lose, say, 10% of your weight and then spend some time at that weight before attempting to lose more. You know - like the Setpoint Theory - the body gets accustomed to being at a certain weight after awhile - who says it needs to be a high weight?

Some day, I might try and get my setpoint down to 140 but it's not anywhere near a priority for me in the forseeable future
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 11:07 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

I don't have a maintenance weight number I have a maintenance weight size. I'm a loose 8 at the moment, I'd like to be for sure a 6, but down to a 4, like MrsJim. We are both the same height and I weigh the same at the moment as she does and I'm an 8. So I guess I just want to bring down my BF% and gain more muscle...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 08:18 AM   #5  
Mel

I have a "look" that I aim for and a size. When I first started my journey I randomly picked a number. It was the last weight that I remember maintaining as an adult for a few years between pregnancies. When I got down to that point (135) I really didn't like my body at all! I maintained there for about 3 years, but continue to try and change my shape through increasingly heavy weight training and tweaks in nutrition. Last year I finally realized I just wasn't happy at that size and lost another 15-18 pounds. Although it's much harder to maintain, I'm a more comfortable in my leaner body.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 09:06 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I originally aimed for 130 and I don't know why. I wasn't happy there and aimed for under 125. At that I still had belly softee so I went down to 120 or 122. It wasn't hard to stay there ( I really just screwed up).
This time, staying under 130 has been pretty simple and not hard work. However, we just got a bunch of old films developed. My 'afters' are in there. I was 119 one morning and quickly got DH to take pictures I really like that look ....
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 09:46 AM   #7  

I'm 5'4 and it seems my maintenance is around 125 (give or take) w/18% BF. I still have a bit of fat hanging around (thighs and belly pooch) but even with heavy weight training nothing wants to budge. So I think I'll stay here -- I'm 38, so there's no way I am ever getting back to 'high school' weight ..

I like food, so I don't want to be any weight that would require an abnormally low intake for life. It just wouldn't work for me. I can get away with around 2K cals a day at this weight and that's fine. I think to be any lower I'd have to cut calories drastically and that's just not a way to live!

So I'd say that 'when to stop' is when you are at a weight that feels good and doesn't require extreme measures to keep.
featherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 12:38 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 174.2/148.6/145

Height: 5'7"

Thanks everyone. I'm still trying to figure it all out. Although I've already lost 22 lbs, I still feel FAT. When does that feeling go away?? Right now I can fit into a size 10 with plenty of room, and a size 8 a little snuggly. I would LOVE to fit into a size 8 with plenty of room. I totally understand that extra around the middle (UGH). anyway, thanks for your answers
diamond_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 01:05 PM   #9  

My original "goal weight" was one I set at WW about 15 years ago. I chose it because it was in the middle of their range for my height. I've been down to that weight 3 times and twice managed to put 50 pounds on when I wasn't paying attention.

This time around, after reaching my goal of 140, it seemed that my body wasn't quite finished and I lost another 10 pounds or so. I've been maintaining 130 for almost a year now without any problem.

What's different? This time, I lost weight and maintained it by eating in a healthy way, choosing lots of fruit and veggies, whole grains and lean protein. With my previous attempts, I was just eating lower calorie versions of the same old bad foods. This time, I've developed a fitness routine that I can live with (actually, I really miss it when I can't workout!). Previously, my idea of exercise was a good, brisk sit .

I think this time, my goal weight chose me. Like everyone else said, it is a weight I can easily maintain, just by staying away from junk food and empty calories.
talks2flowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 02:22 PM   #10  

I picked my original goal weight (150 lbs.) based on a medium to high range for my height in the weight/height charts. But when I got there, and realized that the diet doesn't just end now, I figured out that my body wasn't done yet. So I pretty much kept everything the same as when I was losing, except I was a little more lenient about my food, and even added a little extra to try to level myself out. Eventually, my body settled at about 130, and I have very little trouble maintaining this weight.

Quote:
Although I've already lost 22 lbs, I still feel FAT. When does that feeling go away??
Now, feeling fat is a whole other story entirely! I still feel fat some days, even after losing 190 lbs. But the feeling is not uncommon, I think we all go through that, and perhaps we always will.

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote