Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-11-2004, 10:28 PM   #1  

Unhappy I am obsessed with the scales!

Hello everyone.
I am wondering just why I put sooo much emphasis on weighing myself twice a day, now that I have recently made my goal weight. I was sooo excited several weeks ago when at my WW meeting, I became a Lifetime Member. However, now I seem to be letting the numbers on the scales control me. I am very happy to be at my goal weight, however, I know, on the other hand, I am really worried about gaining all these unwanted pounds back again! How long did it take you to come to grips with this? In other words, I am sure with time, that these "unsure" feelings will disappear.I just want to enjoy the NEW ME without worrying on a day to day basis that I could gain this weight back.

BTW when I was going to the WW meetings every week, I did NOT worry constantly about what the scales read. However, today, is different. Any help you can give me to help me get over this fear will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot!

CAROL
Carolfromfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 08:29 AM   #2  
Meg

Oh Carol -- I STILL have the same problems! I still worry about gaining the weight back and I still weigh myself every day. But I think that you can use those two things to your advantage and that time helps you put it all in perspective. You'll be able to relax and ease up a bit as you live maintenance. I really do understand that panicked feeling that you get once you hit goal because it's like: "now what? I worked hard and got to where I want to be but ... how do I stay here?"

I mentally struggled for the first three months of maintencance -- I'd eat a treat and then freak out and think that I'd wake up 20 pounds heavier the next day ... I was really obsessing over little gains on the scale and not sure what to do to keep the weight off. What I learned is that I just need to keep doing what I did to lose the weight (at least most of the time) and the weight stays off just fine. There's a little more room for leeway (and since you're doing WW, you get extra points, right?) but it's not all that different from whatever you did to get to goal. Especially with regard to exercise!

In "Thin For Life", one of the habits of maintainers that's discussed is constantly monitoring their weight and taking action before a little gain gets to be a big one. So I'm not going to tell you not to weigh yourself . Now that you're at goal, it's important for you to learn how the food you eat and how much you exercise affects your weight maintenance. But perhaps twice a day is a little too often?

I've come to accept the fact that I'm going to weigh myself every morning unless someone comes and rips the scales out of my bathroom. But no more than once a day -- I do try to limit it to that! What it's shown me is that, yes, the scale will invariably go up after I eat more than usual, especially sweets and/or carbs. But -- once I get right back to my usual routine of eating and exercise, the scale will go back down.

Use that fear of gaining the weight back to keep you focused on maintenance. Not to the point of letting it drive you nuts, of course, but just enough to always keep you on your toes. We can't really afford to slack off very much, I don't think -- it's when you take a day or week or (horrors!) a month off that you run into problems. And it's so much easier to make this a way of life than to be quitting and re-starting and stopping and starting over all the time.

After a while, it all becomes second nature -- just part of your life. You'll gain confidence that you'll be able to keep the weight off just by living maintenance, day by day. Now that it's been two years for me, I know that the only way I'll ever gain the weight back is if I allow myself to gain it through deliberate bad choices -- it's not going to sneak up on me while I'm sleeping! No one and nothing but me can make me fat again -- and I'm not going to do that! And I know that you aren't going to do that either!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 09:57 AM   #3  

Thanks sooo much for all the good advice, Meg! You are a real gem!You have already made me feel better about this whole maintenance ordeal. I will continue exercising, watching my food intake, and in general continue in the same path as I have in the past.I will also make sure that I only weigh in ONCE a day, and since I have a tendency to retain water, I will weigh in first thing every morning. I will also continue drinking TONS of WATER as always. I feel that with the passage of time, I will gain the confidence I need so as not to worry constantly about those ugly pounds ever returning!! I am soooo happy to be at goal, and now I want to enjoy life to its fullest, and yet maintain my "new" figure! Even though I only had to lose 25 pounds, you are indeed an inspiration to keep it off.I am glad to know that my worries and fears will gradually disappear.

BTW, I have ordered "Thin For Life" from Amazon, and should be getting this book any day now. I am sure I will get a lot of helpful hints from it. The author also has a book out on recipes by different "masters". Have you gotten that book too? If so, is it worth buying?

Again, thanks for giving me a new outlook! Take care, and have a great day!
CAROL
Carolfromfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 10:32 AM   #4  
Meg

I haven't bought the cookbook but will take a look at it the next time I'm at Borders. BTW, I didn't realize that Thin For Life has been revised (I'm sure your copy will be the new version). Mine is probably ten years old, so I'll have to check the new one out also. While I'm there, I'll look and see if there are other books about weight maintenance admidst the sea of weight loss books. If anyone has any recommendations for other books on weight maintenance, please post them and perhaps we can put together a little library of recommended reading.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 01:37 PM   #5  

Hi Carol - I can relate! Though I'd still like to lose a bit more, I've maintained a 95-pound weight loss for almost two years. That's not to say that I've never gained a pound or two (or five), but have been quick to get back on the wagon anytime I find myself drifting away. You'll learn to relax. And just remember that you know what needs to be done in order to lose the weight. You're not the "helpless soul" you were at your heaviest (I put that in parenthesis because we all know that one is not helpless, but it sure did feel that way at the time...) If you come back from a week-long vacation with an extra 3 pounds, you know you can take it right back off. That knowledge is usually enough for my peace of mind. Congrats on getting lifetime! ;-)
wcolleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 10:22 PM   #6  
Mel

I don't know how I missed this thread, but it really cuts to the core for me. I'm coming up this week on my 3 year anniversary of when I really started to change my eating and lifestyle. I've been at goal (plus or minus 5 pounds) for 2 1/2 years, and I don't think I've ever relaxed about it. I will make a conscious decision to NOT weigh myself everyday, but every morning, there's a tug towards the scale. Mostly I don't weigh if I know I'm up a bit- seeing the number that I suspect is too demoralizing and apt to send me further out of control. I'll get back on track for a few days before I step onto the monster.

I don't know if I'll ever relax about food, numbers, calories.... I still track everything I eat, although I didn't until about a year ago. For me, it seems the more time passes, the less relaxed I get. Perhaps because I've seen how quickly 5 pounds can appear when I relax a little too much. Maybe someday lightening will strike and I'll have a "normal" relationship with the scale and food,but this is my life for the foreseeable future. It beats being fat.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 05:47 PM   #7  
Searching

I have given my scale to my son. I have an ED so the damn thing can really efect my outlook. No matter what it says my son looks and me and says,"Look Mom your still the same, your still beautiful" and then he gets on and gets excited if he has gained any weight (he's 5'5 and 113 lbs ) . Really puts the thing into perspective for me.

Chris
rochemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 05:25 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

I've only been at my goal weight for about 6 weeks now. Its nice to know i am not the only one who can be in agonies thinking the weight is going to pile back on overnight!

However, i dont weigh myself every day, or even every two days. Probably the most frequently is once a week. When i decided to lose weight and increase my fitness i also decided i wasnt going to let the scales rule my life. If i am eating correctly, and doing the exercise, then i know i am on the right track. Some days i will admit i want to weigh myself all the time, and i do panic sometimes if i have a "treat". But the needle has held steady every week...so once a week i will keep it at! I dont want to be obsessed with my weight and the possibility of regaining. To me, personally, that is a worse way to live than to have the extra couple kilos. I want to live and be happy.

(Before i ballooned out to 76kgs i'd been able to maintain a healthy 68kgs for years. It was a nasty depression that sent me off the rails so to speak, shuttng myself in my room and never moving. Now i am down to 57kgs and more active than i've ever been. I love life lol)

Last edited by Lyria; 08-01-2004 at 05:27 AM.
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote