Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-07-2004, 10:09 AM   #1  
Meg

Talking Weight Loss And Fitness Surprises!

We did something like this over at LWL a while back and it was a lot of fun, so I thought I'd start a thread about all the unexpected things that we discover as we lost (or are losing) weight.

Of course, there are certain things that one expects when you lose weight -- you'll fit into smaller sizes, you'll be able to move better and not run out breath, your overall health will improve -- all great rewards for your hard work! But what I'm asking is: what were you surprised to discover? What caught you totally off-guard?

For me, I didn’t expect:
  • that I would have to move the seat of my car up three or four inches in order to reach the steering wheel
  • that I would not be able to float in a pool anymore
  • that I would have a devil of a time trying to shave the “caves” under my arms
  • that people I have known for 20+ years would simply not recognize me
  • that my shoes would all get too big — clothes yes, shoes no
  • that oatmeal would become a favorite food
  • that I would LOVE to lift weights -- not just doing it because it is good for me but because it is FUN!
Anyone else have any surprises?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 10:26 AM   #2  
Head Princess

Oh I love this! We have one over on the Atkins forum, too.

I didn't expect
* that I could cross my legs and they'd hang straight down
* that I'd lose shoe and ring sizes
* that I'd be so cold
* that I'd frequently find myself curling up into a ball
* that I'd feel all restless and gross if I didn't get in a good workout
* that I'd love spaghetti squash
* that people would treat me so differently
StarPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 11:58 AM   #3  

ALL of the above --

- skin is clear
- enjoy drinking water
- my thighs do have muscle!
- people ask if I'm a trainer?!? This shocks me, it has happened twice in the last couple of weeks...
- all my older clothing is actually LOOKING big, and I wonder, did I really fit in that size?

I'm sure I'll think of more...
3fcuser1058250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 01:05 PM   #4  
Mel

All sorts of things, some positive some negative:
- the cold is REALLY cold. Our heating bills are higher.
- I can reach the entire keyboard on the piano without having to twist. I just lean.
- I really am big-boned for my height. I know it sounds like every fat person's favorite excuse, but my shoulders, back and hips are wide and my hands are big. There was no Barbie doll hiding under the fat.
- I'm really strong.
- I'm much pickier about my clothes now that I have more of a choice.
- Except for pants, I can nationalize my daughter's cast off clothing.
- I crave lettuce.
- I changed careers and hang out with guys with shaved heads and tatoos.
- Most of my friends have quit inviting me to go out to lunch.
- I found a whole new family of like-minded friends on the internet

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 01:20 PM   #5  
maintaining

S/C/G: 243/170/165

Height: 6'

I'm mostly a lurker in this forum, but this was too good to pass up. You guys have listed some really great things. I don't have that many to add – but I didn't expect:
            mette is offline   Reply With Quote
            Old 07-07-2004, 01:36 PM   #6  

Height: 5'1"

I'm not quite at the maintainer stage yet but I had to add to this also.

-I look younger than I used to...not so worn out from trying to catch my breath
            -I feel younger, the energy is better...I hope to get even more engergy once I reach goal
            -My underwear have gotten baggy!! (who knew THAT would happen?)
            -I don't hang my head down in shame
            -I love to get a hair cut. No longer have to hide behind the mess!! (although I am trying to grow it back, with a style)
            -Exercise is something to look forward to rather than dread

So much more, but once I reach goal.....and get to the maintaining stage....I can post then!! Great thread!

Marti
            Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
            Old 07-07-2004, 01:43 PM   #7  
            Running Babe

I have a ribcage!!!

I have a small waist

I also discovered how flat I was.

I got more confident in OTHER areas in my life

Meg: I completely understand the armpit thing. Since I can't a TT until after I have my brood, I am thinking of getting permanent underarm hair removal there since I usually end up missing a little.

Mel: It's weird, I wouldn't say I have a large frame, but my bones are thick, so I guess I am big boned (my rib cage is thick, my collar bones are thick etc). I also miss veggies when I skip them.

Cheers!

Ali
            Sweater Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
            Old 07-07-2004, 02:25 PM   #8  

I just reached my goal weight a few weeks ago, and what a great feeling! A lot of things that have already been said, I wholeheartedly agree with.Here's a few of the things that I have really noticed has happened to me:
            -Yes, I am cold too!:0 Although I live in North Florida, everytime we go out to dinner, I have to have a sweater with me, or I am miseralble in the restaurant.

-I love my daily jog and power walking (combination) ,and actually look forward to it! I go for an hour everyday. I used to exercise because I knew I should, but NOW I get up every morning, and look forward to exercising! I NEVER thought I would feel like this! If for some unusual reason, I can't exercise, I am miserable for the entire day!

I agree with Star Princess that people definitely treat you differently,no matter how large amount or small amount of weight you have lost.

-My taste buds have definitely changed. I do NOT crave the sweets, or fatty foods like pizza at all anymore. I would much rather have an apple, blueberries, watermelon, or some other kind of fruit instead.

-Shopping for a whole new wardrobe is soooo much fun! I love it. Getting compliments on your new clothes is a real good feeling too, knowing that people have noticed my weight loss.

-I an sure there are more, but this is a good start.

Carol
            Carolfromfl is offline   Reply With Quote
            Old 07-08-2004, 02:34 PM   #9  

Definetly the armpit thing, who knew??

I'm constantly freezing and carry a light jacket with me everywhere. (and it's HOT here!)

I don't have horrible cravings for candybars, chocolate, etc. anymore but do crave healthier snacks like my favorite yogurt, Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal and my usual grilled chicken salad, which I adore.

I sleep 100% better at night. I used to have an awful time falling asleep and would always wake up hurting. Now I fall right to sleep and wake up refreshed and energized!

I suffer from migraines but they occur a lot less often now and generally don't last as long.

And one more, this may sound crazy, but I was genuinly surprised by how much easier it was than I assumed it would be. I'm sure this has to do with my mindset this time, but when it came down to it, it was time for a change and I was ready for it, THANK GOODNESS!!

Beverly
            boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
            Old 07-08-2004, 04:25 PM   #10  
            Head Princess

This is probably the strangest one for me: I never expected that the world would look different to me. Those size 5's that looked so tiny, don't look that small anymore. People that seemed 'normal' sized seem bigger now. What was once an impossibly small space now looks cozy and perfect to curl up in. I never realized that the whole world would seem to grow when I shrank.

Last edited by StarPrincess; 07-08-2004 at 04:28 PM.
            Old 07-08-2004, 04:37 PM   #11  
            Meg

Default More Alice In Wonderland

Star, along those same lines: how about the way a typical "portion" of food back then now looks like it could feed a family of four? You know, the single-serving pint of Ben & Jerrys? Single serving box of Girl Scout cookies or can of Pringles? Pound bag of M&Ms? 1/2 pound of pasta?

Seriously, it was really shocking to me when I first starting measuring out my food to see what a normal portion of food really is. Holy cow, 1/2 cup of ice cream is teensie-weensie! It's one of those little cups that the SF jello comes in! I'm sure that my single serving size of ice cream had been at least two cups. And let's not even start on cereal ....
            Old 07-08-2004, 05:00 PM   #12  
            Head Princess

OMG - exactly! I was that way with pasta. Of course, now I understand why I could eat an entire bowl overflowing with noodles and still feel hungry. Which leads me to another one: I never expected that I would be freaked out/replused/amazed at what and how much and just plain old how people eat.
            Old 07-08-2004, 05:22 PM   #13  
            Meg

That's true for me too -- thinking about the family Thanksgiving food orgies in recent years

I try to use it to my advantage when I go out to eat in a restaurant: when I'm tempted by all the bad stuff and gigantic quantities of food, I tell myself to look around at the huge people eating huge portions ... and put 2 + 2 together ... mall food courts are a shocking experience ...
            Old 07-08-2004, 06:06 PM   #14  

Cool

Yes, mall food courts or any junk food place makes me want to eat healthier than ever! Looking at someone gobble fries and such turns me off... Now when I see an overweight person eating a salad *I* ADMIRE them to sticking with it in such a circumstance...

It is amazing how, like Star said, ppl who you thought were normal are now really not... and small ppl look more normal... Same goes with sizes... I still look at a 9 and think it won't fit tho...... That may take time, but hey I gots all the time in the world ...
            3fcuser1058250 is offline   Reply With Quote
            Old 07-08-2004, 06:09 PM   #15  
            Head Princess

Meg - so true on the food court! I can't stand to go near them or buffets! Ack! Why did it never occur to me that if you look around a food place and see mainly large, unhealthy looking people, that perhaps that is not food I should be eating?

Jack - I totally agree with you on the self esteem. And I can really relate to what Mette said about wondering what people are looking at (what's on my face/hair/in my teeth?). It feels very strange to be seen after being invisible for so long. It's pretty fun!