Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 04-04-2019, 03:01 PM   #136  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlinAtTheMoon View Post
JayZeeJay, good to see you back in the swing of things
Dagmar, I hope that was your last snow. Enough already!
Nancy, I hope your testing is going well. Hang in there!
Michele, you are having such a nice mental break. I'm glad to hear it.
Ange, I am also trying to prepare for some backpacking and hiking (trekking as you call it). I can usually keep up with my younger friends on a regular trail, but my old stiff knees hamper me in anything rough. I can still climb rocks and descend, but only slowly. It is a feeling of being fragile, which I hate but just have to accept. I always remind my friends that I will be slow on the rocky stuff and they are good about it. I'll be 65 this year and can still cover 16-18 mountain miles in a day, so really shouldn't complain.
Alice! 16-18 miles per day is great at any age!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 05:17 PM   #137  
learning maintenance

S/C/G: 159/113/<114

Height: 5' 3.5"

Alice - Yep that's a good solid distance especially for the mountains. Plenty of people in our club your age and older too - they're my inspiration and exactly where I want to be in another 15++ years especially with retirement factor and therefore more time to do it! If you love trekking you've got something you love for a lot of years there (hopefully!). What trips do you have coming up?
I"m also going to the Dolomites with 3 other girls in early September to do the AV2 so really looking forward to that too (one of them is a bit apprehensive about the chains-sections, but they're the highlight for me!).

Did spin this morning. Kristy (instructor) changes up the routine and playlist every 4 weeks, and this one is super-tough. In fact i'm nowhere near doing it the way she calls it, whereas I could just about complete the last one, so it's a challenge alright, and the toughest workout of the week. Pheww, time to relax, drink tea, and start work!
ange82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:09 AM   #138  

We wound up having our lunch at a fast food place yesterday when out buying clothes for DH. I seldom eat fast food and was glad to see the calorie counts on the menu. I had what I thought to be the best option that most closely met my usual lunch calories. I did have a diet soda but I figure one of those a week is not too bad. Gotta have some small indulgences!

Dagmar :
Old 04-08-2019, 04:26 PM   #139  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
We wound up having our lunch at a fast food place yesterday when out buying clothes for DH. I seldom eat fast food and was glad to see the calorie counts on the menu. I had what I thought to be the best option that most closely met my usual lunch calories. I did have a diet soda but I figure one of those a week is not too bad. Gotta have some small indulgences!

Dagmar :
I really appreciate calorie counts when they're on the menu. Sometimes what I think is the best caloric option isn't always the case.
I shudder to think how many calories might have been in all my meals out in Vancouver. I weighed myself to start a dietbet when I returned and I was up (temporarily thank god) by 10 pounds!
Luckily a couple days of healthy eating, fluids and exercise "flushed" some of that out. I weighed again yesterday and I'm up a total of 4 pounds, which is probably true. I'm working hard to get it back down ASAP!

Back to work today after a week off. Sure is hard getting back into the routine!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:30 AM   #140  

Sabotaged myself. Bought mint Girl Guide cookies on the weekend and vowed to only have a serving (2 cookies total 120 cals) each evening as a treat.

That lasted all of 2 evenings. Ate the rest of the box yesterday afternoon while viewing talk show vids on Utube.

The deed is done. No more of these this season.

Dagmar
Old 04-10-2019, 03:21 PM   #141  
Workin' It

I feel you, Dagmar. Girl Scout cookies don't last in my house, no matter how strong my intentions are when I buy them.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:46 PM   #142  
learning maintenance

S/C/G: 159/113/<114

Height: 5' 3.5"

I've been going good diet-wise since my resolve to 'do better' 11 days ago. The scales don't especially agree, and are still about 1.5 lb up from where I've been the last 6 months, but i'm expecting them to fall in to line sooner or later since i'm making better choices at the mo. Not perfect, but sustainable.

Ha Mudpie - classic sabotage. Nice work for confessing and also on resolving not to buy again for a while (I've no idea what a Girl Guide cookie is, but we've not had cookies in our house for decades - a half-open box would definitely weigh on the mind (and then on the scales!)) Individually wrapped chocolates is really the only sweet thing we have in the cupboard, and i'll have one of those maybe 3x per week (meanwhile the hubster is more likely to have them 3x per night, and buy other treats in the day - not fair.....)
ange82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 06:12 AM   #143  

ange My DH is the snack saboteur in our house too! His thing is salty carbs - chips, crackers, popcorn with seasoning, etc. I have been doing a pretty good job of staying away from his stuff as my weakness is sweet things. And he tends to eat after I've gone to bed which makes it a bit easier. Still it does make it harder to not overeat when you know the other person in the household is doing it.

Dagmar
Old 04-11-2019, 09:00 AM   #144  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

After the long weekend in Santa Barbara, my weight was up 4 pounds. It came off in two days! And then my face swelled up on one side (not tooth related, I'd been to the dentist a week or so ago). Went to urgent care thinking it was an infection as I had bitten the inside of my mouth the prior evening during dinner. Nope. He thought it was angio edema, probably an allergic reaction to my high blood pressure meds. Got a steroid shot (that hurt like heck) and an Rx for prednisone which I have to take on a full stomach, but only after breakfast and lunch. Typically, I don't eat breakfast and I eat a light lunch--can't do that now. So I packed cantaloupe and blueberries and English muffins for breakfast the next two days and will have something a little more substantial than turkey vegetable soup for lunch. I can't risk stomach issues on the prednisone. I go back to my regular doctor on Monday. In the mean time, the facial swelling is down about 90% this morning. Weird thing is is that it's only on the right side--the doctor I saw yesterday said angio edema is usually all over the face.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 01:30 PM   #145  

S/C/G: 184/128/125

Height: 5'5"

Allison, how weird about your face. I would have questioned the Dx because it is only on one side. But glad it's gone down. Maybe you should stop taking the prednisone and see if it swells again.

We have had strong winds the last few days which has put a hold on my planting plans. But I'm moving a lot of dirt and rock in the meantime! My food intake has been good - we'll see if the scale agrees with me tomorrow
HowlinAtTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 02:42 PM   #146  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Just a word of caution. Prednisone must be tapered off; it can be dangerous if stopped suddenly.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:43 AM   #147  

DH received a cake as a gift from a colleague. It's kind of like a log cake egg - white outside with a creamy yolk center. We've each had 2 pieces - it's really rich and sweet - and the rest just went out in the compost. Too much of a good thing!

I bought each of us one small chocolate figure from the primo Belgian place and that will be it for Easter treats!

Dagmar
Old 04-16-2019, 09:17 AM   #148  

I seem to be craving sugar every night. I think it might be partially due to the lingering cold weather. Planning on cutting back on the caffeine as soon as it's warm enough to stash the parka. Less of an energy need when I'm not wearing a big heavy coat.

The sugar cravings usually happen when I'm coming down from the day's caffeine. The CBD seems to help soften those. I have to find a consistent way to take the CBD. Capsules would be good but only the government website sells those. I'm not impressed with their security so will stick with my alternate. The roll out and marketing of marijuana in Canada is a very messy and uneven process.

I'm consuming a weird balance of things. Not the optimum for health but I think I'm weighted toward the good health side of things, rather than the bad

Dagmar
Old 04-16-2019, 11:39 AM   #149  
Workin' It

Busy busy busy week this week. Still here, hanging in.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:21 PM   #150  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Dagmar, are you taking the CBD for anxiety?

Keep on hanging in, Shannon!
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote