Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 05-11-2016, 09:40 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Just got into the office. Surprise, surprise, she called in sick.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:48 AM   #17  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Yeah, no surprise, really.

Allison, of course the amount could be whatever you and your DH think is appropriate. I was just using round numbers, and I don't know what you pay her per month.

But as it is, you're giving her charity anyway. The "job" makes it deductible, but in the meantime you're not getting the help you want. I doubt you and DH can "make" her be more responsible at this point.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:32 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Allison-- does she get paid if she calls in sick? I would think any sick days would have been more than used up by now!

Alice-- that is interesting about the second opinion. I'm not sure I'd want to use a doctor that didn't believe in the treatment plan. Do you trust and like her otherwise? Years and years ago, I was having infertility issues and though my doctor was supposedly very good, we switched because he wasn't delving any deeper into my issues, because I was young and he felt I had years to get pregnant.

Years later, and two daughters who continue to not get along well. Sigh....
Younger dd is quite upset about the prospect of living with older dd, which is what I figured would happen. She will graduate in December with a teaching degree, but it is unlikely she will find a full time teaching position at that point and will likely sub, which won't be enough money to support herself. The plan is for her to live with her sister until she gets a full time position, which would likely be the following fall. We will see how it all plays out.... My mom was bipolar and we suspect dd has those tendencies as she can be very up and down emotionally-- she was hysterical talking to dh, but fine when I spoke to her later....

Today the pest guy and alarm guys are scheduled at the new house and then dd flies back to Arizona tomorrow.

Dh leaves Friday so we are starting to gear up for that.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:46 AM   #19  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

I appear as if the week is just beginning. Thanks for getting us started Birchie.

Four days in Florida with my DW's relatives worked out better than I would have dreamed. Of course, it helps to make a trip to the Everglades to see the birds normal to Florida but not here. All relatives behaved; I overate; I walked it off - all the standard stuff.

Good luck Dagmar with your DH's new position.

And good luck Allison with the difficult issue of a non-performing employee.

And cheers to all. The calendar in my head will probably remain offset all week.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:48 AM   #20  

She's part time, so no sick pay. She did have sick and vacation years back when she was full time, but since moving to part time, she's used all that up.

She, in her voice mail, suggested that I start looking for her replacement. Therefore, it sounds as if she is quitting, and I'll let her quit. And be done with it. I just don't want to fire her. I think that if I were to fire her I'd feel as if I needed to "give" her something, but if she quits, that's it. Done.

Meanwhile, since I'm leaving for vacation in just 2 1/2 weeks, I've asked my MIL to come in and learn to do payroll. I haven't talked to her at length whether or not she wants to be my permanent assistant or not. I'll do that this weekend to see what she wants to do. In any case, as long as I have someone here who can input payroll and go pick it up later that week and run deposits to the bank, all the rest of my job can wait for my return. I do have a small thing to teach my FIL as well, but that's it. When I teach them this stuff, I'll also teach it to our estimator so she'll have a basic understanding of it.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:55 AM   #21  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

So really, it's your DH who is the "charitable" one. Well, that's fine, as long as you can work it out with him.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:40 PM   #22  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
So really, it's your DH who is the "charitable" one. Well, that's fine, as long as you can work it out with him.
No, he and I think alike. Neither of us wants to fire her, but if she quits, we're fine with it. We've said all along that as long as she wants to work for us, we'll let her, for as long as she wants.

We're tired of her stringing us along. We're tired of her trying to make us think she is indispensable. No one is indispensable. Anyone can be replaced.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:17 PM   #23  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
We're tired of her stringing us along. We're tired of her trying to make us think she is indispensable. No one is indispensable. Anyone can be replaced.
Pretty ludicrous that she would even think that way. She must have a few mental/emotional issues on top of her physical problems.

Yup, anyone can be replaced.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:24 PM   #24  
Workin' It

I'm sorry, Allison. I know that is frustrating. You guys have bent over backwards for her for a long time. I hate that she took advantage of that generosity. You are right, no one is indispensable, especially not at her level. Some take more to replace than others, but she doesn't seem to be in that category. I hope she does quit, that takes the pressure off of you guys.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:27 PM   #25  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Allison, if the only thing you need an office assistant for is to answer phones, just get call-forwarding to your cell. Even if you're busy, you can always answer long enough to ensure it's not an emergency, then take a number to call the person back.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:50 AM   #26  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Dagmar - that is brilliant news about DH's job! Fingers crossed for you both.

Allison - shorts are optimistic, I think. Some people wear them in May/June but they are hard cases, in my view. I could be proved wrong and the weather could be amazing but it's never your kind of weather here. Perhaps take one pair, just in case? I'd also suggest a cardigan or jumper - and a (silk-type, not woollen) scarf of some kind. If the weather turns windy, cold and nasty, then you're prepared. Where are you embarking? Southampton, perhaps? And then do you go up the west coast?

Another day on the road here. Have packed a picnic. Feeling very fat with too much time in car and not enough exercise.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:50 PM   #27  

I found an article on a house we worked on several years back. I thought I'd share it with you all. It's a beautiful home--for sale for those of us that can afford an $9 million dollar home. LOL--not me! Be sure to look at the photo gallery.

MarcWare LA Times

Last edited by alinnell; 05-12-2016 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:33 PM   #28  

Birchie~thanks for the weather update. I sent you a PM

Andrea~I also have to be here to sign for shipments and to greet the stray person who comes in the door.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:45 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
I found an article on a house we worked on several years back. I thought I'd share it with you all. It's a beautiful home--for sale for those of us that can afford an $9 million dollar home. LOL--not me! Be sure to look at the photo gallery.

MarcWare LA Times
Gorgeous! But so stark - looks like it should be a modern art gallery or something. I love that aesthetic but I don't think I could pull off living anywhere like that - not unless I ditch hubby, dog and cat.

So your company did all that glass Allison?

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 11:54 AM   #30  

Yes, we did the glass on that house as well as bathroom stuff and the decorative stuff surrounding the tennis courts. I think those are plexiglass panels.

Our estimator called my assistant last night and is convinced she is dying. She won't call us. She only calls very early in the morning so she can leave a message without having to talk to us. This is a complete turn-around from two weeks ago when she was telling us that she'll be at our office for our vacation, but might quit at the end of June, and saying "I'm not dead yet." Perhaps she's just on a lot of drugs, but apparently she drifted off several times during the phone call. She claims she hasn't pooped since her colonoscopy and she says she isn't eating (but that's what she does). Frankly, I don't know why she isn't in the hospital.

Meanwhile we've been dealing with issues with several employees. First, one goes on vacation, comes back and says his ankle hurts. Works the day anyway, goes home and his mom takes him to the ER and they admit him for the day. Next, off for over 2 weeks with an IV antibiotic as he has cellulitis. I think he scratched his ankle while hiking on vacation. Next another scratches his shin. Same outcome, but he was in the hospital for 5 or 6 days, also cellulitis, but possible MRSA. Then a third sprained an ankle while hiking. Got the doctor okay to come back last Monday after two weeks off, but called to say he's scheduled for an MRI instead as he still can't walk. Now he called to find out about going on disability because he might have to have surgery.