Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 04-18-2016, 05:28 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat April 18 - April 24

Today is for running the Boston Marathon. The rest of us just cheer from home. There are large BOSTON STRONG signs up everywhere. Memories of the marathon bombing of 2013 fade ever so slowly even after three years.

It's a holiday in Massachusetts. I take great joy that my taxes are long done and submitted. In the old days, I'd be finishing them up today. Yay for progress in life.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:07 AM   #2  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Good morning!
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:35 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Good morning!

Bill I hope the marathon is a great celebration - enjoy!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:07 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Good morning, all!

The start to the week is looking good. The weather is beautiful. DH and I were (somewhat) discussing retirement this weekend. Basically, we were wondering if the money we've saved so far would last us. We don' think so--not unless we seriously start thinking about what we spend here and there. We don't splurge a lot, but we buy what we want when we want without a thought. If we were to retire, that would have to end. That and helping the kids with this and that as well.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:37 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Enjoy the holiday, Bill.
My dd in Houston has an unexpected holiday today as the schools are all closed due to terrible flash floods.

Nice weather here too. Warm, though later in the week is expected to be cold and rainy.
We are going to Napa this weekend and I was bemoaning the fact that the weather looks iffy. Dh pointed out that maybe I'm a tad spoiled if I complain about going to Napa if the weather isn't perfect. Touche.

I have a lot to organize at work this week, so I hope it all goes smoothly. I'm organizing an author visit (Mac Barnett!) and a Yogurt party for over 650 kids!

We splurged foodwise for lunch yesterday and my weight spiked. Hoping to get it back down before our weekend splurge. We're staying at a new place to us in Napa. Napa can be sooooo pricey but we found a reasonable B&B that looks nice. I sure hope so.... We will go to our favorite dinner restaurant one night and we've booked a new place to us for Friday night... So, I need to be spot on with food and exercise until then. Doesn't help that I had almost no sleep last night and feel like a (hungry) zombie....
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:21 PM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Trying to find a replacement car for the one I totaled. It's amazing... a few days ago many of the make and models we like were listed on cars dot com. Today, there is ONE. Period. Yow! I guess one has to check every few hours...
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:50 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 00/126/123

Height: 5'5"

Default Joined today

Hello,
I've joined today and skimmed over the maintainers section. It doesn't appear to have many current members and the posts are dated. Am I correct?
Hope to touch base with you here often and share our maintenance marathon.
Cheers,
Pina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:19 PM   #8  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hi Pina,
We have some regular contributors and a whole bunch of lurkers! This thread is the weekly chat, obviously, about whatever subjects come to mind. The other active thread is the "Losing a little bit more" thread, which is for maintainers who have regained some weight and are working to return to their goal weight. Some folks use that thread for tracking daily, as you can see, but it's not required.
Welcome to the Maintainers! Glad you joined in.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:54 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Welcome, Pina! Jump right in!
I post a lot in the other forum JayEll mentioned-- sometimes I'm trying to lose some, and other times not, but it is a more active thread.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 11:00 AM   #10  
Workin' It

Hi Pina! The weekly chat and the other losing some thread are the main active ones right now. The others are a little dated. We have a core group that participates in the discussions, but keep it to a few threads.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 06:34 AM   #11  

I slept until 6:06 a.m. this morning!

Hubby came to bed around 1 a.m. and put the cat in the hall - second night for that. He squirted her twice when she fussed and scratched at the door.

Then she went away. YES!

As you all know sleep has become a major issue for me. One which I think is now well on its way to being solved. Wheee!

Dagmar
Old 04-23-2016, 08:48 AM   #12  
in development

Dagmar, such good news! Glad the DH is helping.

Back from a garden centre where I indulged myself and bought some leeks as plug plants. Also a small tarragon plant as it's so good with warm chicken and bacon salad and we eat a lot of that. All the seeds I've sown are germinating like mad. (Last year's birthday present from the SO and DB was some propagating trays.) It's going to be a good year in the garden, fingers crossed.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:49 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

How I wish my garden fared better. Basically, I can grow tomatoes and Rosemary. My basil has died (but I think it's probably and annual anyway). I had moderate success with jalapeņos but my bell peppers are sad, small and not crisp at all.

I'm still having issues with my oldest cat Ringo. When DD brought all her animals over for a week of babysitting, that upset the balance of the cat universe and Ringo, being the most delicate of all, is still suffering three weeks later. I've managed to lure him out of our bedroom this morning, but I know he's still not completely well. I've given him his PTSD medication a couple times in the past few weeks and it has helped, as has his "calming" collar from Sentry (says it has calming pheromones--who knows for sure). I just wish he'd adapt better. And Waffles, all 7 pounds of her, doesn't help the situation as she's become ruler of the roost and constantly puts all the cats in their place.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 01:04 PM   #14  
in development

Tomatoes and rosemary are both lovely, Allison. With my slug and snail problem I've learnt to love what will grow here. Yes, basil's an annual. Mine is just germinating on the windowsill, here in the temperate maritime zone!
Old 04-24-2016, 07:15 AM   #15  

Birchie Have you tried saucers of beer for the slugs and snails? Or there are commercial traps using the same principle http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/p...26&cat=2,51555

Dagmar