Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 11-09-2015, 06:45 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat November 9 - November 15

It feels good to be long ago and far away from the Halloween candy.

For today astronomy class, I've got to go do my reading on how massive stars break up - creating Super Novas. Makes me think of Carl Sagan saying on TV, "We are star stuff."
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:31 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

And we literally are, Bill. The heavier elements on Earth came from a supernova long ago.

Now starts my season of avoidance.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:32 AM   #3  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:09 AM   #4  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

(Ditto, Silverbirch!) Which makes me wonder, who among us still remembers dittoes?

Yesterday spent running DS16 to the far side of the state for the first mandatory rehearsal for his upcoming summer European choir tour. While he was busy, we met up with some friends and assisted with a minor house detail and had a wonderful lunch. All in all a very good day, but bracketed on each end by a 3 hour drive.

Best of best part of the week ahead - I have a corporate holiday for Veteran's Day on Wednesday.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:16 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Oh how I wish we had the day off for Veterans Day. But, we are doing something special for a couple veterans. Habitat for Humanity is building two homes in our city and we've donated the windows and the labor to install them. I remember when DD was in school I'd always get to go to the parade and watch her march with the band and see all the veterans and cool old vehicles.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:55 AM   #6  
Workin' It

We also do not have Veteran's Day off work. The leasing office for my office building is closed, but it isn't a day they charge us for extra air so we stay open.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:28 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

That sounds super cool, Allison! Always great to do something for others.
We do have Wednesday off which is the first time we've had it off in the middle of the week. I've got my day super planned already with a nail appointment, my endocrinologist appointment, hopefully yoga and the dog park.

Dh is in Asia and the communication isn't working well. He can't get or send texts and the time difference is so great that we aren't communicating much. I think it put me in a woe is me mood yesterday, and I took my Sunday Funday (planned cheat meal) too far. My own fault and weight is up 3 pounds from yesterday. I hope I don't take all week to take it off again. Must. Stay. Focused. The holidays are right around the corner and I don't want to be where I am now!

It's raining here and cold.... the dogs were a mess on their walk this morning. I hope the rain abates this afternoon so I can take them out again.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:15 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

The time change is getting to me. Somehow it's a cumulative exhaustion that keeps getting worse. I'm waking up at about 3 a.m. now, all by myself with no assistance from Natalie. ARRRGH!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:42 AM   #9  

Feeling very grouchy at the moment. Weight was down a pound which is something (from the 3 it was up yesterday)....

Ellie woke me at 3:45 today to go out with loose poo..... not sure why? She ate something? Stressed from the rain yesterday?? Then, when I was about to walk out the door for work, she jumped on the couch, which somehow slid into a big wooden giraffe we got in Africa, which bumped the side of our curio cabinet. Huge crash! The whole side is shattered. I picked up what was on the floor and I'll have to deal with it after work. Dewey won't bother it and Ellie is in a crate, but I'm very unhappy about it happening, and don't know if/how we can fix it. Of course, dh is gone for weeks....
Old 11-11-2015, 01:38 PM   #10  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

I had a great time after the conference was over (conference was from 8 am to 7 pm (!!!) for 2 days, then 8 am to 12:30 pm on the 3rd). The weather was a balmy 70F and sunny every day, and I walked for miles and miles around the city with DH. The city is beautiful, with terrific urban planning to minimize traffic congestion: scattered parks, museums and concert/performance venues distributed evenly around the city, dedicated bicycle lanes everywhere and underground parking structures. The subways come every 3 minutes, even on weekends, and there is a lovely and well-preserved "gothic" quarter where the stone buildings and alleys have been in constant use for over 4 centuries.

As usual, DH and I enjoyed this stress-free time very much, and with the exception of a few short-lived disagreements, felt carefree and relaxed. It is amazing how stressful it is to be a parent and juggle the never-ending multiplicity of demands on your time.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 03:34 AM   #11  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Glad you enjoyed Barcelona, Andrea. It's a very interesting place. I lived in the Barri Gotic for a while, quite a shady place before the city was cleaned up so dramatically for the Olympics.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 06:37 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
Glad you enjoyed Barcelona, Andrea. It's a very interesting place. I lived in the Barri Gotic for a while, quite a shady place before the city was cleaned up so dramatically for the Olympics.
Wow! I envy you living in Europe. I think it'd be such a different experience from life in North America. I'm still hoping to someday visit a city in Europe.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 10:22 AM   #13  

Andrea-- yes, the joys and stressed of parenting. Glad you enjoyed your time there. It sounds amazing. Dh and my life is much calmer now that the girls are (mostly) out of the house.