Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-19-2015, 06:34 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Cat urine is a very difficult scent to remove. Mudpie went on the carpet in my office. I soaked it with Nature's Miracle - both kinds (there is a special one for cats which seems to be the same as the general one) - and then I had to send it out and get it professionally cleaned. There are people who do upholstery cleaning in home - one here is http://cleanol.com/wp/residential-se...tery-cleaning/ - and maybe one of them can save the couch.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:37 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

The cat does apparently have a medical issue. The vet said his bladder was extremely inflamed. A very sweet, laid back cat, he went ballistic when they barely touched his bladder area. He got very stressed recently when there were extreme thunderstorms so he may have not peed during that time. He is on pain meds and a cat food that is supposed to calm his anxiety. Didn't know they made such foods! Maybe Ellie can get the dog version.... She is going to get a new couch. She and we can't deal with the possibility of him repeating this. The couch isn't worth saving... It is her couch from college and hasn't been in great shape for awhile. She wanted to replace it last summer... Now she has more impetus to do so...
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 12:11 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Michele, so glad you suggested taking the cat to the vet. Many cats are brought to the animal shelter because of peeing issues and a majority of them are found to have medical issues. People often give up on cats too early, IMHO.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 01:28 PM   #19  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I am so slow to catch up on some news. Only in the past few days did I discover why my Diet Pepsi tastes so awful. (I thought I'd bought bad batches that spoiled from sitting outside the store in the sun ... or something.) It's because Pepsi has switched out aspartame for sucralose.

I used to drink about two cans of Diet Pepsi each day at work, bringing them from home in a cooler. I've been an unapologetic soda drinker.

Apparently my taste buds have been trained to prefer the old mouth feel and the slightly chemical after-taste, and I have been unable to retrain them, despite all the sales on Diet Pepsi.

This FINALLY may be the impetus for me to switch over to seltzer.

Last edited by saef; 09-19-2015 at 01:29 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:23 PM   #20  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I'm happy that Pepsi has switched. I can't drink aspartame regularly, only now and then, because it gives me heart palpitations. I've tested this empirically.

Whatever happened to good old saccharin?
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 06:37 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
I'm happy that Pepsi has switched. I can't drink aspartame regularly, only now and then, because it gives me heart palpitations. I've tested this empirically.

Whatever happened to good old saccharin?
Didn't saccharin get tarred with the "causes cancer in rats" brush? I can't remember if the science behind that claim was valid or not.

Any carbonated drink will eat away at your tooth enamel - they all contain carbolic acid to help maintain the fizz and bubbling. I did a lot of damage to my teeth with all the diet cola I swilled years ago. I was drinking over 2 litres per day - that is a huge quantity.

I am down to one Monster energy drink per day. For me that's a great improvement.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 01:55 PM   #22  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Lucky me; I've hated everything fizzy since I was a child.

I had a cat for 16 years who developed chronic bladder issues after age 14. Her last 2 years, she mostly lived in a large cat crate (the kind with 2 platforms for jumping up on and sleeping) with a litterbox in one corner. By then, she was quite sedentary and it seemed to suit her. I have had 2 other (shelter/stray) cats for shorter periods, both of whom had urination issues. While it was from recurring bladder infections in one of them, the cause really doesn't matter when it keeps happening and you can't stop it. Both of those cats were given back to shelters. DH won't let me try adopting any more :>(
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 02:15 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Ringo has had bladder issues twice. I think it's stress induced. The medication he is on is used by people for PTSD! One of it's side effects is relaxation of the sphincter so he can void easier. I knew he hadn't been drinking enough and we finally solved that issue by placing glasses of water throughout the house.

I gave up diet Pepsi about 10 years ago--about the same time I joined here. If I can't get water somewhere, I'll take a sprite. I like plain club soda, too. And San Pellegrino. Fizzy still entices me.

Yesterday morning DS was packing his car to move back to college. We assumed he'd just go, but he had other ideas. He decided we needed to help him because it wouldn't all fit in his car. (It would have very easily fit.) But he didn't want to go alone. I drove with him and DH followed. We drove to the Irvine Spectrum and had a late lunch and then went to his new apartment and helped carry boxes up to it. None of his roommates were there. He wanted DH to help build the bunkbed they'd bought the day before, but it was getting late and we wanted to head home. He said to me in the car on the way there that he didn't really want to go back to school--he'd rather stay with us. It was touching.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote