Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 10-20-2014, 06:18 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat October 20 - October 26

It's time to decide what we'll be for Halloween. I'm still looking for a long, elegant, black cape. Unfortunately, I only think of it a couple of weeks before Halloween when those-who-plan-ahead have already scoured the markets.

Snacking is my issue at moment. I need a magic potion to make me less interested in mid-afternoon nibbles.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:48 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Bill Try eBay for the cape. I was going to be a Viking this year but things got so crazy I'll be lucky to get the decorations up. I went, as always it seems, from not enough work to too much in the space of a week. Good to be economically better off though so no more whining from me.

Both Trixie and Nattie will be taking a pass on the festivities, remaining quietly and safely at the back of the house in the living room. DH and I will sit outside and deliver the goodies to whoever dares come up the steps. I am a SCARY decorator - no happy pumpkins or gnomes for me.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 09:31 AM   #3  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Good morning! I will be in and out sporadically this week as work is suddenly quite busy. Just wanted to check in and say hi!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:38 AM   #4  
Workin' It

I'm trying to make headway on my inbox on the first day back at work after two weeks on vacation. I've NEVER taken two weeks of vacation at one time. I want to be back on vacation.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:05 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I'd like to be on vacation as well!

I do have a short trip planned for mid-November to fly to SLC to celebrate birthdays. We'll leave Friday and return Sunday, so not a "real" vacation.

And that trip means I'll miss Bogey's fifth of five training sessions. I've enrolled him in a "Reactionary Rover" class to try to get through his anxiety when he sees other dogs while we are on walks. I hope the class helps. I went to the first one yesterday (no dogs on the first class). So he'll get three before it is over. Wish us luck!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:57 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Allison What kind of equipment do you use to walk Bogey? I'm staying with two very reactive dogs whose owner finally admitted they were very reactive. She walks them with harnesses but left them in her truck this time and took the truck to her mechanic for the week. I put gentle leaders on them today and they were remarkably well behaved. The female "hates black dogs" yet I was able to walk her with a black standard poodle no problem.

Of course my attitude helps too. I really don't like harnesses as they are designed for pulling and offer little control over the walk. The gentle leader or halti puts ME in control and my increased confidence is felt by the dogs.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:03 PM   #7  

Bogey didn't like the gentle leader. Since I had trained him with the electric collar, I still use that when we walk (although now with this new training I cannot use it as it is against their policy). Basically the electric collar is on him, but rarely gets used--it's more of an insurance policy now. So he just wears his rolled leather collar with his 6' leash. I tried the gentle leader on Misty, too, and she dug her feet in and refused to move with it on!

I agree, I don't like harnesses, however this dog training school does use them--but ONLY the kind that attach in front so the dog really can't use the harness to pull you.

This school is the same one I took him to for basic obedience. It uses Victoria Stillwell's Positively method (reward the good only). When he was in basic obedience, I recognized that he needed a little bad with the good--especially to get him over the "cats are to chase" phase. It was amazing what the electric collar did to him--an immediate correction when he paid too much attention to the cats. Now we all live in relative harmony (the black cat remembers too much and growls at him still and that stirs his curiosity too much--long story).
Old 10-20-2014, 07:42 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Hi folks. I don't think I'll be doing anything for Halloween this year, but I celebrate vicariously by helping DD costume. I helped her dye her long honey blond hair black (!) which is something she's always wanted to do anyway. She has already attended a party as a vampire and intends to dress up as Morticia for another. After a few weeks, I think she'll be ready to start to transition back to her natural color. I'll use a stylist for that. They might recommend stages, with a stop off at red (which DD would love).

Clocking in at 137.8 this morning.

Last edited by yoyoma; 10-20-2014 at 07:43 PM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:49 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Dagmar....is the dog with you now? How's she doing?

Time to get serious on my weight. Again. Sigh. And I'm sick. Yuck.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:27 AM   #10  

Height: 5'7"

I loved the gentle leader for my Golden, who died two years ago. Amazing that two years has passed and we still miss him!

I don't usually dress up for Halloween but you all are inspiring me! Some teachers do at my school, but most don't. Oh wait, that is homecoming week so on that Friday we all wear school colors. Then I have to chaperone homecoming dance on Saturday. Luckily they never assign me to watch the dance floor, to break up the ones who are dancing obscenely, because I was so shocked the first time I had to do it.
CalCounter1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:28 AM   #11  
Workin' It

We moved into a new office right before I went on vacation, so came back to new office building. Today the building management brought us in a box of pastries from Panera as a welcome breakfast. Bah.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:12 AM   #12  

Too funny, Sharon! We dress up at my school. The "teams" coordinate their costumes together. Since I don't fit a particular team, I do my own. Last year I was the library dragon-- think it will be a repeat this year.

Still feeling lousy. Wish I could take a day off and sleep. But I can't really sleep anyway-- cough, cough, cough...

Just walk away, Shannon..... the Panera by me has the calorie counts listed next to each baked good. It sure helps me with my temptations. Of course, there were no calorie counts listed at the coffee shops we found in Monterey with all the yummy sweets.

My weight is down a pound from my scary weight yesterday but still over my redline. I think I'm going to start using Friday as my official weigh in days and will update my ticker then.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:57 PM   #13  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

Just popping in to say that the gentle leader has been a miracle for us! Why did I wait 3 years to try it?!?
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:49 PM   #14  

My son loves Panera and goes often enough that I give him gift cards for Christmas. But when I've gone I always try to keep in low in calories and that means a half sized sandwich which isn't nearly filling enough.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:48 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
My son loves Panera and goes often enough that I give him gift cards for Christmas. But when I've gone I always try to keep in low in calories and that means a half sized sandwich which isn't nearly filling enough.
I always get the You pick two-- and pick a half of the Thai Chicken Salad and one of the lower calorie soups-- it keeps it within reason and fills me up-- I don't get a side (bread) and I ignore the sweets.