Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 04-22-2014, 08:58 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Oh, Dagmar, I'm so very sorry to hear about Mishka. Renal failure is horrible (that's what Chico had that made us put him down--not his cancer). Hugs to you.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:19 PM   #17  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Dagmar, you helped him have a happy life and an easy death. How fortunate he was. Thank you for your efforts.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:55 AM   #18  

Height: 5'7"

Dagmar, hugs to you. So sorry. It's so sad.
CalCounter1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:10 AM   #19  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Dagmar. It sounds like he had a wonderful life with you.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:45 AM   #20  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Oh, Dagmar, I am so sorry about Mishka. You had a scare recently with Mudpie, but I didn't know Mishka was in poor health, too. Please accept my condolences, though I'm at a loss for the usual consoling words, because you know animals so well, and have given so much thought to the human-animal relationship and how we live together and bond with them. All I can speak to is the pain, the absence in the house and how seeing a water dish can put us under for an hour afterward. I hope you find some consolation with your dog-walking.

I just heard myself about a good friend's wife diagnosed with lung cancer. She's already on an oxygen tank with damaged lungs. This doesn't look good. I have been so caught up in work, I let our correspondence in email & my occasional visits lapse. He's rightly giving me grief for this, letting me know he's felt abandoned. I must visit and make what amends I can. She is so frail, I am not sure she'll survive the course of radiation that they've chosen. But I think they have to fight back, in some way, so that's their choice. I know at this point it feels like there is no choice, so to choose anyway is an act of defiance.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:52 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post

I just heard myself about a good friend's wife diagnosed with lung cancer. She's already on an oxygen tank with damaged lungs. This doesn't look good. I have been so caught up in work, I let our correspondence in email & my occasional visits lapse. He's rightly giving me grief for this, letting me know he's felt abandoned. I must visit and make what amends I can. She is so frail, I am not sure she'll survive the course of radiation that they've chosen. But I think they have to fight back, in some way, so that's their choice. I know at this point it feels like there is no choice, so to choose anyway is an act of defiance.
Life is about balance. I think we all find it hard to balance work with our personal lives. We are supposed to be available 24/7 for work, find time for our hobbies, pets, friends, do our diligence re diet and exercise, keep all those plates spinning.

I think everyone here is to be commended for keeping most of their various plates in the air. You will do what you can in this situation saef even though you yourself are already so over-extended. Don't feel guilty here.
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:57 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Default Mishka

Thank you all for your kind words re Mishka (Mishi). He was the complete opposite of Mudpie. His talent in life was to provide quiet loving companionship (with a lot of squawking thrown in if his dinner was late ) and he excelled at that. I will miss him for a long time to come. Sweet little guy is at peace now.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:16 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
Thank you all for your kind words re Mishka (Mishi). He was the complete opposite of Mudpie. His talent in life was to provide quiet loving companionship (with a lot of squawking thrown in if his dinner was late ) and he excelled at that. I will miss him for a long time to come. Sweet little guy is at peace now.

Dagmar
Hugs to you Dagmar. I'm so very sorry. I'm glad a vet came to your house. I've never had one do that and it would make the pet so much more comfortable to be in their own surroundings.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:30 AM   #24  
Workin' It

I'm so sorry about Mishka, Dagmar.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:07 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Sorry to hear about Mishka, nay he RIP
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:13 AM   #26  
Workin' It

So I can't do math, apparently. When I get the rest of the tiles in the patio is going to look fantastic.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:18 AM   #27  

Haha!! That is going to look great!!! Your yard is beautiful.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:04 AM   #28  

All the baby birds are gone! Two were gone yesterday morning and the other two are gone today. I tried to attach the only picture that I got where you can actually see the birds. Such a relief to not have to guard the nest from the dogs today!

On Wednesday my DH was crashed into on the way to work. He is okay just very sore today. The ins company says the car is totaled. Not exactly what we were planning on but what can you do. We have two older cars 2004,2005. We were planning on driving the one that was hit, 2005, until it died which would be another 100k and replacing my car in the next year when DD is done with college. So the plans change! I get my car early! Fun to drive but no so fun that we will have payments. We don't usually ever finance a car. Waiting to here how much ins co is saying the car is worth. I've been wanting a Prius for a long time so I'm pretty sure that's what we will get. DH said he felt so sorry for the guy that hit him. He was really polite and apologetic and is also a teacher. Said he wasn't paying attention and didn't see the car. He had a 2013 car that was also totaled. Just a sad day for us and him but at least no one was seriously hurt. I am making my DH go to doctor today just in case he has any neck issues.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (33.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 04-25-2014, 08:11 AM   #29  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Dagmar, sorry about Mishka.

CalCounter, glad your DH is okay! Hope you can get a car you like. I have been off and on thinking about cars since ours are pretty old. I've been driving DH's 2001 Civic to and from work, and he takes the girls around in my 2006 Forester. We are planning to drive both until they die. I have a feeling we will end up replacing the Civic with a minivan.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:18 AM   #30  
Workin' It

I'm glad that DH is okay, CalCounter!