Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 10:19 AM   #226  
Workin' It

How old is your MIL, Michele?

Right there with you guys, Dagmar and Becky.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:39 AM   #227  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

As much as I'd like to do morning walks, my schedule really prevents it. I get up at 4:50 and leave for work at 6:30. Yes, I could get up earlier, but I did this with Chico for a year or so and went running with him in the dark and after a while I decided it was too dark and too scary. While that may seem like a long time to get ready for work I don't like to have to rush in the morning. It stresses me out and makes the rest of my day horrible. This schedule allows me to feed the animals, drink my coffee, get my shower done and read the paper and a little stuff on the internet before the final few minutes to make sure the cats are situated and the dishwasher is running.

Sorry to hear about your MIL. Is she on any medications that might cause this? I didn't call my dad this weekend and now I don't really want to. I've decided that when I call him and he has nothing to say he complains about everything. When he calls me, it is usually because he has something to tell me and the conversation is nice. My sister called him Monday and said he complained about everything and claims my SIL took his hearing aids and two pair of scissors because she wants him to look incompetent so he'll go to assisted living. We know the fact is that he has misplaced these items and refuses to believe he did it. He's done it on so many occasions and when items are found he tells the story once and then forgets about it (we think so he doesn't look foolish). Did I tell you about his gun? He claimed the housekeeper stole it a year or so before my Mom died. I was relieved. No 93 year old man who can barely walk would be able to fend off a burglar with a gun. Anyway, he found it the other day. It had fallen out from under his pillow (yes, he slept with it) and it lodged between the bedframe and the wall. It sat there for YEARS. How he happened upon it I'll never know and don't care to know. I wish it had been stolen.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:49 AM   #228  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
How old is your MIL, Michele?

Right there with you guys, Dagmar and Becky.
She is 73. Years of alcohol abuse and prescription pain meds (she takes Vicodin like candy), have left her brain addled. Not to mention the possibility of Alzheimers but who can tell? We just know she doesn't make much sense and FIL (75 but still working full time) doesn't want to face reality.

Sorry your dad found his gun, Allison. My mom had one (she was a violent bipolar person and had no business with a gun-- she shot a hole in the stainless steel sink once with a blank bullet!). As soon as she died, we turned the gun into the local police station. I didn't want any part of it.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:39 AM   #229  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Sending supportive thoughts for all the stressful situations and CHEERS for yelling into the wind to let it out.

I join you in buckling down for the next duration.

The good news is that I wore a size medium T-shirt to the gym today for the first time in many months - a good sign that progress is happening. I did notice that I had some spare tire flopping up and down with vertical movements, though. I hate weight that accumulates around the middle.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:31 PM   #230  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Michele, thanks for the positive thoughts. I'll send some back your way regarding MIL and remember that her situation could be my future reality - it IS about choices and tending ourselves properly and consistently.

Shannon - Carpe diem; let's control what we should and let go of the rest!

Allison, anything that starts with 4 sounds way too early a time to get up. I understand about not wanting to call your dad; it must be incredibly hard to have to deal with aging parents. Cripes, I don't even deal well with my own aging!

Bill, congrats on the medium! And oh boy, can I relate to soft spots bouncing up and down. For me, it's feeling my butt bouncing off the top of my legs when I start running after a long layoff ... ack! Remains to be seen whether the swimming was able to keep that at bay all winter. It might be nice enough to go for an outdoor scamper this weekend for the first time of the year.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:29 PM   #231  

Whew! I just barely escaped a very difficult food situation! We just had our tea for our parent volunteers. Imagine 100 staff members making amazing home baked goods and then putting it all on your desk! There weren't nearly as many volunteers this year that showed up as normal.... so baked goodies galore. I was sooooooo tempted. When I helped clean up, even more so.... But, my will power stayed intact. Just barely. The thought of my upcoming cruise kept me in check. Now to make it away from school without succumbing to all of the leftovers in the break room...

Allison-- I'm like you about my morning time. I get up at 5 (sometimes a tad earlier as I start waking up). I take care of the animals until about 5:30, eat my breakfast and watch news until 6, get ready for work and pack my lunch and leave shortly after 6:30. I don't like to be rushed in the morning so I much prefer the leisurely pace. I'm just hoping I can sleep in on the cruise as I don't usually have much success doing so. It drives dh crazy.

Speaking of dh-- he comes back tomorrow from China. Just in time to get ready for our cruise! I hope he doesn't come home sick or too jet lagged. I had a student sneeze in my face today-- it was like the cartoon in slow motion-- I was like-- NOOOOOOO......... hopefully he wasn't contagious. That's all I need.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:04 AM   #232  
Recovering Pantry Pest

Yesterday was better than the day before. Today will be better than yesterday. Success for today will hinge on *not* sitting down in the living room until certain tasks are checked off the list. And pretending that the door to the freezer is covered in spiders (my God, have any of you tried the new Ben and Jerry's Core series??? Don't!).
Old 04-10-2014, 09:32 AM   #233  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Becky I didn't even Google the ice cream - we now go for a long walk to and from the ice cream shop once a week to get a cone in summer. We do have a new freezer now but I'm not stocking it with IC - - that's what mostly led to my 22 lb. menopausal gain in 2006.

Dagmar
Old 04-10-2014, 09:44 AM   #234  
Workin' It

Dagmar, I know what that ice cream is, and I've found myself looking for it more than once in the last few weeks and have been unable to find it. I'm going to call that a good thing.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:14 AM   #235  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUwishing View Post
Yesterday was better than the day before. Today will be better than yesterday. Success for today will hinge on *not* sitting down in the living room until certain tasks are checked off the list. And pretending that the door to the freezer is covered in spiders (my God, have any of you tried the new Ben and Jerry's Core series??? Don't!).
Every day is better for me as well although my weight doesn't show it.

Core series? Can't say that sounds good. But Hagen Daaz Gelato in Black Forest Amaretto is to die for. Seriously.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:35 AM   #236  

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
Every day is better for me as well although my weight doesn't show it.

Core series? Can't say that sounds good. But Hagen Daaz Gelato in Black Forest Amaretto is to die for. Seriously.
Maybe it means it is good for your core!
Don't I wish.... I'm staying far away from that whole aisle in the store.

My weight was up almost 2 pounds today from yesterday which really ticks me off. I guess smelling the cookies and brownies caused a gain. Sigh. I leave tomorrow night on the red eye and I'm hoping my weight is as low as possible before I go.

Crossing my fingers that dh's plane gets in on time safely and he is feeling okay.

I was hearing that Princess has a ship with norovirus. I had to google the name of our ship but it isn't my ship. I'm pretty sure we've sailed on the "sick" one before though.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:03 AM   #237  
Recovering Pantry Pest

The Core series is pints of ice cream that have these center cores of naughtiness in the middle of the already-decadent ice creams - things like raspberry jam, Nutella, dark chocolate ganache, or caramel. No, not good for your core at all! My only hope with this stuff is to only open a pint when in the presence of DH and DS - I can take my recommended small serving, and they will fall on the rest of it. Allison ... oh, gosh, I can ignore all sorts of ice milks and low-fat imposters, but now and then I just have to have the super-premiums. It doesn't take a lot, and I don't do it often (any longer). When I want the REAL thing, I make my own. Last year I was working on cinnamon.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:20 AM   #238  
Workin' It

Sigh. I ate a biscuit for breakfast. And it wasn't even very good. I knew better, and stopped and bought it and everything. I don't understand why I keep doing this. Bah.

In good news, my sofa I ordered at the end of December is finally delivering. Or rather, a sofa is delivering. It isn't the one I ordered - after 8 weeks of waiting they said that it would be four more weeks, PROMISE. At the end of the 12 weeks they told me that the company that the sofa was coming from just wasn't making the order. So. They found a different one for me from another vendor at a nice discount, it got picked up last week, is delivering today. I'm very hopeful that I'm going to like replacement sofa, and that it comes today with no problems.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:58 AM   #239  

Oh, I'd be ticked if I ordered something and it wasn't produced as promised! I do hope the replacement is to your liking, Shannon.

So Bogey did a bad thing today. My assistant comes in every morning and gives the dogs apple slices. They love them. Well, she puts her bag down and goes in to take care of cat chores. I hear a rustling. Bogey has found the sack with her bagel in it. He manages to get half in his mouth and runs off. He didn't get to eat it as I removed it from his mouth, but really Bogey? That was her breakfast! I think she learned a lesson--don't put food down on the floor when there are dogs around! She had it in an insulated reusable grocery bag--along with a bag of popped popcorn. Obvious smells that the dog was alerted to--especially when they know apples are in there, too!
Old 04-10-2014, 12:01 PM   #240  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Hi all,

Michele: have a great time on the cruise! Weight be darned, you deserve this vacation so don't let a number take away from your enjoyment.

My renewed commitment to weight loss over the past few months hit a solid wall over the past week. I found myself reaching for carbs and sweets, not even because I wanted them, but because my anger and frustration with my job (and yesterday my fiance) made it feel like a rational thing to do. I've been here before. Gained two pounds over the past week, from my recent low. It sure comes back easily.

I started a new night-time boot camp last week thanks to a Groupon that went out, but I've only been to 3 out of 6 sessions so far. Last night I ditched yet again. Instead I farted around on the interwebs and ate pretzels. On the plus side, I caught up on 3FC action and read the maintainer's chats: CherryPie/Jen - I saw those pictures of the chicks on your dogs and on your CAT! I was laying on the sofa laughing. It was the best part of my day.
Closed Thread