Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-07-2014, 01:08 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
What the heck is dog steroid rage?
Just like people who take too many steroids, some dogs can develop it where they suddenly snap and do something uncharacteristic. I don't think he will do anything bad (like attack a cat--I think they're too quick for him) but he said to keep my eye open. This morning as he was getting his drip there was a fly buzzing around. He snapped at it a few times (I tried to swat it it but it was too fast). Those things always bother him though.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:36 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
Just like people who take too many steroids, some dogs can develop it where they suddenly snap and do something uncharacteristic. I don't think he will do anything bad (like attack a cat--I think they're too quick for him) but he said to keep my eye open. This morning as he was getting his drip there was a fly buzzing around. He snapped at it a few times (I tried to swat it it but it was too fast). Those things always bother him though.
I don't think you need to worry! I worked for vets for 15 years and I never saw a dog with roid rage.

Glad he's feeling better.

My poor baby isn't according to dd. She is sleeping on the couch (and shaking)-- she isn't allowed on that couch (but today of course!)-- Dewey apparently ran upstairs and barked at dd to wake her up to tell her all about the happenings downstairs.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:41 PM   #33  

Quote:
My poor baby isn't according to dd. She is sleeping on the couch (and shaking)-- she isn't allowed on that couch (but today of course!)-- Dewey apparently ran upstairs and barked at dd to wake her up to tell her all about the happenings downstairs.
Oh, I'm sorry!
Old 01-07-2014, 03:32 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

I cannot believe how bad we are getting lake effect snow here. Work FINALLY let us out about 1:20 PM today - it is - BY FAR - the most scared I have ever been driving home. At one point I literally could see nothing but white, and I almost started to cry because I couldn't stop but had no idea if I was even on the road.

They have pulled plows off the road, they have opened shelters for stranded motorists, it is insane here.

This is what it looks like out my door and we are actually well north of the worst stuff.

And it's 7 degrees out - wind chill makes it well below that...

Allison and Michelle, I am thinking about your poor babies. Allison, I had a dog on steroids, and he didn't get the rage but acted extremely weird - almost senile (and he was very young) and wouldn't listen to commands - looked right at me and defied what I had told him. Something to watch for. As soon as he came off the steroids, he was fine.

saef - My jaw actually DROPPED when I heard what your MD said to you. What a supreme a$$hole. Time to find a new doc and let him know why you left him!!

Hope everyone is keeping warm and safe.
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:54 PM   #35  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

michele, hope Jozi will be okay

Jen, THANK GOODNESS you got home in one piece. That sounds so scary.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:43 PM   #36  

Jen-- thank goodness you made it home. I've driven in scary weather where I couldn't really see the roads but was afraid to pull over too!

Jozi isn't doing well. I'm going to have to figure out how to hoist her into the car and take her to the vet I'm afraid....
Old 01-07-2014, 04:47 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

When we used to visit DH's relatives in London Ontario regularly we never knew what we would be driving through. Usually on Christmas Day evening coming back it would be snowing. Once it was so bad it was like driving in a tunnel of white swirling flakes - on the highway. No visibility in any direction and no signs of what was around us. And nowhere to pull off that was open or would be of assistance. I was so scared my butt muscles were cramping up (from clenching) by the time DH got us into Toronto.

Winter is NOT fun in North America.

I got through today by doing everything very slowly and methodically. Got into a kind of rhythm prepping to get out of the car for the walks, checking that I had all my gear on properly and that the dogs were ready. Ditto getting back into the car and checking the dogs to make sure there was no bleeding from anywhere on anyone's paws, ears, noses, etc.

I am going to sleep like a stone tonite I think.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:32 PM   #38  

Michele~I'm so worried for you about Jozie! I belong to a Labrador chat board and one of the members there had her Lab acting weird for a couple days (not eating, restless, etc.) and they took him into the vet where he promptly got a nosebleed. They did an x-ray and found him full of lung tumors. So sad for their family. I hope Jozie will be okay. Let us know.

Meanwhile I haven't called my Dad because I didn't want to alarm him. Now I don't know what to do.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:42 PM   #39  

My sister just emailed me.

It is reflux esophogitis (probably from throwing up) and a hiatal hernia and they drained her left lung of a lot of fluid. She feels much better and hopes to get to go home soon.

Relief!
Old 01-07-2014, 05:59 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
My sister just emailed me.

It is reflux esophogitis (probably from throwing up) and a hiatal hernia and they drained her left lung of a lot of fluid. She feels much better and hopes to get to go home soon.

Relief!
I'm very happy for you and your sister Allison.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:43 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Finally some good news!!!

Hey, for fun, take a look at how stressed out my boy Chakotay is about this weather....

CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:53 PM   #42  

Glad your sister will be okay Allison!

Back from the vet with Jozi (and Dewey along for the ride!)

The vet thought it was her lower back that's hurting. Of course she perked up somewhat at the vet. He gave her a pain shot and pain pills. We got her to eat some rice and cottage cheese when we got home and now she's sleeping soundly. Hopefully the worst is over.

And I missed working out. First time this year. But Jozi was more important!

Last edited by traveling michele; 01-07-2014 at 09:54 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:54 AM   #43  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Allison, glad to hear your sister has a much better prognosis than thought! It's always a tossup to figure out when and who to call when events like that happen. Now you have details and good news!

Michele, I hope poor Jozi finds some quick healing! Back pain is a bear, no matter who you are.

Jen, Chakotay looks like a terribly spoiled, happy fella.

Dagmar, I was thinking about you out in the cold with the furry ones yesterday. Agree, winter is not fun. Some winters more so than others, and this already qualifies for "not fun" in my book. However, there is still a benchmark left to beat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezBZd4OQOXg

School's out AGAIN. Meaning no access to the pool, again. Our coach is sending comforting emails about being safe, and two weeks of rest not causing all that much backsliding (and for those who really push it - a welcome respite!). Still ... I want to get wet!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:25 AM   #44  

Becky-- that's good that your itching to get back to the pool! Hopefully you all will be more back to normal tomorrow.

Jozi seemed a good deal better this morning and she ate breakfast. Hopefully the worst is behind us.

My dd won't be home with Jozi today as she is coming to my school to observe two classes. She is a speech pathology major but is debating changing her major to education. I chose two younger teachers for her to observe as I think she'll relate to them more than she would an old fogey like me!
Old 01-08-2014, 11:39 AM   #45  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Jen, oh thank goodness you got home okay despite the whiteout driving conditions. When they pull the plows off the road because they might be stranded, too, it's like they're giving up & just hunkering down & waiting for it to pass. At least you're safe and warm, with your husband and the animals, and you've got access to indoor exercise equipment if you need to burn off the anxiety and nervous energy.

I'm relieved to hear that Jozie has perked up and eaten, as she and Chico are like honorary 3FC members, and I have a better picture in my mind of them than anyone's husband or wife.

I'm doing some year-end reviews in my office today and shivering, because I walked out in 9 degree temperatures wearing slide heels in my bare feet, but with a fur coat on up top. Well now of course the coat is hung up but I'm still walking around in a chilly office with exposed heels. I'm hearing it will warm up over the weekend, which feels insane, as we've gone from 50 to 7 and will be up to 40s again. Is every winter like this, but I just don't remember that it is, the way people forget the experience of pain?
saef is offline   Reply With Quote