Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 10-22-2013, 05:55 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
Lyle Lovett and John Hiatt are coming to TO in February - I LOVE these guys together - like sittin' in the kitchen with a couple of old friends, sippin' on the bourbon and shootin' the sh*t.

Going to take time out from my packing and worrying about plumbing chores to see if I can snag myself a ticket. DH does NOT like either performer so I go alone. I've seen Lyle 5 times and I like him more each time. I don't have any great interest in country music except for him.

And Massey Hall is one of the best acoustic venues in North America. This will be a real treat! I need something like this right now!

Dagmar
I was once in an elevator with Lyle Lovett! We exchanged a few words!!
I've never heard of the other guy-- good luck getting tickets!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:19 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Michele http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hiatt

He is well-known but not hugely successful as a performer - more someone who writes songs that become hits for others. He's another storyteller so he and Lyle do a lot of chatting in between songs.

I find Lyle Lovett to be (weirdly) sexy in a very "gentlemanly" way. John Hiatt not so much.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:27 AM   #18  
Chuggin' along...

Morning all,

We went straight from a little bit of cooler weather into fall. I actually needed a fleece pullover to walk the dog this AM. I love comfy cozy clothes. After I thought about it while posting yesterday AM, I sat on my yoga ball as an office chair for several hours, did some abs with it during my lunch break, even went on a short walk at lunch and then took the dog for a long walk at home. And ate mindfully yesterday. Pat on back. See, I can keep it together. I have no time for exercise today but should be moving around somewhat for work and I've packed a healthy lunch, snacks, and dinner, since I don't have time to go home later. I might have 30 minutes so I brought my sneakers so I can walk then. I also remembered that TOM is on its way. No wonder I want to eat the house and feel poofy. (Sorry, Bill. It's the truth.)

Dagmar, that sounds like a fun concert and the perfect diversion for you right now. Do you have to get tickets in person or can you order them online? When would the show be? Hope you get a ticket!

Allison, I hope your new glasses help you see better up close. Is it that your "close" vision eye needs a new/different prescription?

It's that time again. Halloween is coming! I never get trick or treaters at my house, so I don't need to bring home any candy. That alone helps me stay away from the treats, so if I have one or two at work, it's not a huge deal. Is anyone else facing any big sugar bomb obstacles for Halloween? Of course US Thanksgiving the holiday slew are soon to follow... are my fellow maintainers starting to think about these things now or are they still in the back of your minds?
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:01 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Allison, I hope your new glasses help you see better up close. Is it that your "close" vision eye needs a new/different prescription?
Last spring I noticed my distance vision was horrible. I went to the optometrist and got new contacts and now my distance vision is wonderful but I found I really needed reading glasses to see anything close (including the computer). I really wanted bifocal contacts but no one (apparently) makes a soft bifocal contact for people with astigmatism. So he fit me with mono vision lenses (left far, right close). It's been a week now and I feel at times I still grab my reading glasses. Obviously it isn't working. I don't really want to wear glasses (the bifocal glasses are for my mornings when I first wake up). The way I feel is that my dominant eye (left) really wants to be dominant on everything and it's just not working right.

Meanwhile we're getting more and more busy at work and now my DH wants me to start quoting jobs. Ugh. I don't feel qualified to do that.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:03 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Megan,
I've been thinking about the upcoming holidays/ food obstacles. I started the year with my weight higher than I wanted and I've battled it all year. I'm only slightly under where I was then and I fear the holidays could easily put me even higher. This is the time to buckle down before the you know what hits the fan.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:07 AM   #21  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post
This is the time to buckle down before the you know what hits the fan.

Blancmange is what we say in this household. YMMV.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:23 AM   #22  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post
This is the time to buckle down before the you know what hits the fan.

Blancmange is what we say in this household. YMMV.
"Blancmange" sounds so much better than "vanilla pudding." The French know how to do language.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:46 AM   #23  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Pink blancmange (not white) is what many, many British schoolchildren had as the pudding part of school dinners during the 60s, 70s and maybe beyond. The name is French but the experience ... my dear, I cannot begin to explain the experience ...
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:02 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Fourth row centre floor ticket!!! Totally too awesome!!!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:32 AM   #25  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

dagmar!!!

Silver, now you have me thinking of the Pink Floyd song "We don't need no education". Are you implying that perhaps kids weren't eating their meat so that they could avoid the pudding?

allison, I've also gotten to the tipping point where there are certain near-vision things that I simply cannot do without glasses. My job happens to be one of them; I have a specialized pair that are single-vision and solely for the distance to my computer monitor. I feel for you!

megan - I'm impressed by your arrangement of your office space. Yes, you certainly CAN do this! Re the Halloween stuff - haven't we always had a thread here for the anti-Halloween candy pledge? I'm amazed at how fast the year is running out. It's like the calendar did a swing around the sun for accelerating out of the solar system.

Siding project appears to be under way again; I see a lot of replaced boards. Boy, I hope the paint covers as well as they think it will - the new boards are only primed. Given that it got below freezing last night, methinks they'd better get their buns in gear and finish this thing.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:33 AM   #26  

For the first time in a week my newspaper was delivered on time! Unfortunately it took me twice as long to read it as I attempted to focus on the words.

And what does it say about me that I'm eating a 100-calorie bag of popcorn for breakfast?
Old 10-24-2013, 11:24 AM   #27  

The ring (I brought it in to work to use a magnifier to see how many diamonds--I'm still not sure as they are very small).
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-24-2013, 01:30 PM   #28  
Chuggin' along...

Oooh, pretty Allison! We all eat popcorn for breakfast occasionally. Just like ice cream for dinner once in a blue moon is ok (actually, popcorn is fairly healthy and a lot better for you than ice cream).

Dagmar, great seats!!! When is the show!

Becky, I agree, time seems to be moving forward at warp speed. Where does it go?

Today I got my delivery of fresh Gulf white shrimp that came off the boat yesterday. We got a delivery at work because we know the captain. He's also my source for our local tupelo honey that he harvests in the spring, and will be delivering my yearly supply any day now. Mmm. I'm not sure if the shrimp will make it to the table tonight because I have rehearsal and need to walk the dog first, but it sounds like a great Friday dinner.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:38 PM   #29  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

"She's as sweet as Tupelo Honey ... just like honey from the bees ..."

I wasn't sure that this stuff existed in real life till I tasted Tupelo Honey from a tiny spoon in a shop in Charleston, SC that sold nothing but honey. I liked it, but didn't buy any.

I like the sound of the shrimp, too.

Basically, though, I'm just glad to read all your posts -- because when I tried to get on 3FC earlier this morning, I kept getting a message that the site didn't exist anymore or something. Maybe down for maintenance?
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:11 PM   #30  
Chuggin' along...

Oh no, Saef. We're here! I don't think I tried to log on this AM.

I never paid much attention to honey types until I moved here and everyone kept pushing this local tupelo stuff. Sure it was tasty... it wasn't until eating it for a few years and then trying something else that I realized I'd developed the ability to taste (and see) the difference in honey, at least between tupelo and other types. Tupelo is very light in color and taste, and is supposedly the lowest GI honey. Wildflower honey tastes different to me, though not bad, but I prefer tupelo now. I drink it in tea in the winter if my throat is scratchy and have a delicious honey garlic pork chop marinade we love. My former boss sweetened his coffee with tupelo honey instead of sugar. Since tupelo trees and endemic to this area in the southeast US it's definitely a regional specialty.