Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-31-2013, 11:14 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryPie99 View Post
What has been crushing for me is that when I was obese people used to say I had a "pretty face" - which I know is something that is commonly said to heavy people by well meaning people wanting to give a compliment. But I wanted to believe it was true for me and that I was really attractive under the fat.
I know the "pretty face" compliment may feel like a backhanded one, but it IS a compliment. Not every heavy girl gets told she has a pretty face, so don't assume that people just say that because they don't know how else to compliment a big girl.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:57 AM   #17  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

I still find it difficult, too, to convince myself I'm "normal" and not "fat". Perhaps it has to do with how long we were "fat" before? I was chubby since the age of 8-9, so the image of "fat" keeps sticking in my mind as being one feature that was always associated to me. If I had been overweight for "only" a couple of years, and reverted back to normal weight after that, I don't know if restoring a healthy self-image would've been easier, or not.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #18  
Formerly LittleMoonRabbit

S/C/G: 167/maintenance/120

Height: 5'2"

Having been overweight for almost my entire life, it has been a challenge. A lot of great advice here! I too, have struggled with seeing my body for what it really looks like now, as opposed to what it USED to look like. This happened just again yesterday. I needed to buy a nice dress for an upcoming fundraiser and ended up at a bridal shop. A consultant there picked out a dress that I would have never thought to try and it looked fabulous on me. I had on a size six and I was like "It fits perfect!" She came up behind me, grabbed the excess fabric behind my back and was like "No, you actually need a size four." Sure enough, the size four fit like a glove, even though I was convinced it would never zip.

One thing that I will say that has at least helped with the "being convinced I am beautiful" issue: If you haven't tried yoga, I highly recommend it. There is something very grounding that comes with increased body-consciousness. When I focus on what my body can do, and not just what it looks like, I feel particularly good about myself.
PlayingForKeeps is offline   Reply With Quote