Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-18-2012, 05:05 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

It will be President's Day in the good ol USA tomorrow.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:19 PM   #47  
Chuggin' along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
The best part of Friday is coming home, opening the door, and smelliing dinner almost cooked in the slow cooker. Next best is DH in the kitchen, making the salads to go with our chicken.
I agree, I love it when this happens!

My trip to the city yesterday was good for work, fun grocery shopping, and my gym experience w my friend was interesting. She txted me she had to work late and go home to change. By the time I met her there, and I got changed in the locker room, it was 6:40 and the circuit training offered ended at 7. There was no one doing the circuit so the trainer did give us 10 minutes and it seemed like it would be a good workout if we did it for a longer time, but I had thought she said her gym offered The BodyPump Class, so was a little disappointed. I got home laaate and was glad I had packed some chicken to have as a snack before a late dinner at home. I did go to the grocery store on my way out of town, but couldn't be trusted to buy something else to eat. I was so hungry I had to throw what was on my list in the cart and get the heck our of there! If we make this a regular thing with my monthly city trips for work, I've got to ask my friend to meet me directly after work so we can get to the gym earlier and actually get to do the circuit training, and pack a full day's food.

It was really strange being in a city gym! It's been about 5 years since I've been in a big (er, normal-sized?) gym, and I never worked out regularly in one. My college gym was fairly small. I admit I was a bit intimidated. It reminded me what a unique little niche I have where I am.

Today I went to the gym and started the New Rules of Lifting for Life program! I did it about 4 years ago and loved the strength results, but kept eating as I had been. I'm sure my body comp changed but I didn't lose weight. I've really fallen off of weight lifting lately and had a lot of reasons not to start again. One of them was that I have finally been able to lose some weight, and am worried if I start trying to build muscle I won't be able to lose any more (I mean I will have to eat more to build muscle, but by eating more I won't lose any more weight - I've had this trouble in the past). I know, I know, I know all of the things you will say in protest! But it felt SOOOOO good just to do a few darn squats and rows, I'm going to give it a whirl.

Hi Carolyn! Maybe if you've restarted your workouts, that will be enough to get rid of these 5 lbs, rather than changing your diet too. But you know your body better than I do. How have you been doing?

Fitmom, that is really scary. Thank goodness you caught it in time. Glad DH will be ok.

Dagmar, I've put spinach in smoothies, but never kale. I love kale as kale, but I wonder if it might be rather earthy in smoothie/juice form. Can you sub spinach? Good luck and enjoy your holiday!

Allison, I hope Ringo mends quickly. At least he's gotten the antibiotics in shot form. Has he eaten yet? Animals.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:33 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1982 View Post
Allison, I hope Ringo mends quickly. At least he's gotten the antibiotics in shot form. Has he eaten yet? Animals.
He was so much better this morning, he was even playing with toys which he hasn't done for months, so I'm thinking he's been feeling poorly for a long time. Makes me wonder if this is the reason he was "lashing out" at my in-laws (he's normally so nice to them and instead he'd swat and try to bite them). We'll see tomorrow when they come over. He's been eating, albeit not as much as normal, but I've decided NO dry food for a few weeks. It'll do two things--make him ingest more liquids (and yes, he did a good pee today) and hopefully decrease his weight. What I think was happening is that he'd eat a minimal amount of wet food, let Louie eat the rest, and then come back later and eat all the dry food (which he prefers). Louie couldn't care less about dry food, but he'll eat it if that's all there is. Ringo has been gaining weight and I can only blame the dry food. If need be, we'll discontinue dry food completely (the feral cats at the office will benefit from this as I have two new bags of good quality dry food).
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:47 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

fitmom-- that is scary! Glad dh will be okay.

Allison-- that is scary about Ringo. You do have to watch male kitties as they can get "plugged" and not be able to pee. It is life-threatening and requires surgery if it happens.

So, we found out dh didn't get the Atlanta job. He is pretty ticked off. He isn't sure who got it yet, but he is thinking it is pretty political. The "white guy" didn't have much of a choice against a woman, two black men, and another white man (IMHO-- hope I don't offend anyone but that is the way his company works some times). Now we have to decide whether or not to pursue other options or just hang out with his current position. He also had a head hunter contact him so he is following up with that just in case.

I'm frustrated that my weight is still up. I've been quite good EXCEPT I've probably been eating too many red grapes-- I think I'm going to have to quit buying them!

I'm enjoying my four day weekend otherwise though. Tomorrow dh and I are going to a wine and chocolate tasting so I'll have to be careful about the rest of my meals/calories. I usually don't drink so dh will get most of my wine! Then I can be the designated driver coming home.

Dd (17) is babysitting all weekend for a little girl. She brought her over to our house for a visit and told us how hard it is to be a parent. I think it is a good lesson for her. She is exhausted (the little girl is 2.5). The little girl was at first afraid of our dachshund but warmed up to him. We had put the Great Dane outside because we figured he would scare her but she wanted her to come in-- she was so cute throwing the ball for Dewey!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:18 AM   #50  

Height: 5'6

Megan1982: I've been doing the NROL4W since September and love it. I'm almost onto stage 6 and I've been pleased with my results thus far. Not much visible muscle as that's not my genetics but tons of strength gains and definitely some body recomp. Good for you! Keep us posted.

Last edited by fitmom; 02-19-2012 at 09:45 AM.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:24 AM   #51  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sznn View Post
Hey Dagmar...what civic holiday do you have on Monday?
I think we are getting short changed here in BC
"Family Day". I didn't feel right taking it as a holiday the first two years we had it (I have no kids and there are a lot of events geared to them happening). This year I thought what the heck - it's just a name. I still need a holiday.

So I'm starting Dr. Oz's detox this morning. And, since I finished reading "O" mag's decluttering issue yesterday I'm going to spend today finally getting rid of all of the shoes and clothes I haven't worn in years.

I had this vision of DH and myself going out for the evening with me in a dress, heels, and makeup. It's been 16 years and we've done that about 2 times. We are jeans and teeshirts people.

I will keep 2 of the dresses as they are really beautiful. I will put them and the full kit on on Sunday nights and listen to music and sip tea while looking vaguely like Grace Kelly. And I will keep the black leather t-shirt dress. That one I have actually worn about once a year for the 5 years I've had it.

As I said in another thread I secretly am Steven Tyler when it comes to fashion.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #52  

S/C/G: 182/155/145

Enjoy your day off!

I guess they figure we can't afford to take a day off, since we are now living in the most expensive city in NA... http://blog.buzzbuzzhome.com/2012/02...sive-city.html
...sigh.
sznn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #53  
Chuggin' along...

Allison, glad to hear Ringo is doing better!

Michele, enjoy your 4 day weekend. You need it! You're always so busy. Sorry to hear about DH's frustrations (and that you won't be Shannon's new best friend in Atlanta, lol). Isn't it sad when we have to say "I've been eating too many red grapes?" It's not like we're eating to many cookies, or potato chips, or pieces of bread even. I have to portion out grapes when I buy them, and don't buy them that often. Cherries I can't resist buying but I portion them out too!

Dagmar, you, and DH, and Dagmar are a family! Besides I'm sure some of your clients will be taking the day off, too. Enjoy your holiday and decluttering. I've made some progress on my decluttering, but haven't finished yet.

Midwife, I've been poking my head in on the NROLW thread and seen you there. You look great in your avatar pic, BTW! A few years ago I got into fairly serious weightlifting, but even though I was in maintenance I never had the discipline to stick to a diet to keep me very skinny. It was actually during my slow re-gain... so that is a reason I have some misgivings. Also I already have linebacker shoulders, lifting only further enhances this and makes dresses hard to zip. But if I can't find the right balance between lifting and eating this time, I can always retool and change what I'm doing. I'll try to pay attention to lessons learned in the past in that regard.

I was very good last night. BF wanted to go meet some of his friends for happy hour. I told him I was trying not to drink and reminded him I was trying to lose weight, and it was hard for me to just have one glass of wine in that setting. He understood, went himself, and came home to have dinner with me in less than an hour. Today he's going for an overnight dirt bike riding trip w a friend. Emma and I will go for a long wog, then I will finish some cleaning, and veg out on the couch and watch some "Downton Abbey" recommended by my mom. I had planned a pork loin and some sides for dinner, and I'll still make it even though it's just me - I love easy leftover dinners during the week when I come in the door hungry.

Have a nice Sunday all. Enjoy your long weekends if you've got them!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #54  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Oh, my goodness! A bunch of friends from high school just decided to do a big get-together in March 2013 to celebrate everyone's 50th birthdays. It's over MY birthday, so I just have to go, don't I? I'm booked and everything. We're going to hike, do yoga, hike, take a boat ride, do pilates, eat and drink and have fun for like 6 days! DH had his feathers a little ruffled when I told him it's a girls weekend! LOL
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:25 PM   #55  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Allison. sounds like you will need to do a lot of hiking and pilates to offset the eating and drinking that is bound to happen.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:29 AM   #56  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
Oh, my goodness! A bunch of friends from high school just decided to do a big get-together in March 2013 to celebrate everyone's 50th birthdays. It's over MY birthday, so I just have to go, don't I? I'm booked and everything. We're going to hike, do yoga, hike, take a boat ride, do pilates, eat and drink and have fun for like 6 days! DH had his feathers a little ruffled when I told him it's a girls weekend! LOL
It's always great to celebrate the milestone birthdays. You will have that happy memory to look back on. And a year of anticipating how much fun you'll have. Enjoy!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #57  
Workin' It

Michele - I'm sorry to hear about DH and the Atlanta job.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:23 PM   #58  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
Michele - I'm sorry to hear about DH and the Atlanta job.
me too!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote