Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-23-2011, 08:51 AM   #1  
Keep on Moving!

Default Well, here I am...

... and it feels really weird. I've been losing weight since 28th February and last night, I reached my goal weight. I've gone from 11 stone 13 (167lb) to 9 stone (126lbs).

My calorie allowance was 1400 per day and now my class leader has put it up to 1800. She said that eventually it will go up again but she didn't want to scare me by putting it up to 2000 all at once. To be honest, going up 400 calories is scary enough!

After the initial euphoria of last night, now I'm thinking: OK, so I've met my goal - now what do I do? It all feels a bit strange. Did anyone else experience this? How did you increase your calories? She did give me some ideas and I've got an information sheet to tell me what to do. I think I'm just feling a bit lost, now that I'm not striving towards a target any more.
georgeshair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:59 AM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

No advice but I just wanted to say congratulations!

Wait- maybe you could work on toning or something? Just to have another goal?
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:49 AM   #3  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

Congrats on the weight loss and on meeting goal! You are not the only one who feels lost after hitting goal. I hit goal last month and it was really weird. What to do now? I increased my calories by 200-300 per day and went from 1300 to 1500-1600. But, on the weekends I have been a piggy, so I need to stop doing that. Maybe think of a new goal outside of weight loss? For example, I'm training for a 5K in October, so that is my new "thing." Good luck to you...and trust me, you aren't the only one that feels strange!
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Congratulations!
I see you're in the UK. What plan did you use if you don't mind my asking?

It is weird when you hit goal. We all experience it. It is important to remember you aren't "done" now. I found it helpful to make further goals to keep myself motivated. I awarded myself (with a charm for my bracelet) for each month I stayed at or below goal. I've set fitness goals. You've worked hard. Congrats!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:52 PM   #5  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Just wanted to chimme in and congratulate you,and also remind you that as soon as you make a big jump up like that in calories, expect to see the scale go up a couple pounds or more....
Im telling you this so you dont freak out and think you are gaining weight. The few pounds are going to be the PHYSICAL weight of havingmore food in your system, and therefore more glycogen in your muscles and liver, and THEREFORE more water weight as well... its all normal, and will stabilize after a couple weeks, as long as you have patience and stay consistent... if you start freaking out and restricting again, and then stop restricting, and then restricting...... its kjust going to be a lot harder on your body

Stick to the 1800... dont step on the scale for a week or 2... everyting is fine, and will be.

I agree that it DOES feel like your lost when you hit a gaol, ANY GOAL.... the solution? PIck a new goal to focuas on..... fitness realted, learning a new skill or craft, doing a large project (home or garden wise), etc
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:00 PM   #6  
Keep on Moving!

Thank you all for your replies. I think you're right, I need a new challenge. Toning up sounds like a good one to start with - I'm more 'skinny fat' than toned at the moment.

Traveling Michele, I'm on the Rosemary Conley plan. I go to classes twice a week, although only one of them is my official weigh-in. I'm planning to continue, as I love the exercise (Zumba!) and I've made friends there. My franchisee is also very supportive and helpful.

I've been lurking on the maintainers threads for a while now, so it's strange to finally be posting here! I've never really 'done' maintenance before - in the
past, I was either losing weight or putting it back on.
georgeshair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:15 PM   #7  
Workin' It

Congratulations on your loss!

I agree that it feels weird when you hit goal and don't have a specific thing to work for anymore. I had to set fitness goals so I didn't over think everything around me, gave some focus.

Check out the weekly chat!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:55 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 287/175/180

Height: 5'9"

My goal is to never gain the weight back. This is quite the daunting goal, and I will have to work on it for the rest of my life. Maintaining your weight is work, just like losing it.
Training for something is a good idea- maybe a 5K or something, gives you something to work for fitness wise.
k8yk is offline   Reply With Quote