Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-20-2011, 06:08 PM   #1  

Default I can never understand myself!

So I recently lost a lot of weight largely due to stress and everyone keeps telling me I look too thin. I must admit that I agree. BUT, how do you gain weight without going crazy I only need to gain about +/- 5lbs. Today I woke up really hungry and my sugar was low because I felt a little light headed. So I had some Kellogs with skim milk, then I took my kids to McDonalds to play and got really hungry so I ate a fruit and nut salad which was a complete waste of money. What a joke! There were like 5 pieces of apple, three grapes, seven or eight small walnut pieces and about 1/4 cup yogurt which totalled 210 cal and 8g Fat! Anyway I felt like I was on the right path only to come home and completely binge. I don't know how to eat if I'm not on a diet. I have always eaten according to a plan or a schedule and now for the first time EVER I am doing the exact opposite and I'm freaking out. Instead of being happy that I can kind of eat anything I want I am eating way too much and then feeling very unhappy after. Right now I am so upset for loosing control and so scared I'm going to wake up overweight again. I guess in the back of my mind what I fear most is that I get used to this way of eating and overdo it only to have to go on another diet. OMG please help!
usam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:07 PM   #2  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

S/C/G: 320/Ticker/200

Height: 5'10

The trick is to eat "on plan" just as if you were trying to lose weight only add a few more calories like 200 more or so as a snack etc and do weight training. It will VASTLY improve everything GOOD LUCK!
SMSDREAMER2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:23 PM   #3  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

The Maintainers forum has tons of information and helpful people with experience in just this sort of difficulty!

Good luck--and congrats on your loss!!
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:54 AM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Contrats on the weight loss

I would say don't change your diet habits, just add a handful of nuts, or a tablespoon of oil to your meal(s), maybe more fruit...something healthy.

I am going to move this to maintainers... hope they can give you more ideas.

Leenie
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:12 AM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey! welcome!

I'd say your mistake was going for the sugary, refined foods, like the cereal. Also, skim milk has carbs but no fat to offset it. Then at McD's, you had more sugar (fruit). At that point you are primed to go off... Of course, this is only my opinion.

If you need to add more calories, add protein--and make sure the carbs you eat are whole-grain, complex carbs without a lot of added sugar or high-fructose corn syrup. For example, you could have had a boiled egg (whole egg, not egg white) and a serving of oatmeal for breakfast. Or a protein-rich bar or shake. Or, a whole-grain cereal with 1% milk instead of skim. (Always read the labels to make sure the first two or three ingredients are not sugar.)

Good luck!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:39 AM   #6  

Thanks! I totally agree JayEll. I know I made a mistake, yesterday was a bad, bad day but I won't dwell on it. Today is a new day and off to a great start! I am always afraid to eat because I am afraid to gain even though I know I need to. I know that sounds strange. I have never been good at maintaining and thats what I want to learn to do.
I have to sit down today and figure out a plan of attack. So any help is greatly appreciated!
usam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:48 AM   #7  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I'd recommend keeping a food log and then post on here what you're eating for an average type of day....then, people can really help you fine tune it. I highly recommend the nuts....almonds or cashews are great raw. Avocado is great too thanks to all the nutrients and healthy fat. Brazil nuts are full of wonderful nutrition. I'd say peanuts are the worst choice for nuts but sure are tasty. Congrats on your loss!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote