Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 03-06-2011, 10:07 AM   #1  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Default An experiment....

So I know I can't not calorie count, which is weird considering I lost 2/3s of my weight without it, oh yeah and I maintained weight after my DS was born for a for 6 months without it, but I'm going to try an experiement. I know it's going to be difficult to do, because of how I track my cals, but I'm going to track them BUT not look at the the total. So I will eat the same way I've been eating, but NOT rearrange snacks and meals to "fit" into a certain "limit". I will eat more intuitively and eat my more calorie dense snacks because I'm either hungry or because I'm gearing up for a big run or workout or heck because I want to. I'm hoping this less obsessive, less restrictive way will curb the binging some what.

To be honest, this is the probably the thing I'm going to try before I just, well to be really honest, give up trying "figure" out the whole binging issue and just let it be. If I continue to maintain and still have binging issues on the weekends then who cares right? Sorry, I know that may or may not be the right attitude, but I'm a little irritated with trying to "figure" this out. This weekend has been ok. I didn't binge Friday, but binged a little on Saturday. In the scheme of my binges, Saturdays wasn't too bad and last Friday's binge wasn't too bad. The last two weekends have been limited to one day binges instead of two or three,so maybe I'm making progress. So maybe acceptance is a better path for me.

So anyway, I think it's time for me to find a way to be at peace with my food issues and enjoy life.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:43 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

I'm VERY interested in how this experiment goes for you. I've thought about experimenting with something similar when I reach maintenance.

How do you track? I use MyPlate, and think the logistics of not knowing my total would be almost impossible.

Good luck!
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:18 PM   #3  
No description available.

Having a binge eating disorder can be pretty serious. Have you seen a counselor for this behavior?
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:35 PM   #4  
Closet health nut!

No I haven't seen anyone, honestly I'm afraid and I just don't feel like they are going to tell me anything I don't already know. I've done it as far back as I can remember and it comes in waves. Right now I'm in one of those waves.

Jen I use loseit on my phone, not sure how I'll avoid seeing the numbers...
Old 03-06-2011, 07:59 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 205/205/130-1st goal under 200

Height: 5'4

First let me say good luck,
I personally need to count calories to maintain a certain schedule and control.
If you are having binging issues then I think your plan might work just try to not starve yourself and allow yourself to eat during the day in moderation and maybe that will avoid the binging in the weekends.
strength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:17 PM   #6  
Year 9 in Maintenance

S/C/G: 271/125/115

Height: 5'0"

That sounds like a good plan to me.

I've dealt with binge tendencies all my life.
I found that, while many years of Therapy didn't stop my behavior,
it did teach me a great deal of self-acceptance.
Bright Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:46 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 227/159/148

Height: 5'9"

I think your idea is quite interesting.

Also, regarding you binge addiction, a therapist would probably want to pinpoint what actions during the week culminate in a binge. Our brain has this 'addiction' switch - when the switch is turned, we naturally yearn desperately to satisfy that certain desire (yours would be binging).

For example, drinking alcohol 'turns the switch on' for many people to smoke. The brain has associated the stimulus with the desire. Or, when I used to smoke, writing papers and concentration always turned the switch on.

Disassociating the two is very hard work, but it is possible. Most importantly, learn to recognize the stimuli so that you can learn to control the subsequent desire. This would probably be the reason your binging occurs in cycles (btw, this is only one example of a therapeutic approach, particularly one you could try on your own).

Also, you've had a calorie deficit for quite some time. It does catch up with you physically - so I think your attempt to try and find a more moderate calorie intake that is aligned with the needs of your body is commendable. You always write about your love for exercise - that will help your efforts.

Last edited by bonnnie; 03-07-2011 at 01:47 AM.
bonnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:05 AM   #8  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

Good luck with it ncuneo! I am hoping to read how it goes for you. I just wrote a post about binging and I am hoping very shortly (when I reach maintenance) that I can try something similar.
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:53 AM   #9  

Height: 5 foot 2 and a half (Don't forget the half lol!)

One day I hope to maintain without counting calories too. Good luck!
Heavenseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:23 AM   #10  
Closet health nut!

So far it's not working...I have to figure out a way to cover the total on the screen. Oh well, guess I'll try again tomorrow.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:42 AM   #11  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Can you tally calories in your head? Would you be ok with that?

I know how many meals I'm going to eat a day and how many calories I want to eat in that day, so I just divide that number by my number of meals and make sure I eat ABOUT that many calories in all my meals. This way, I don't feel like I'm counting calories. I know my apples is 80 calories, my glass of milk is 90, my sandwich is about 200, etc. There's no obsessing and no tracking and no total to cover up on the screen.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:25 AM   #12  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

I was going to suggest tracking on paper during this experiment. Or if you're picky about tracking on LoseIt (I like tracking on MyPlate to see my macronutrients and fiber totals) maybe your husband can track for you for a while there?
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:12 PM   #13  
Closet health nut!

Good suggestion ladies. I don't know...I'm just at such a loss. I think I'm just obsessing about everything right now, because I'm bored and have nothing else to do, and I just need to stop it. I have "rules" for how I eat M-Th and have no problems with those whatsoever. I don't feel deprived, and I don't really think about it much, it's just how it works. My life is so schedule, except the weekends, and this may be part of the issue...I don't know.

I'm just mentally exhausted, so at this point I may abandon the experiment that never even started and just continue the M-Th schedule through the weekend. No if ands or buts. I'll still allow for a dinner out once a week, but that's it. I know that I'm now going in the complete opposite direction, but I think that structure, rules and schedule work better for me. That's why weight loss is so easy right, there are less decisions to be made. So unless it's part of a "scheduled" treat then it's a no for me. I really didn't want to be one of "those" sticks in the mud, but I think that's just the way it needs to be for me right now.

I just don't think I can emotionally handle the freedome of maintenance at this junction so it's back to rigidity for me...
Old 03-08-2011, 03:33 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 175/147/145

Height: 5' 3"

Thumbs up The Experiment

OMG! what a good idea. I often run a little tally in my head as I prepare a meal. But I think you're right. If I thought it out ahead and then remembered how many meals. Literally, that's all I would have to think about. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
Can you tally calories in your head? Would you be ok with that?

I know how many meals I'm going to eat a day and how many calories I want to eat in that day, so I just divide that number by my number of meals and make sure I eat ABOUT that many calories in all my meals. This way, I don't feel like I'm counting calories. I know my apples is 80 calories, my glass of milk is 90, my sandwich is about 200, etc. There's no obsessing and no tracking and no total to cover up on the screen.
jojotheyoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:22 PM   #15  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

ncuneo, I was JUST starting the EXACT same kind of thing today, haha. We're on the same wavelength on so many things. I'm falling back in the pattern of lower is better. Restrict, restrict, restrict. I haven't binged for nearly a month which is huge for me, but at the same time, my calories for the last week have been (approximately, I rounded) 1200, 1200, 1150, 1100, 1000, 1000, and then I felt "good" about myself because I ate 967 stinkin calories yesterday. And I know that when I get in that restricting pattern, I get freakin hungry, and that leads to binges. Which leads to guilt and more restricting. I'm still trying to lose those dang few pounds I put on during my terrible month. But really, even that is just stupid overly obsessive ridiculousness. I was 128.4lbs yesterday, and I want to be at 125-127. I mean, really? How insignificant. Why do I feel like I need to starve myself on 967cal to get back to my 125-127?

So today I was just going to (try, at least) eat what I want but stay on plan. If that makes sense. My plan today is to not have a plan, and eat what on plan foods I want until I'm satisfied, but not let myself equate "eating until I'm satisfied" with "eating whatever the heck I want." I will record what I eat but not add it up until tonight. If it's 1800 cal, so be it. I think just because my brain knows it's an experiment for one day, I'll be able to rein it in and "behave" for this one day. I'm not telling myself I'm now an intuitive eater, I'm telling myself I'm gonna try it for a day.

I know you've been thinking a lot about your binge patterns and what causes them/how to break yourself of them. One thing I've noticed in your posts is you've been more or less labeling yourself as a weekend binger. Almost as if it's something that's out of your control. And please don't get me wrong, I also struggle with binges, and I know that sometimes it really 100% feels like something we can't control. We think it's either going to happen or it's not going to happen, but we hope it doesn't. When in reality, yea, it's either going to happen or it's not going to happen, but we're in control to decide if it happens or not. My thing was every time I went to the grocery store during my bad month, I'd buy candy. It felt like an inevitible thing. I didn't want to buy the candy, it just happened. I hoped I wouldn't buy it, but I did. I dreaded going to the store, because "I would have to buy candy." I labeled myself as a candy buyer, it was just something I did. Like you label yourself as a weekend binger. I finally snapped myself out of the routine. I know that's so hard to do, because if it was that easy to just quit, you would have already....I've just noticed the way you put it in words is "I binge on weekends" like you have no control over it happening or not, but just hope it doesn't.

Good luck, I hope it goes well for you
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote