Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-16-2011, 08:52 PM   #1  
Maintainer since 12/21/10

S/C/G: 260/144/145

Height: 5'5"

Default Starting to feel real

Even though it's taken me 2 years to get to goal, on some level it hasn't sunk in yet. I think I hit a milestone-of-sorts today.

When the weather is inclement, or just colder than I feel like dealing with, I exercise by walking around a large discount store for a little over half an hour. I generally buy something so I don't feel like a total dork.

Anyway, today I got the urge to try on pants. I've been wearing mainly very old 18/20's that are somewhat big on me. I've bought a couple of shirts and sweaters that are 8/10 but thought I might be a size bigger on the bottom because my waist is still a bit large.

I randomly picked Faded Glory jeans in a 10 and a 12. I tried on the 12 first, and it was noticeably loose. But the 10 fit me perfectly. Didn't have to pull it tight, legs and backside kind of flattering, and only the tiniest bit of muffin-top.

I reacted a bit oddly--mainly head-shaking disbelief. The evidence keeps piling up that I'm a medium-sized woman, so I guess it's time to start believing it.

I didn't buy the jeans because I need to put some thought into what sort of wardrobe I want to have. I've never really had a sense of style (even when I was this size in my twenties), and I'm not sure if I'm interested in developing one or not. I could continue to wear black or blue bottoms, pullover tops, and no accessories, or I could try to become fashionable. I've already read a couple of interesting threads in the "Looking Good" forum that make me feel like a visitor from another planet--I know one place to go if I need suggestions.
Oboegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:35 PM   #2  

Congratulations! So happy for you.
bethintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:13 PM   #3  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

That's a wonderful milestone to hit, Oboegal! Feeling "real" and accepting that you wear a smaller size is something everyone who loses weight struggles with. Congratulations!
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

Congrats!

I think size 18/20 must be falling off of you! I understand wanting to cultivate a style, but what about buying some staples that fit well? I bet you will feel great wearing things that fit. Jeans, plain tees, black pants. Those will go with basically any style you move into.
rachael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:56 AM   #5  
Maintainer since 12/21/10

S/C/G: 260/144/145

Height: 5'5"

Thanks, krampus. It's wonderful having someplace to talk about getting used to the new reality where people don't think it's weird.

rachael, some of these pants are so old that I think they're noticeably smaller than "today" 18/20's. I agree that I should at least buy some better-fitting black pants. I tend to procrastinate when I have to make choices to buy something (it took me about 2 1/2 years to buy a digital camera). I think I need to shift my mindset from "what kind of waist/cut/material/etc. should I buy" and instead just try on some pants to see what looks good!

I was able to resurrect several 25-year-old tops that actually fit well and are flattering, and I've bought a couple of others, so I'm doing OK from the waist up.
Oboegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:39 AM   #6  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

The "feeling real" issue is something I struggle with from day to day. I feel your pain.

I agree that properly fitted clothes would help, but I also understand the reluctance to go out and buy. In my case, I'm on a pretty tight budget. A friend convinced me to buy a couple of pairs of pants that fit well (a pair of black and a pair of khaki, both from An Taylor Loft) and they have made all the difference! Jeans I'll get cheap, and tops too - try Target, Kohl's, and even Wal-Mart - but the difference those pants have made in my appearance has been worth the effort and money.

Last edited by JenMusic; 01-17-2011 at 10:40 AM.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote